Canon 7D Mark II

Started by Pelican, November 02, 2014, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

forrestjr

I bought mine back in Nov '14 to replace my old 7D.  Great camera!!  Very happy overall and looking forward to a ML port.

...but I'm having forward focus problems on all of my Canon lenses...  :(

I've been slowly using the DotTune method for all of them and getting better results. Highly recommend calibrating before going on holiday. Cheers! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zE50jCUPhM
---------------
7D Mark II, lots of lenses & memory cards, stinks at Photoshop

c4v3man

Is there any way to help sponsor a 7D MK2 for an accomplished developer? I donated some to the generic magic lantern bitcoin address when I still had a 70D, but would like to help contribute towards a 7DMKII port. Even $20-50 from relatively few people would be able to cover a dev-cam.

It sounds like the original 7D was a bear, something about the dual DIGIC right?

EDIT: I realize it might not even be a matter of finances, but more of time. I understand the complexity of coding, and am not suggesting giving someone a 7DMK2 would magically produce a port unless they were actually interested in doing the extensive and time consuming work involved.

Pelican

Unless you convince g3gg0 to do it -> there will be no ML for 7D2.
He did the magic breakthrough with the 7D...
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

g3gg0

hey.
its mainly an issue of spare time.
we need more devs who can keep up maintaining the supported models.
before that isnt resolved, its reckless to add another model.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

foobarbarian

Hi,

I do have a 7DII and and some knowledge in reverse engineering and embedded development. The current problem apparently is that the known ways of getting the firmware fail with the 7DII.

DomeCGI

Hi i know is not good asking on developing release times and i know developers are really busy at the moment.

But like many others i really need to have a ML on the 7D MKII .

Is possible to have any general idea on many time it can take to be compiled? weeks? months? 2-3-6 ?
is possible to make a donation specific for this developing?

Thanks in advance to all ML programmers.

vyskocil

I received my 7D mark II the last Saturday, great upgrade from the "old" 7D  I was using until now with ML since it has been available.
I already participated to ML development for the 7D, mainly back porting code to the main trunk like FPS override, raw recording display indicator,... Also fixing some code to let it work for 7D, like fullres silent pics,...
I'm very interested to participate on a 7D mark II port !
As I understand it we are stuck now on the firmware dumping as there is no firmware upgrade available ?

Walter Schulz

See 70D thread: No firmware update but porting is going on.

vyskocil

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 13, 2015, 04:25:02 PM
See 70D thread: No firmware update but porting is going on.

Yes, I did and have understood that the first action we have to do is to dump the firmware memory using a signed code, I'm right ?

Walter Schulz

That's for g3gg0 and a1ex to answer, I think.

g3gg0

aside from that my main concern is that we do not have developers who provide long term support.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Pelican

It would be great to see the potentials in the 7D2... Right now it could be the best camera for RAW video.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Danne

KelvinK

Yeah, with DualPixel AF and RAW it could be best camera with price tag <3k$, but probably never happen.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

dienossa

Stepping up from a t3i I've been enjoying my 7D2 for photography work but I'm really excited to see what it will do with ML installed. I'm crossing fingers hopefully that happens soon  :)

DomeCGI

We really need to have ML run on the 7D MKII. 

ansius

Knowing how the things are happening here, unless a keen developer does not have 7Dmk2 in his hands and a lot of spare time - won't happen. Dual processor is difficult without knowledge how the load is arranged and managed. and for 7Dmk2 it is DUAL DIGIC 6 (5Ds & 5Dr also), so new processor, so that would take more time. And also there are many features that have to be finished for current cameras, before jumping to new ones.

yes 7Dmk2 seams to be very promising, with the few glimpses I had it in my hands and could do tests - I love the results.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

foobarbarian

Could a dev outline how to get the firmware?

Right now the only starting point I know is waiting for an update.

nikfreak

As far as I know the actual firmware dumping method won't work for dual-digic6 (yet to be confirmed for single digic6 @a1ex  8)). So you have to wait for an official 7D2-firmware to be released by canon.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Infraspace

Canonrumours have written about a 7D2 firmware update coming in the next few weeks, and that should make a magic lantern port possible, right? Of course a dev will have to spend time on it tho. If it is a matter of financials i would love to support it. I run ML on my T3I right now, and i really want to be able to use magic lantern as fast as possible when i pick up a 7D2 by the end of the month.

Infraspace

Sources say the first firmware UPDATE for the 7D2 will be available tomorrow!