5DMk II Crop Mode HDMI output of Global Draw ML grayscale preview

Started by MacawDidi, October 30, 2014, 02:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacawDidi

Sorry for the long title  :o

Searched the board and couldn't find anything on this so had to post.

I'm (still) using Feb16 2014 Build. Filming in crop mode and using the Cineroid EVF4C. I understand one has to enable ML grayscale preview mode and enable global draw (GD) to see accurate framing on the 5D's liveview display. But does anyone know how to output this exact same GD view via the HDMI to the external EVF? It seems when connected, my EVF is displaying the non-GD field of view even though GD is already on (i.e. I can see all the GD overlays but the field of view is as if GD is not turned on). After tweaking all settings on my EVF I don't seem to find anything on it that can make it display that.

I did a test with tape marking on the wall, photos here:

The left and right boundaries as seen on Canon liveview with GD on (ML grayscale mode)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36WcmC25DT8MzUzcVVSTk5vUnM/view?usp=sharing

The left and right boundaries as seen on the EVF (also in the Canon liveview when GD is off)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36WcmC25DT8VnAzejljT09BRGM/view?usp=sharing

(the second shot the camera swung a bit to the left so the GD tape markings are a bit off from the previous pic)

I tried tweaking underscan options in my EVF, force HDMI-VGA in ML -  no difference in the results.

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you!

mothaibaphoto

Sorry for bumping so old thread, but this is exactly the same I see on 5D MKIII, 113, last night build: just pure canon 5x despite what i choose in preview... :(
After searching forum I find this thread and this one , but no clue on is it possible or not...
Does anyone use crop mode with external monitors? How do you frame you shots?

reddeercity

Yes I use 3x Crop a lot , I use a Zacuto EVF . I first Frame the shot with the full color preview
in Liveview , then with the EVF knowing that it will crop the image to 1920x1080
I keep track the center crop in the EVF. But for the most part I just use Liveview ,
and frame in full Color then record with the Gray quick preview or I just disable
ML Liveview and use the Canon Liveview and just show the center crop of the 3x Crop mode frame.
and lest with 5D2.