My music video shot in RAW, "San Francisco"

Started by Epicphate, September 26, 2014, 01:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epicphate

Shot a while ago with the 7D / 5D3 and raw module.
This was my first serious project jumping in with raw and I hope you enjoy the results.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Update: It looks like the video got nominated for a video of the week competition through Vimeo too. If you guys would like to help out, you can vote here

Canon eos m

Awesome buddy!
Workflow? Could you post a howto of the workflow. Would love to learn from you. Love the night scenes. So sharp and so much detail. I have a 5d3.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Epicphate

Hey Canon eos m! Thank you for the interest, hopefully this helps you out a bit.

For a windows workstation:
- Drag clips into raw2cdng, output as 16bit onto fast hdd
- Import into Resolve 11, and change clip attributes to data levels
- Resolve main settings:
   - Master Project Settings: Video monitoring to Data Levels, Conform options "assist using reel names from the: source clip file pathname"(helps with offline-online workflows),
   - Camera Raw: Switch to CinemaDNG, decode using: Project, change colourspace to "BMD Film", and turn on Highlight Recovery
- Create a new timeline, with all footage, and add a LUT to it (I used an Osiris Rec.709 one with some tweaking) / primary correction.
- Export timeline as individual clips to a format that you can easily edit with in real time and use source filename
- Open NLE of your choice (Mine's PPro), and begin/finish your edit!
- Export an xml of the finished sequence without any effects on it (you can add those in later), and import the xml back to Resolve (BE SURE to uncheck "Automatically import source clips into media pool", so that it instead links back to the original .dng's)
- Colour grading time! Fine tune your colour correction here, finding your final looks. Adding power windows, stabilization, sharpening, etc. I like to use Rec.709 LUTS on this LOG footage just because it gives me greater control over the tonal range, but that's preference. I also added Neat Video to my second last node to denoise, and Film Convert to my last node to add back some pleasing grain.
- To the Delivery page! I attached a picture of my delivery settings for simplification. You can export these at a different location than your proxies were. Render and get some water while you wait
- Back to the NLE, you can select all of your clips and make them go offline. Once offline, you can right click and relink them, but instead this time, relink them to your online clips. With your clip m

etadata and filenames being the same, this should happen without issue
- Now you can add in any effects like stabilization, text, fades, the whole 9 yards
- Export for web time! I use x264 as my preferred codec but if you can upload H.264, DNxHD, or ProRes, they all work too. I'll attach a screenshot for those settings as well

Image Links:
http://imgur.com/a/ujsDP

There you have it, apologies for the wall of text as I didn't know how much of an explanation you wanted. If anything is unclear, please do ask!

Canon eos m

Thanks will try. I am not at all familiar with Resolve. Would you know the best place to learn from. I will try and google for help if i get stuck. Let me try your workflow today and come back with how it all turned out.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Epicphate

That's okay, learning will come with time messing around with the software. I think Alexis Van Hurkman's ripple training would be of great use for learning Resolve all the way from basics to advanced stuff. I hope it all works well for you.

DeafEyeJedi

Very well said @epicphate. Baby steps are usually the best ways to learn and actually enjoy doing what you do. Good job on the video, brother!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Canon eos m

Thanks. I know what you are saying. The thing is I am confused as hell about the whole business of grading, correcting and editing. I have watched endless youtubes and bought hardbooks/ ebooks, etc. about Abode CC but seem to be losing my way a bit. Then I started riding the ML wave. This has confused me further.

Epicphate

Thanks there DeafEyeJedi! I couldn't agree more.

@Canon eos m, I totally understand where you're coming from. Correcting is the most technical/least creative of the three and is a good starting point to get into grading. You learn what colours lie in an image and reverse them to make the image seem neutral. Memorizing what a colour wheel looks like and what's on the reverse end of the colour (Like Green is the opposite of Magenta) is absolutely a must! After doing correcting after awhile, you'll most certainly learn some tricks as to what you like an image to look like and can start experimenting and grading, and know that complimentary colours can really work out in your favour to make a subject 'pop'. I can't really help with the editing/grading because they are much more subjective aspects of the process and where the creativity truly lies. For editing if you need the online/book help, Walter Murch has some good theories about what makes a good cut, and a seamless cut. As for ML, experiment, experiment and more experiment. I've spent tons of time just browsing through menus and seeing what everything does and thinking about the situation I'd use it in so that I'm more comfortable with it.

Overall, I'd say to just take things slowly. It pays to understand every step you're taking and you're not in a race to learn everything!

Canon eos m

Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

Will try and keep on course and hope to make the right cut some day.  :)

Edit: I loved this video interview of Walter Murch very much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcBpXLNmS3Q

I already love this person and I had not even heard about him before you mentioned him to me.

Canon eos m

Quote from: Epicphate on September 26, 2014, 10:16:16 PM
That's okay, learning will come with time messing around with the software. I think Alexis Van Hurkman's ripple training would be of great use for learning Resolve all the way from basics to advanced stuff. I hope it all works well for you.

Hi, I finally purchased the ripple davinci pack. Hope to learn and apply. Thanks for your help and guidance.

Epicphate

No problemo, anything to help out the fellow community member. Enjoy the ride! Feel free to let me know if you need anything else.