Our short film "Peanut" Shot with 550D ML RAW

Started by robinson brothers, September 24, 2014, 06:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robinson brothers

Come and check out our short film "Peanut".  Shot on a 550D with Magic Lantern RAW.
I did this short just to try out ML RAW.  Hope you enjoy.

dpjpandone

That was awesome, great sound, great color grading, great portrayal of what it's like to be a child. I'm really impressed with what you were able to do with the limited resolution of the 550D raw, it looked fantastic. Can you tell me a little bit about your workflow?

kihlbahkt

I liked the film but have one critique about the contrast in many of the shots. I think that a proper adjustment of the tonal range and particularly the midtones might help make those scenes pop better. Tone adjustment should be one of the first steps of color correction. If using Premiere Pro you can use the Fast CC effect to make tonal tweaks. Use the "input levels" slider, in conjunction with viewing the YC waveform to push black to 0 (zero) and white to 100, then tweak midrange to taste. You can also use AE or other software to make tonal adjustments too. I think you would be well served in future projects to investigate tonal adjustments when doing color correction, particularly when working with RAW. You should be able to push it hard and still look great. I found I was distracted by the lack of contrast and wanted to see more contrast while viewing your short. Kudos to you and your team using a 550D shooting RAW for this project. Overall I give it  B+.
600D x2

robinson brothers

Thanks for the great info kihlbahkt.  Going to look in to it.  Probably use what you said for the next small project. 
And my work flow was
T2i RAW
Resolution: 1152x432
raw to cdng

Post Workflows:
Editing - Adobe Premiere CC
VFX - Adobe After Effect CC, Adobe Photoshop CC, Mocha Pro and Cinema 4D
Color Grading - Adobe SpeedGrade CC
Sound Design - Adobe Audition CC
Music - Cubase

Output from Premiere blown up to 1920x800.

dpjpandone

Definitely good advice to understand tonal range adjustments, but my opinion is that this particular peice was well served by the low contrast vintage look. I wouldn't change a thing, this is more of an art peice, not a rap video or commercial....

robinson brothers

Nice to see another view.  Thank you!  Helps me out.

88oak88

liked, simple but shows a short message and real. do not judge the reality of the equipment, and its worth the idea.
ML provides a lot of flexibility and makes up for in this very factor. great job

translated from Portuguese

robinson brothers

QuickHitRecord

Really nice work. I recognized Baltimore right away!
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

robinson brothers

kihlbahkt

I watched it again, after accepting the grade as it is so as not to distract me. It is a great example of visual storytelling. There is no dialogue really so we have to interpret context from our own experiences along with the music which always felt right for the visuals and helps bring the viewer into this girls world. The animation was unexpected but helped me again with context of the inner workings of this little girl while she deals the world around her. I see the animated bits as a clever and cute device for the viewer to readily feel empathy for her situation. Great Job Robinson Brothers.
If you would not mind, I have a couple of questions.
Could you discuss the motivation to use the animation and how you felt it impacted the short?
Could you discuss the development of the final music and anything interesting or troublesome when making the decisions about the music?

Thanks very much for sharing.

600D x2

robinson brothers

Could you discuss the motivation to use the animation and how you felt it impacted the short?
The animated cartoons is really her imagination and her innocents.   We hope that it will show how parents can either help a child imagination or
destroy it.  In this cast, destroy it and her innocents.

Could you discuss the development of the final music and anything interesting or troublesome when making the decisions about the music?
What I was trying to say with the music is this:
Adults with emotion problems or a child that have to grow up fast would sound like bland and unemotional.  The beginning and end theme.
A child that's carefree and imaginative would sound like a circus full of fun and a upbeat waltz. The middle theme.

Never really had any troubles making the song because it was in my head when we were filming it.  I couldn't wait to get it out my system.
Music is always one of my favorite part to do in the film-making process.

kihlbahkt

600D x2

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

robinson brothers