Despair with the settings for EATTR and DUAL ISO on my 7D

Started by Wartburg-Entertainment, November 03, 2014, 11:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wartburg-Entertainment

I can adjust what I want. After the post process I have dark images, I need to lighten in Lightroom.
This of course created a lot of noise. What am I doing wrong?
It can not be right but that to use AETTR to afterwards to make dark images bright.
Currently I am working with the Lightroom plugin.
Problem persists even at default settings in the camera ...

regards

garry23

One thing to check is how high was the DR of the scene.

If you had a dominant bright point and ETTR set to accept 0 highlights, the image could well turn out as you say.

Check your ETTR workflow with 'flat' scene.

Another thing to note is that with ETTR you have highlight %. Okay with this.

Personally, I only use highlight %, ie set all other option to zero. I also don't link to Dual from ETTR, but prefer to gave Dual on all the time, for that 'boost'.

Levas

It's very common that you need to brighten dual iso images in post.
You're saving the highlights with the low iso and have enough detail and less noise in the shadows because of the higher iso.
BUT after the conversion, the images always look (brightness wise) like images made with the lowest iso.

In lightroom, with most dual iso images I move the exposure slider to the right (2 or 3 stops, sometimes even more), I pull the highlights back with the highlights slider.
And I move the shadow slider to the right.

This will of course add some noise, but not as much as would have with a normal image (try it out, take 2 exact same photos, one with dual iso and one without and go to lightroom...)

DeafEyeJedi

I second that @Levas -- totally common for them to come out quite dark otherwise it'd be pointless to use Dual-ISO...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Wartburg-Entertainment

I think the approach of Garry goes in the right direction.
Is the dual-link and then make off with AETTR two images.
A picture in the dark area of ​​the image and an image in the bright area.
Remember ISO and then adjust manually. Will try today the times.

Thank you

garry23

@W-E

I reread my post and noted I had included many iPad 'corrected' mistakes. At the risk of boring you, I offer a few other thoughts. BTW I have written about my ML experiences here: photography.grayheron.net. You may find a few hints of value to you in my humble blog.

As I implied, these days I find myself nearly always using A-ETTR and Dual, ie together. I sometimes use the alternating dual capability, ie take one image dual and repeat the shot to get an image without dual.

I use the dual conversion plug-in in LR.

These days I rarely bracket unless the scene truly has a very large DR.

In this case I simply switch off dual, ETTR to get the base exposure set and use auto bracketing.

The bottom line for me is, that there are three killer ML features that every photographer should use in their capture workflow : A-ETTR, Dual-ISO and auto bracketing. 

Wartburg-Entertainment

I have after much try now following adjustment for me as the best.
AETTR:
Trigger Mode: Auto-Snap
Exposure Target: -0,5EV (indoor)
Highlightignore: 0.5%
Midton and Shadow SNR limit: OFF
Link to Dualiso: OFF
Link to Canon Shutter: OFF

DUAL-ISO:
Recovery ISO: + 3EV

So is it then before actually the result after converting with CR2HDR bright images.
This can be dan pull in the exposure down.
Disadvantage is a bit that all images are dual-Iso.
So it's a bit time consuming to edit.
But the result that counts.

greeting

garry23

@W-E

Remember you can also tell Dual-ISO to only do a dual ever other shot. This means you ETTR then, using that ETTR setting, take two shots. One will be dual the other wont.

Good luck with your experiments

garry23

@W-E

Forgot to say that after converting your dual to a tiff, make sure you explore the highlight and shadow sliders, assuming your using LR or Bridge.

What I tend to do is highlight and shadows, then white and black, then overall exposure, then go back and adjust the first four sliders.

I tend to prefer a slightly darker image, which I then relight with other tools in either LR or Ps.

Cheers

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109