Is shutter count reset to 0 when shutter is replaced?

Started by p.czatrowski, September 25, 2014, 05:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p.czatrowski

Hi,
I bought Canon 5D Mark II recently, the guy that was selling it declared that the shutter count was 35000. When the camera arrived, it turned out that it has Magic Lantern already installed. I checked the shutter count in ML and it showed me over 151000.
I took the camera to the authorized Canon service center in order to have the shutter count checked by them. They gave me a document confirming that it has over 151k.
The guy claims that the shutter was replaced and the value of the shutter count shown by ML and read by the service center is saved in camera BIOS. He also claims that declared 35k is the shutter count since the replacement.

My question is: when replacing the shutter, does the shutter count is reset to 0? Or is it possible to have the shutter replaced and have the value of the shutter count from the previous one?

(PS. I'm returning the camera either way, the guy is a liar and I don't want to find out that other parts were replaced also).

Audionut

I'm not 100% sure, but it makes a whole lot of sense that it would be reset with a new mechanism. 
What's the point of an maintaining a shutter count that does not reflect the life span of the current hardware!

I would return it also.

gcrook

A few years ago i replaced mirrorbox and shutter mechanism (yes both of them were worn out badly) on my 550D at 120.000 clicks during warranty at an official canon dealership.Shutter actuations were NOT reset as i found out later.Better double-check this with canon service, maybe they actually can't reset it at all.

p.czatrowski

Thanks for the answers!
The guy at the Canon service center told me that they cannot tell if the shutter was replaced or not, because you can tell no difference if it was done good.
In his opinion if there are no documents confirming the replacement you can safely assume that it was not replaced and the shutter count is indeed at 151k.