MLP - Mac OSX batch processing workflow (former cr2hdr-r)

Started by Danne, October 05, 2014, 04:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Feel free :). Main reason for this was I realized you have to have exiftool and dcraw installed in /usr/bin/ to get things going properly. Also added an if loop in bash which tells if you already have binaries installed or not.
Tried constructing a mac install package but failed so still using the command script  :P

DeafEyeJedi

Ahh I see. All is well though and I don't mind using Terminal ATM.

[emoji2]
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DeafEyeJedi

*Feedbacks*

Hi -- I just wanted to confirm w you that once I convert MLV's into DNG's from your app... They won't be able to show in Previews (unlike how it can with MLVFS) could this be related to Yosemite OS X?

MLVFS:

Cr2hdr-r 1.4:

Are you still running on Mavericks on your Mac?

Thanks for your handwork on this, as always!

Sean

Danne

I don, t think I have any previews in mavericks. What can be done is metadatupdate in bridge or lightroom which could include a preview but it takes some time with a lot of dngs to update.

DeafEyeJedi

Strange. I swear I could have seen previews from DNG's during the hey days of Mavericks...

But guess not since you have confirmed that I was in fact incorrect.

hmmm... Thanks again @Danne!

Danne

Update to 1.5. (first post)

Been playing around with awk in terminal which led to some updates.

- Faster exiftool handling. Applies same white level and other things all in one row. This leads to faster conversion times of dual iso files.
- Exiftool applies correct fps to RAW files.

DeafEyeJedi

Sweet!!! Will check it out tonight after work...

Thanks again, @Danne!

Danne

Cool.
About to implement HDR conversion into the app. Not the most popular feature nowadays but might be handy sometimes to someone :).
Some prores export too with automated upscaling for slowmovideos. A lot going on ;)

DeafEyeJedi

That's a cool feature add-on regarding HDR conversion.

It's you that may be able to revolutionize HDR back from the 'dead' with this awesome app of yours!

I started conversions of Dual-ISO photos and man you were right...

It is indeed faster -- well job done, Danne!

Looking forward to your next update w ProRes export as well as the automated upscaling for slo-mo's!

Such a tease after all...

;D

Danne

Updated to 1.8 and added ability to create hdr movies. The hdr script incorporated comes from Jerrykil. Also included an installation instruction.
Changed the thread title.
cr2hdr-r is able to handle the following files

-   dng (dual iso)
-   CR2 (dual iso)
-   MLV (both regular and dual iso + wav (should work with DaVinci resolve)
-   RAW (both regular and dual iso)*read "Good know"
-   HDR (MOV + wav (48, 50 or 60fps recommended. Fps is halfed. Script from Jerrykil)

Installation guide (app) http://youtu.be/LjbqfptpNac

downloads
cr2hdr-r 1.8 "app"Works with audio in DaVinci Resolve.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfirdFNOMWxTRFRveVE/view?usp=sharing

dubzeebass

Does this have the proper matrices and calibration that Andy600 uses with Cinelog? It's way easier and faster than MLVFS I'm sorry to say! Good job buddy.

Danne

Thanks!
No color matrice altering in these files. Might work to do but as for now it has to be done after the conversion step. Don, t know if it is someting that could be done with exiftool. Dmilligan, Andy600 or chmee would know more I, m certain.

DeafEyeJedi

Just got home from being on the road for work again. Tried downloading 1.8.

I guess it's getting more popular now than ever!

[emoji2]

Danne

Oops. Didn, t know there was downloading restrictions. Will look over this in the weekend :)

Danne

Thanks for checking download link Deafyeyejedi. There is now an alternative download link through dropbox added to the first page.

cr2hdr-r 1.8 app
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtm1fvabd2i84ub/cr2hdr-r%201.8%20app.zip?dl=0

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks @Danne for the follow up regarding the link. ALL GOOD so far!

However, I notice whenever I update the app and replace in Applications -- it still says version 1.2 from within the 'Info' ( but I know it.s 1.8 ) perhaps you already know about this?

Now I'm currently testing out MLV's converted from your latest app to verify the color-matrices... so exciting!

Will be using @Andy600's Cinelog's LUT's to see best results as possible...

Haven't tested HDR videos yet...  ;)

Danne

Aha, thanks for feedback. Gotta check issues later.
Havn, t implemented color matrices but it shouldn, t be to hard with exiftool. Would be nice to get some feedback on this once it, s implemented and how it will respond to Andy600 lut.

About HDR I recorded some raw 50fps and exported to prores in mlrawviewer with a flat setting before ttanscoding with cr2hdr-r.
Gave some fine results actually :)

Danne

cr2hdr-r version 2.0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfirQkpITV9SRktvQWM/view?usp=sharing

New stuff.
- Ability to transcode to ProRes with audio, both regular and dual iso files.
- Automated transcoding HDR raw files to ProRes. Slowmotion clips will be automatically adjusted to correct aspect ratio. Dual iso files will be brightened. (These settings can be tweaked in script).

How does it work:(check the pics)
1 - Run the app as usual pointing to parent directory with files
2 - At first run two folders will be created PRORES and HDR_RAW and the app will quit. Next step simply put the files inside the folders for which you want ProRes och HDR transcoding to ProRes and run the app again. Everything gets converted, both parent directory and newly added folders. In the end originals will be put into the ORIGINALS folder and the ProRes files will be moved to parent directory.

Please run the install.command again as it will install dcrawx86, an older build which works better than newer builds for now.

Feel free to test and give feedback.

DeafEyeJedi

Great STUFF @Danne! (Still says 1.2 within the INFO window) <--- Not a big deal! [emoji106]

I like how the app makes the PRORES & HDR_RAW folders before running it again the 2nd time in order to complete the process by creating DNG's as well as the ProRes.

Though I haven't test either Dual-ISO nor HDR yet. I'm getting ready for work as I type but ofc I ran a quick test TWICE with a small MLV file from 5D3 113.

*FEEDBACKS*

-I get prompted with an error after ProRes is finished rendering. (Thinking that it didn't work but was able to locate the .MOV file) However, I can still playback the ProRes Quicktime file that it created BUT apparently it makes it completely OE. Not sure if this is because the app thought it was a Dual-ISO and it wasn't?

-.MOV file

-.DNG file

Overall It's definitely getting closer...
:)

Danne

Thanks for testing. It is still very beta with the ProRes handling and the brigtness probably is due to as you say, thinking it,s a dual iso file. Actually, if the dng files are named with upper case letters DNG it will turn into dual iso brightness mode.
The error prompt is because of the app moving around in and out of different directories not ending and coming back as it should.  I,m trying to get it to work for all kind of transcoding scenarios but clearly it is getting harder and harder for every new implementation :).
I,ll check to see what can be done soon. Might have to diminish some possibilities in the end.
Version 1.8 might be the sweet spot for this project. HDR with Pro Res files created in Mlrawviewer and then put into the folder for conversion should work really good. Some fine luts in Mlrawviewer too.

Danne

DeafEyeJedi

*QUICKTEST* with latest nightly ( Jan 28 ) 5D3 in 60fps @ 50mm f5.6 w ETTR enabled.

HDR Video via ISO 100/1600 (Pre-cr2hdr-r): <--- though you could see the original HDR effect but Vimeo somehow made it go away? lol

HDR Video (Post-cr2hdr-r): <--- though I'm not sure where did the random flick come from?

Dual-ISO MLV (1728 x 606) via ISO 100/1600 (Pre-cr2hdr-r):

Dual-ISO MLV (1728 x 606) via ISO 100/1600 (Post-cr2hdr-r): <--- not sure how much brighter was this supposed to be? It looked quite the same.

Danne

Thanks! The second vid looks quite good. Strange that vimeo seems to runs some antiflicker in the first vid :). Or is transcoding 60 fps to 30fps?
The random flicker in the second vid is probably due to enfuse not working linear. Need some sort of "same level" setting for it as with dual iso ;).
I could push the dcraw brightness even further but it will kll the highlights. I think what is needed is some sort of flat setting. THe challenge would be to find some way to wor gamma, contrast in dcraw but when I tried I couldn,t get it to work any good.
There is also the possibilty to tweak ffmpeg settings and maybe apply a lut in there as well.
I,ll check in later, busy weekend. Thanks for now.

DeafEyeJedi

Appreciated... Take your time, Mate!

*cheers* for yet another epic accomplishment in this app...

[emoji482]

DeafEyeJedi

*UPDATE*

This morning I shot a brief BTS for a friend's promo shoot w 5D3... even though it's not necessarily required to shoot RAW/MLV but decided to just go all out with a bunch of different types of modules under certain DR situations. Heck I even went with RAW, MLV, Dual-ISO, HDR-Video, along with some Stills and doing so couldn't have been any easier with an ease of mind only because of this remarkable app of yours @Danne!  :D

It's quite rare to have this type of positive effect (or energy if I may say) coming directly from someone's sole app that helps with my fun day of shooting regardless of the assignments/situations/modules knowing in my head that EVERYTHING is going to be ALL RIGHT!

It definitely looks like it is going to be a nice long nap for me while the latest cr2hdr-r is rendering approximately 262.25 GB worth of Magic.  ;)

**In case you were curious, I first tried to start the app when files were on each separate Folder respectively within from each CF cards (to keep it organized and to know which card it came from) but apparently the app didn't work or won't run it -- so I then decided just to bundle all the files together from each Folders into a single Folder which seems to do the trick -- Not sure if this makes sense?

Thanks again mate and everyone else on board!