ARM Console Ubuntu 14.04 (pylab module issues)

Started by webflunkie, October 01, 2014, 04:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webflunkie

Ok, so I decided to setup a new vm and chose Ubuntu as my Linux distro. I have installed Python 2.6.6 and have it set as my main python instance. I've tried following the setup instructions in the wiki, but mostly end up having the problem that pylab isn't recognized. I have verified that I have python-matplotlib installed, but pylab still isn't recognized by python when launching the script. Any suggestions?

a1ex

It may require some older versions of certain packages. I have IPython 0.10 and SymPy 0.6.7, if that helps.

josepvm

It was impossible for me also to install ARM console on Ubuntu 14.04, due to a reported bug that makes some package incompatible with previous matplotlib, I don't remember the exact package affected by this issue. I ended using an up to date daily image of ubuntu 12.04 (Ubuntu 12.04.4, I think) and no problems with this one as a virtual machine under Virtualbox.

webflunkie

Quote from: josepvm on October 01, 2014, 12:12:02 PM
It was impossible for me also to install ARM console on Ubuntu 14.04, due to a reported bug that makes some package incompatible with previous matplotlib, I don't remember the exact package affected by this issue. I ended using an up to date daily image of ubuntu 12.04 (Ubuntu 12.04.4, I think) and no problems with this one as a virtual machine under Virtualbox.

Ahh, that makes sense, I'll give 12.04 a try. I wasn't too far in setting up the environment when I began running across those issues. Thanks!

Quote from: a1ex on October 01, 2014, 10:03:40 AM
It may require some older versions of certain packages. I have IPython 0.10 and SymPy 0.6.7, if that helps.

A1ex, thanks I had IPython 0.10 and pretty sure I had SymPy 0.6.7 based upon the instructions you gave in the Wiki. I'll try 12.04 and hopefully I'll have better luck.

josepvm

I have found now some notes I took when installing ARM console

- The issue in Ubuntu 14.04 is caused by changes in pyparsing, from 1.x to 2.x version. Some info here

- I used the most recent daily build of Xubuntu 12.04 from here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/precise/daily/current/
- Download ipython 0.10, following ARM console installation tutorial on the wiki.
- build and install ipython with:

python2 setup.py build
sudo python2 setup.py install

- Do the same with all other python components you need to manually install
- When you launch "sudo easy_install ...", as explained in the tutorial the first package gets installed, but the install of "easy_gui" fails, the file is not found in the repository. You need to find and download it manually (version 0.96) and build and install it the same way as ipython. After that, you can continue installing the other packages with "easy_install".
The last package, "sympy 0.6.7", also fails, the file is not found. Yo need also to download, build and manually install this one.

webflunkie

Quote from: josepvm on October 01, 2014, 05:33:53 PM
I have found now some notes I took when installing ARM console

Thanks for the info! I've got my new VM up and running (Ubuntu 12.04.5) with the ARM Console running against a dump from a firmware update for my 30D.