Cannot find .fir files for 600D or any 2.3 Stable Release

Started by onyou1007, October 28, 2014, 12:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onyou1007

Hi, first of all as I'm new to ML, this may sound like a stupid question but I cannot find any 2.3 releases for the 600D or for any camera for that matter. I have downloaded the nightly builds but nothing else is available to download. Is there a place where I can find the .fir files for the 600D?

Thanks

dmilligan

Looks like somebody finally removed the old stable release stuff from the website, which is great, it was incredibly old and out of date, and only served to confuse users. IMO, this should have been done a long time ago.

onyou1007

Then where can I find the .fir files to flash ML? I cannot seem to find it anywhere and the nightly builds don't seems to include them.

bczpkh

Hey onyou1007, I'm also new to the magic lantern realm and I'm having the same issue as you. I thought I needed to donate but I've seen Magic Lantern "How-To" videos showing the Stable Version v2.3 and downloading it without paying. Apparently, it seems, Nightly Builds require the initial installation of Stable Version v2.3 but I don't know. Just letting you know you aren't the only one in this strange situation.

onyou1007

As of now I cannot figure out how I would install ML without the .fir file as the camera won't update firmware without it, can anyone specify how else I would install ML or provide a link to the .fir files for the 600D?

Juanchi

I have the same problem, do I need to make a donation to get the last firmware?

Ares1856

I was having the same problem earlier but i managed to find a download link for 2.3 https://bitbucket.org/magiclantern/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-v2.3.550D.60D.600D.50D.500D.5D2.zip, I installed it and everything seems to be working so it might be safe to use.

nachordez

Yes, it's a mistake reported. There's no .fir file in the nightlies, so you need a 2.3 version to get it from. So, should not be removed from website...
EOS 600D  /  OpenSuse 13.1

bczpkh

Tried the link you gave me and it worked. I was able to at least install download and install ML. Now, I have to try and get RAW recording to work but that's a separate issue. Thanks Ares1856.