Canon 7D Mark II

Started by Pelican, November 02, 2014, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalVeil

If there hasn't been anything posted on the progress of it in weeks, I think it's safe to assume it's dead.  At least for the time being.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

hesham007

so. its officially released for 5Div but not yet for 7dii .. feels so bad  :(
Body: 7DMKII-600D.. +Glass: 50mm f/1.2 - 18-135mm stm

ddelreal

Officially released? 5D4? I don't think so.

josepvm

hesham007 is probably talking about this:

http://www.canonrumors.com/magic-lantern-cracks-the-eos-5d-mark-iv/

That is not an ML official release announcement, and does not show ML running on 5D Mk IV.  It only shows the portable binary test, that runs on many cameras that do not have a ML port for them.

And as A1ex said, the first ML port for Digic 6/6+/7 cameras probably will be the 80D port. Porting ML to 7D Mk II is a lot more challenging, because of the dual Digic.

KelvinK

Quote from: hesham007 on November 07, 2016, 11:39:34 PM
so. its officially released for 5Div but not yet for 7dii .. feels so bad  :(

Forget about 7DII ML. I'm sorry guys, but you bought wrong camera.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

ddelreal

Quote from: KelvinKForget about 7DII ML. I'm sorry guys, but you bought wrong camera.

I don't believe that. ML for the 7D2 may be more difficult to achieve because of the Dual Digic, but IMHO, it would be one of the best for ML.

eduperez

Quote from: ddelreal on November 09, 2016, 05:32:43 PM
I don't believe that. ML for the 7D2 may be more difficult to achieve because of the Dual Digic, but IMHO, it would be one of the best for ML.

Being "one of the best for ML" is not a guarantee of being achievable, IMHO.

KelvinK

Quote from: ddelreal on November 09, 2016, 05:32:43 PM

There's no need to believe it or not :) It's a fact. The main reason why old 7D got ML port was quite big amount of camera owners and devs with free time. 7D was a successful Canon's camera and was one of the best crop camera at time of release. 7D2 unfortunately not at all.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

ddelreal

Quote from: eduperezBeing "one of the best for ML" is not a guarantee of being achievable, IMHO.

Agreed, never meant that it should. Just a hope.

Quote from: KelvinKThere's no need to believe it or not :) It's a fact. The main reason why old 7D got ML port was quite big amount of camera owners and devs with free time. 7D was a successful Canon's camera and was one of the best crop camera at time of release. 7D2 unfortunately not at all.

Yeah, I get it. I have already been in contact with a couple of Devs over PM about it, I understand that it takes time and the dual Digic is more difficult. The 7D2 may never see ML and I'm okay with that. My opinion is that the 7D2 could be the crop version of the 5D3 with ML - Dual Pixel Auto Focus doesn't hurt either. Also, to your point about "wrong camera", I love my 7D2's. I use them with a Ninja2 and get beautiful ProRes 422HQ - even though it's still 8 bit, the 422 color space helps somewhat.

g3gg0

dont forget that adding even the most unimportant feature to ML will cause the effort to check its impact on a dozen cameras.
will it boot? will it work? does it cause weirdnesses? etc.

dropping 10 old camera models and make a "new models only" version would make you happy.
and a million of other users unhappy.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Lukey

Purchased my 7D2 this time last year for an amazing deal of £800, was really pleased with it but the video was not quite there as we all probably agree which is why we're here. What does everyone think, sell my camera now for more than I bought it most likely and move to mirrorless, or wait it out for this development. I am confident the talented devs will get there one day after learning more about the Dual digic chips but just not sure if I am prepared to wait. Anyone on the fence like myself? Would like to hear what others are going to do with their slightly annoying 7D2's. (I am thinking sony alpha platform at this stage but don't really know much about it)

P.s I call the camera annoying but don't get me wrong; the stills from this camera are beautiful.

ddelreal

Act like there will never be ML for the 7D2. In the meantime, I just use the Atomos Ninja 2 to record ProRes 422HQ via the clean HDMI out (using Technicolor Cinestyle).

Lukey

How do you find grading cinestyle prores footage vs the cameras internal rec with cinestyle?

ddelreal

Just a minor improvement. It's still 8 bit but at least it's 422 color space. Helps (very little) with highlights, less banding.

gsanchez922

Sorry for my opinions but if everyone really need RAW video just get a blackmagic pocket or micro they are both 1080p 23.98, 24, 30 fps and micro has 59 and 60 fps.

ddelreal

Well since I already own a couple of 550D's and a couple of 7D2's, I'd say it's a welcome addition to have Magic Lantern available for Raw and other things (hoping 7D2 version comes soon). If I were to purchase any new camera now it would shoot 4K or better at this point. Neither BMC Micro and Pocket offer that.

I'm actually considering the new DJI X5S with the Inspire 2 Drone, shoots 5.2K Raw.

zzzthump

Hi All

Great to see some great progress in attempting to port ML to 7DMk2 or 80D. Which brings me to this question. I have a 40D thats got a broken CF pin and needs some TLC, so in the meantime I need to replace my camera. Tossing up on a 7DMk2 or an 80D. Which would be most likely to get a port for ML and could I assist in anyway? I have some background in electronics and can certainly run up some photo diodes/serial ports etc to assist. No programming or debug knowledge however sorry. Unsure of FW version on camera when I purchase either.

Let me know.

Thanks

Walter Schulz

Magic Ball says: 80D will get ported first.
But there is no ETA. Count years, not weeks.

isko

Hi there,I am using Canon 5D Mark iii with your firmware and many thanks for your works. The words are not enough to explain my respect to you guys.
I want to ask you simple question about 7D Mark ii. As far as i can see Canon will never use 4K option in their Cameras until bankruptcy of their company.  If Magic Lantern wont do something there will never be 4K in 7D Mark ii.  Before selling my 7D Mark ii, I want to ask you that do you have any plan about Magic Lantern for 7D Mark ii ? I am still struggling for using the Canon because I cant left my lens sets, I spend many of year for collect them and there is an emotional connection between us:).
Have a Good Evening
Best Regards
Iskender Sisman

dmilligan

Quote from: isko on December 21, 2016, 07:47:39 PM
As far as i can see Canon will never use 4K option in their Cameras until bankruptcy of their company.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv/12
The 5D Mark IV is capable of capturing 4K video at both 24p and 30p

Peter Linov

I'm not sure, but ... isko, he speaks about something else, about the alternative firmware .... no?

corebee

Got a 7dII here. I'm in for tests and other stuff even if I'm a noob in programming.

Inviato dal mio LG-D855 utilizzando Tapatalk

Metadata.xml

I too, have a 7DM2 and would love to beta test any version of ML that may be in the works :)
7DM2
Sigma 18-35 f/1.8

a1ex

If there's anything worth testing, it can be found in this thread.