CF card not readable after error with 5d3 ML (Professional Shoot) URGENT

Started by visualstarmedia, September 19, 2014, 07:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualstarmedia

Hi Everyone,

After having magic lantern for 6 months and having shot quite a while with it, i grew comfortable enough to use one of my higher paid professional gigs. Well with my luck the camera reset itself in the middle of a shot and apparently corrupted the CF card which held 40% of the shoot thus far, 4 hours into production. The card was not able to be read after that in camera, nor were we able to get any computer on set nor any in our editing studio to read the card. I get an error that says "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" and i have three options; " initialize", "ignore", "reject". no matter which i choose the card wouldn't even show up as mounted. Due to the time restricted, limited access we had on location, we had to finish shooting as scheduled. It is of extreme urgency that I would be able to recover these files. Any and all assistance will much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

SteveScout

Shot half of a feature in ML raw, and this only happened to ONE single card, fortunately only with test footage. It was a Komputerbay 64GB card, they sent me a small program that checks the card and returns an error code. The result was "card fried, throw it away", there was no chance to get it back and no one knows what happened. If this is a professional shoot it´ll be definitely worth contacting a professional data rescue facility, because the costs will be small compared to reshooting something .. but CF cards are not as reliable as SSDs or HDDs, so the chance of a completely damaged one is unfortunately pretty high if all reads and programs deny acessing the card.  What brand was it?

Stedda

5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

lintoni

What brand was the CF card? Do a search with your preferred search engine for "corrupted "brand" CF card", you may find that the manufacturer has a utility program that *may* help.

Edit
Check this thread over at Canon Rumors
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20705.0

SteveScout

Well .. technically we can´t say or prove that the use of ML fried the card. But when it happened to me early this summer I thought "well, I´m using DSLRs since the first 5D II came out and such a thing never happened to me, but NOW that I shoot ML raw the card gets more than a hickup" - this either was ML OR (and that´s more likely) it´s just the weak card I used, we know that Komputerbay CF cards are not the most reliable ones out there .. but very affordable.

visualstarmedia

Quote from: Stedda on September 19, 2014, 01:45:39 PM
What does the card failure have to do with Magic Lantern?

I was shooting ML Raw and the camera shut down in the middle of recording. After turning it back on the card was corrupted. I did a test shoot to try to recreate the scenario. It happened again, it must be the build that i have but it keeps frying my cards. It only happens when shooting Raw.

Quote from: Stedda on September 19, 2014, 01:45:39 PM
What does the card failure have to do with Magic Lantern?

Its a Lexar 64gb 1000x.
Quote from: visualstarmedia on September 19, 2014, 07:24:18 AM
Hi Everyone,

Quote from: SteveScout on September 19, 2014, 11:42:05 AM
Shot half of a feature in ML raw, and this only happened to ONE single card, fortunately only with test footage. It was a Komputerbay 64GB card, they sent me a small program that checks the card and returns an error code. The result was "card fried, throw it away", there was no chance to get it back and no one knows what happened. If this is a professional shoot it´ll be definitely worth contacting a professional data rescue facility, because the costs will be small compared to reshooting something .. but CF cards are not as reliable as SSDs or HDDs, so the chance of a completely damaged one is unfortunately pretty high if all reads and programs deny acessing the card.  What brand was it?

Wow, well thats good that it was only a test shoot. I had this happen to me again with a test shoot. Fortunately i learned my lesson and had a ninja blade recording the uncompressed HDMI feed as back up. Not as good as ML Raw but definitely better than loosing it all.