Proress Davinci Resolve Windows???

Started by redaber, September 14, 2014, 08:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redaber

Hello everyone,

i have been trying to figure this one out for a while now, and it now comes down to the last few steps of post production and i want to bassicly render my RAW footage from davinci resolve into prores files on a windows machine, is this possible because i have been trying to figure this one out for weeks now.

P.S person that will fix my problem will be donated 10 dollars via paypal :)
P.S i know DNxHD is a option but i heard proress (12 bit vs 10 bit dnxhd) i waayy better when it comes down to colors

Thanks alot

reddeercity

Not possible on windows , Unless you can "call up FFmeg" to export thought to 10bit prores.
A comparable Codec on Windows is Blackmagic RGB 10bit far better then DNxHD or export a 16bit Tiff image sequence
and use FFmeg to transcode to ProRes 10bit 4444 . Only Mac can write 12 & 16 bit ProRes files .
Or  export XML from Resolve and render on a Mac and or "PC-Hackintoss" with Intel Cpu & Chip Set.
My Toshiba i7 2.4 Ghz P850 Laptop is setup with dual SSD's one Windows 7 Pro & the other OS X Mavericks 10.9.3.
I use tonymacx86 MultiBeast-Mavericks 6.4.2  USB Bootloader to boot in to Windows 7 as I has Mac OSX as the default
1st OS, Work very Well . Check out  http://www.tonymacx86.com/home.php , For more information.
I have 2 Hackintoss's I built plus 2 Real MacPro's but there are Older and are slower then my i7 Laptop Hackintoss.

redaber

Thank you very much,

right now i have this setup for my PC

- i7 2600k Overclocked to 4.8 Ghz (stable)
- Asus P8Z68 motherboard
- Radeon HD 6950
- 32GB RAM

i will see if i can get an extra SSD so i can dual boot this thing. For some reason DNxHD makes my footage a little bit more brighter and seemed to give it a green tint as well, also its not very HQ.
P.S my footage will be uploaded to vimeo+ account so i dont know how important image quality actually needs to be to be noticeable.

reddeercity

It should no problem , to get the Gen 2 i7 to run Mac.
Just read and follow the post there and you will have no problem.
My desktop Hackintoss is a Gen 3 i7 3770K over clocked to 4.7 Ghz
Corsair H60 Cpu water cooler , Gigabyte mother board - Z77X-UD5H
On Board Video Intel HD4000  & Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
HyperX 4GB  DDR3 1600 - 16 GB (but 32 would be better)
All the parts I used are or where recommended from tonymacx86 site.
I also run a AJA capture card "Lhi" plus an Atto R380 Raid card to a 6TB raid5 box on Mac OSX.
Runs All Apple & Adobe with Cuda and or open CL, no problem and of course Blackmagic software etc..... .

redaber

Would image quality degrade (too much) if i would convert 16 bit tiffs to prores?

reddeercity

QuoteWould image quality degrade (too much) if i would convert 16 bit tiffs to prores?

It all depends on the which type , if it a 10bit ProRes there well be some lost (16bit-->10bit) like  422 (LT or HQ)
Will it be noticeable ? Maybe, more then likely you will see it in the hi-lights & or in the shadows
FFmeg Prores 4444 on Windows is 10bit but still better then 10bit 422 HQ
The Apple ProRes 4444 12bit is very good and you be hard press to see the difference ,
but  you are limited to Rec709 (HD Color Space 16-235) where the  Cdng's/Tiff's would be linear (0-255) @ 16bit

If you want the least  compressed intermediate video codec that is visual a direct copy of Raw/Tiff
Then there is only One,  Apple ProRes 4444 XQ 16bit linear (0-255).
From Apple Support  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5151

QuoteApple ProRes 4444 XQ - The highest-quality version of Apple ProRes for 4:4:4:4 image sources (including alpha channels). This format has a very high data rate to preserve the detail in high-dynamic-range imagery generated by today's highest-quality digital image sensors. Apple ProRes 4444 XQ preserves dynamic ranges several times greater than the dynamic range of Rec. 709 imagery. This holds true even against the rigors of extreme visual effects processing in which tone-scale blacks or highlights are stretched significantly. Like standard Apple ProRes 4444, this codec supports up to 12 bits per image channel and up to 16 bits for the alpha channel.
ProRes 4444 XQ is supported on OS X Mountain Lion v10.8 or later.

This the Only Codec I use , I can not tell the difference  between that and16 bit Cdng's. I'm working on a Green Screen Music Video with that Codec.
If I can't use ProRes 4444 XQ I will use ProRes 4444 .

Hope that helps

redaber

Thanks for helping me so much man,

I am only using it for Vimeo really ( vimeo + account ) but i hate having gamma shifts,color shifts so i am going to try converting them and see how i like it and it is also going to be my last project that i am going to be rendering on windows, i will buy a second ssd and do the rendering on mac and editing on windows i guess.

thanks alot man

redaber

Oh i think i kind of figured it out, Export 10bit DPX ( which is losless ) encode those DPX files into ProRes HQ 422 files?  encode with a prores tool for windows:)

dyfid

Quote from: redaber on September 14, 2014, 11:43:09 PM
For some reason DNxHD makes my footage a little bit more brighter and seemed to give it a green tint as well, also its not very HQ.

But that's nothing to do with DNxHD and everything to do with the media player you're using and how you're encoding the DNxHD, where do you see green tint and brighter output? Which apps? DNxHD is perfectly good intermediate at high bitrates.

Quote from: reddeercity on September 16, 2014, 05:48:22 AM
The Apple ProRes 4444 12bit is very good and you be hard press to see the difference ,
but  you are limited to Rec709 (HD Color Space 16-235) where the  Cdng's/Tiff's would be linear (0-255) @ 16bit

That's confusing and makes no sense, 12bit Rec709 with levels range 16-235. :) , I know what you mean, limited range but Rec709 is not rgb and it's limited levels range correlates to 0 - 255 rgb, so they are the same.

QuoteThen there is only One,  Apple ProRes 4444 XQ 16bit linear (0-255).

I'm lost I can't find any reference to linear in the link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5151 where are you getting that from?

reddeercity

Markus

I've also been trying to solve this workflow issue. Found this codec pack http://www.miraizon.com/products/codecsoverview.html
It makes prores encoding possible on windows but resolve filters acessible codecs so I've had to export full range dnxhd and then convert those in Adobe media encoder to prores.

Markus

About possible gray values with different bit depths:

1 bit (2^1) = 2 tones
2 bits (2^2) = 4 tones
3 bits (2^3) = 8 tones
4 bits (2^4) = 16 tones
8 bits (2^8) = 256 tones
10 bits (2^10) = 1024 tones
12 bits (2^12) = 4096 tones
14 bits (2^14) = 16,384 tones
16 bits (2^16) = 65,536 tones
24 bits (2^24) = 16.7 million tones