Can I Record Sound while Shooting RAW on a 7D?

Started by Kukurio, October 03, 2014, 02:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kukurio

Hi there,

I apologize if this has been covered... I Feel like it must have, but I couldn't find a thread.
I have a zoom... but I'm wondering......... Is there a way to record sound while shooting RAW on my Canon 7D?

Thank you!

Kukurio

Hmmm.. I think I saw this is a new feature.

I downloaded ML RAW module about... 8 months ago?
I guess i'll update it.

Kind of forget how to do it... want to make sure all the steps are there...
went to the sticky threads but haven't seen a step by step instruction thread yet.

Will keep looking..

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Kukurio

Ok thanks.
I think I figured that out just a bit ago...looking through the menu. Got it working.

BUT here's the thing... I'm filming a breakdancer/music video. I was shooting 2.35:1 aspect ratio at 24fps... I want to try to get 60fps this weekend... I just tried a test with the FPS option because... well, maybe my card is too slow? or also because the 7D goes 720p once I try for 60fps...

Trying to figure out a way to get this to work for me... oi.

Kukurio

was shooting 1344x572   ... just realized now after trying things out I'm able to get 1472x626 now ...continuous recording. SWEET~! seems like my camera is even better now. <3 ML NB so much.

Kukurio

Aw man... looks like I have a few things to learn.

Really not sure what the best method of getting 60fps on my 7D shooting RAW anymore...
I'm starting to pass out and gotta get up for work soon... better try tomorrow.

Canon eos m

:) Keep the sound off and anything that will burden the camera should be avoided for maximum juice.

Keep the frame size to the minimum and also try card spanning (only if the 7D has a SD +CF card slot). Even with all this I think 60fps is a stretch - 48/50fps should be better.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Canon eos m

Quote from: Kukurio on October 03, 2014, 05:24:27 AM
Really not sure what the best method of getting 60fps on my 7D shooting RAW anymore...

A detailed explanation by dmilligan, on why Magic Lantern cannot increase the FPS of cameras. 

Quote from: dmilligan on May 02, 2014, 11:57:05 PM
Your question really boils down to this:
"Why can't I capture more information, by throwing away information?"

Now from a more practical standpoint:
Compression (what you refer to as "lowering the bitrate") is a difficult, computationally intensive task (it's also impossible). It is not a magical process where you throw some data in and it comes out smaller. The only way to get enough of an effective compression ratio for the incredibly huge size of a video data stream, is to just throw away some of it. The goal here being to throw out the least important information, but we are throwing away information nonetheless. The better an algorithm is at throwing away data (i.e. the better it is at figuring out what data is unimportant), typically the more complex it is. There are very easy ways to throw away data, such as reducing the resolution and line skipping, and there are very hard ways of throwing away data such as DCT

Lets now consider (a very oversimplified) pipeline that a video stream goes through in the camera:
Sensor -> Raw Data -> Image Processing (demosaic, wb, pic style, curves, etc.) -> H.264 Encoder -> Storage

When you talk of "bitrate" you are only talking about the bitrate at the very last step of this pipeline, the bitrate out of the encoder to the storage media. There are many other steps prior to this to consider. If you want a 1080p stream out of the encoder, you also need that 1080p stream to make it's way through the rest of that pipeline (at 60fps). That's where the limitation is, in fact there are probably many, I'll just go over some of the possible ones:
1. The H.264 encoder, can't handle 1080p of video data coming into it at 60 fps (remember it has to do something very complex and computationally intensive with the data and then spit out that result very quickly)
2. The image processing electronics can't handle 1080p of raw data at 60 fps
3. The internal buses that move the raw data from the sensor to the image processors can't handle that much data (1920*1080*14bit*60fps = 1.7 Gigabits per second)
4. The sensor itself isn't fast enough to sample 1080 lines at 60 fps (it takes some finite amount of time to read out each line, and they are read one by one)

I'm not saying that all of those are true, but at least one or more of them are, and that's why 60p mode is a lower resolution. Overcoming any of these obstacles is possible, but it would require more transistors (i.e. faster, more complicated electronics), which would make the camera more expensive. So without more expensive internal electronics, the only way to get enough "compression" to be able to even get our video data to the encoder, is to "compress" the data starting at the sensor itself, and what's the only way to do that? line skipping and reducing the resolution -> basically don't read in as many pixels.