Shooting RAW with Dual Iso, forgot to turn on HDR

Started by Yoshi, September 20, 2014, 02:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshi

Hi there,

Just started using ML today on my 5Diii and shot some raw footage with the dual iso (100/1600) toggled on. What i realised i had forgotten to do was to turn on HDR video and was wondering whether this means the dual iso didnt happen at all. I'm currently away from my pc and am unable to verify whether the footage is ok or not and was wondering what the worst case scenario is of shooting with dual iso without HDR video.

Audionut

Quote from: Yoshi on September 20, 2014, 02:44:35 PM
and was wondering what the worst case scenario is of shooting with dual iso without HDR video.

The camera could break, and you get to keep both pieces.
Best case scenario is that you run the dual ISO footage through cr2hdr and receive HDR footage.

I prefer to think positive.  :)

senzazn12

Do we need to turn HDR on? Isn't that only if you wanted to record dual-iso h.264?

Markus

Now I'am also confused. Isn't HDR  mode for alternating frames with different iso and dual iso alternating iso for every  other pixel line? Are you saying HDR and dual iso should be activated at the same time when shooting dual iso?

Markus

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Markus on September 22, 2014, 03:21:28 PM
To anyone who can clarify I guess?

HDR, Dual ISO, and RAW video are all completely different things.

Raw video is to capture a sequence of "low res" raw images, nothing to do with mov or h264.

Dual ISO is to do every 3rd and 4th row of raw sensor data at an alternate iso, it can be switched on for raw video (or raw images) only, using it in h264 (or jpeg for that matter) just makes interlaced looking footage, because the camera just creates the image from the new dual iso raw sensor data which it doesn't know how to interpret for dual iso purposes.

HDR in the video menu is to alternate every 2nd frame to a different iso, this can be used for either raw video or h264 video, it should be used at a high frame rate either 50fps or 60fps, each 2 frames are then combined in post to make footage at half the frame rate so 25fps and 30fps in a similar fashion as to how one would do HDR photos using multiple exposures.

There's absolutely no point in turning them both on for raw video, and either don't need to be on for the other to work. In addition if you think about it, switching each row of pixel sensors to different iso values as well as every 1/50th of a second flicking the whole sensor to a different iso value can't be healthy, that's like 100000 iso changes a second.

Markus

That's  exactly my understanding of it so why the talk of having them turned on at the same time in this thread?  :o. Thought for a sec that I might have missed something  ;)

walter_schulz

Thread starter wrote "Just started using ML today", senzazn12 chimed in and he/she is not that experienced, too. And it's quite common for humans to mix things up they are learning until they are going to use and understand them. And even more experienced users may come up with nonsense like "In addition if you think about it, switching each row of pixel sensors to different iso values as well as every 1/50th of a second flicking the whole sensor to a different iso value can't be healthy". Probably having mechanical switches in mind and not amplifiers and A/D converters.

No offense!

senzazn12

Quote from: walter_schulz on September 23, 2014, 06:49:26 AM
Thread starter wrote "Just started using ML today", senzazn12 chimed in and he/she is not that experienced, too. And it's quite common for humans to mix things up they are learning until they are going to use and understand them. And even more experienced users may come up with nonsense like "In addition if you think about it, switching each row of pixel sensors to different iso values as well as every 1/50th of a second flicking the whole sensor to a different iso value can't be healthy". Probably having mechanical switches in mind and not amplifiers and A/D converters.

No offense!

No offense taken. :-) Thanks for clearing things up Walter.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: senzazn12 on September 23, 2014, 08:48:45 AM
No offense taken. :-) Thanks for clearing things up Walter.

I think the non offence was intended towards me :P

And even more experienced users may come up with nonsense like "In addition if you think about it, switching each row of pixel sensors to different iso values as well as every 1/50th of a second flicking the whole sensor to a different iso value can't be healthy". Probably having mechanical switches in mind and not amplifiers and A/D converters.

No offense!

None taken though. However!
Both Dual ISO and HDR have always come with the warning of frying your sensor.

Thread starter wrote "Just started using ML today", senzazn12 chimed in and he/she is not that experienced, too. And it's quite common for humans to mix things up they are learning until they are going to use and understand them.

I don't think my explanation was in any way derogatory to new users, if anything the very opposite (detailed and informative).

But something that really needs to be pointed out, ever since RAW video has come along, I think about every new user has tried turning on the HDR video function thinking that it is RAW video and/or needs to be switched on for RAW video (as I have spoken to many of them). Maybe HDR video should be renamed to avoid confusion, as it actually doesn't record in HDR, maybe something like "Bracketing Video" is a more appropriate name.