Audio failed to stop, state 4

Started by coryaycock, September 10, 2014, 06:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coryaycock

Hi,

I'm shooting RAW video (not MLV) on the 7D and it says "Audio failed to stop, state 4" everytime after I shoot a clip.  I also notice that there is no .WAV file.  I have all of the modules enabled.  The levels show activity when recording.  I tried to search the above message, but didn't find any answers.  Perhaps it's something simple I'm not doing.

Thanks in advance.

Walter Schulz

First: Which version are you using?
Second: RAW video doesn't support sound. If you want to record sound you have to use an external recorder or MLV format.

Delete AUTOEXEC.BIN and ML directory from card, extract your build files and copy them to card's root. Retest and post results.

coryaycock

I'm using Nightly.

Ok, I've set it to MLV format now.

I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but I don't care at this point....
When you say "extract the files" after deleting, what do you mean by that?

Also, in order to get the MLV files ready for Lightroom and FCPX (this is what I'm using) do I have to use something different than RAW Magic or raw2dng? 

I just want to get it to where I can shoot with sound and be able to process.  Thanks for your help.

coryaycock

Ok, I learned RAW Magic does convert MLV as well.  I have RAW Magic Lite, so from what I read so far, I need to buy RAW Magic.

I mainly do not understand "Delete AUTOEXEC.BIN and ML directory from card, extract your build files and copy them to card's root." 
I deleted the AUTOEXEC.BIN and ML directory, so do you mean I should add the build files again to my card ?  Please Explain. 

Any help would be appreciated...

I'm also getting vertical banding (atleast when shooting in RAW), but I figured I would tackle sound first. 

Thanks!

reddeercity

Delete the old "AUTOEXEC.BIN" and replace it with the New "AUTOEXEC.BIN" from the Nightly Build you downloaded.
On the Root of the CF Card and also replace the file directory Called "ML" from the same downloaded Nightly build.
and in the "MODULES Sub folder" choose the modules you want to use.
You need 4 modules to record raw mlv with audio  (xxx_xxx.SYS, FILE_MAN.MO, MLV_REC.MO, MLV_SND.MO)

dmilligan

Quote from: coryaycock on September 12, 2014, 06:06:23 AM
Ok, I learned RAW Magic does convert MLV as well.  I have RAW Magic Lite, so from what I read so far, I need to buy RAW Magic.
No, there are plenty of other MLV converters for Mac on this forum that are free. Do some reading before you waste $30.

MlRawViewer 1.2.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)
MLVFS - a FUSE based, "on the fly" MLV to CDNG converter
mlv_dump

coryaycock

Ok, thank you for helping...I appreciate it!

coryaycock

reddeercity,  I have 3 out of the 4 modules you listed for Nightly.

coryaycock

I am sorry to be asking so many questions, but I cannot find clear answers. 

Shooting with Canon 7D, Nightly Build, ML RAW Viewer, Lightroom 5, FCPX.

I successfully converted the MLV files with sound, but now am having some issues in FCPX with the image sequence playing 24fps, as well as vertical banding.  For the image sequence, I changed the Still Images to play 1 per second in preferences (as told) and also Selected all>Changed Duration>1, ENTER (as explained) but am still getting results that are not 24fps.

As for the banding, I took care of the normal vertical lines explained by others by pumping Noise Reduction all the way up in Lightroom, but there is still one line that almost looks like a mirror reflecting....it's weird.

I will buy whatever I need to buy to fix these issues.  The past month has been very difficult.  Will the Anti-Aliasing mirror for 7d take care of issues?  Is there a DeNoiser I can buy to get clear video?  Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

dmilligan

I strongly recommend NOT using ACR (i.e. Lightroom) for video. It was not intended for this purpose, it's slow, and you'll get all kinds of flicker. There are much better tools, even free ones (Resolve), that are made for this. You can also use MLRawViewer to export directly to a video format (like ProRes) to avoid image sequence import issues you might be having.

If you're video is too noisy, then the first step is to make sure you are exposing correctly (ETTR).

coryaycock

Thanks dmilligan!  I have Resolve so I'll give it a try...and so happy with my stills in LR!

reddeercity

What are you talking about ?
QuoteI strongly recommend NOT using ACR (i.e. Lightroom) for video
That not right !  there is nothing wrong with ACR, The easiest workflow is MLV/RAW -->DNG's/CDNG's--> import A.E. with ACR
-->set project to 32bit float--> do basic adjustments, high light recovery etc... export as a ProRes 4444 or ProRes4444XQ.
As I use ML raw for paid work all the time and there is nothing better for raw adjustment, nothing can touch it .

There is so many ways to process & edit ML raw that if you limited your self to One program you'll miss out .

QuoteAlso, in order to get the MLV files ready for Lightroom and FCPX (this is what I'm using) do I have to use something different than RAW Magic or raw2dng?
Being most of my work is run & gun (public event, news story etc..) and I need a quick turn around .
I use a Apple/Adobe workflow, as you know there is a few different raw-dng/cdng convertors,
For the Mac there is only RawMagic to convent to Cdng's (which I have and use from time to time)
or  MlRawViewer 1.2.3 to dng & or prores .mov .
But I prefer to go cross platform to PC Windows ,I use my laptop to extract the MLV+Audio to Cdngs
with raw2Cdng v1.4.9 @ 16bit. From there I have two different way to process the Cdng.
If I need a .mov file asap I import in to A.E. with ACR adjust, export to ProRes 4444 XQ 16bit linear .
then import to FCPX etc.... .
Or import the Cdng's as a Key word Collection in FCPX make a compound clip and edit & grade Cdngs native
My last documentary was done in that fashion also graded in FCPX 10.1.3.
If you have Apple Motion or Compressor you can import the Cdng's image sequence and export as ProRes .mov file.
If you what you use Lightroom+ACR export your ML Raw DNG's/Cdng's to 16bit Tiff's .

dmilligan

Quote from: reddeercity on September 14, 2014, 12:15:44 AM
What are you talking about ? That not right !
Yes it is.

ACR is:
- very slow (it's CPU based and in AE I only get around 1-2 fps; I get realtime playback in Premiere, SpeedGrade, Resolve and MLRawViewer)
- not meant for video, it's designed for stills, even Adobe admits that ACR is not really meant for video
- causes flickering (it uses "image adaptive" processing that causes flicker, since each frame can be slightly different, it processed slightly differently, this is true even if you use process 2010)

Quotethere is nothing better for raw adjustment, nothing can touch it
For stills yes, that is true. I agree that for stills ACR is second to none. For video, however, the performance hit you take and the flickering mentioned previously make it not worth it. I love LR and use it for all my photography, but I would never use it for video.

QuoteThe easiest workflow is MLV/RAW -->DNG's/CDNG's--> import A.E. with ACR
-->set project to 32bit float--> do basic adjustments, high light recovery etc... export as a ProRes 4444 or ProRes4444XQ
And how long does that take? My workflow using MLVFS I get real-time playback in Premiere CC instantly. I have MLVFS pointing to my SD card, I drag the corresponding clip that shows up automatically in the mount folder to the timeline in Premiere and play it back instantly, in real-time. If I need to do color correction/grading I can direct link to SpeedGrade and I have color tools and instruments that are way more appropriate for video than ACR's.

Did I mention playback is realtime? This workflow means you can edit before doing any type of rendering, and simply render out when you're completely done. Show me an easier/faster workflow using ACR.

Some other advantages:
- no need to convert to DNG first (MLVFS provides converted CDNGs on the fly)
- no need to keep converted DNGs (just keep original MLVs)
- no need for intermediates/proxies

reddeercity

The workflow in question is Apple FCPX not Adobe Premiere Pro , so your workflow will not work there.( but i like the idea )
I know this will start a disagreement, but We Capture Photo image not video Frames and as such
they need to to treated as photo until you and Constrain the image to Legal Video Color space .
So in that cast ACR is the right tool for the right job. and thats what i do.
You also mention "Flicking" with ACR and i have never seen that problem in my work and i have been use this workflow
for about a year. (All my Project since Feb. have been MLV/Raw)
I have i dedicated MacPro for A.E. to made Video files , and as i don't keep the original MLV Raw files the ProRes 4444 XQ 16bit  linear
are my archive files(Smaller then the Original & can be read by Any App) so realtime playback is not a concern . Just to make file its it.

coryaycock

I don't understand a lot of what you guys are talking about (until I do some reading) but I know when I take the images into LR and then into FCPX I cannot get the image sequence to work at 24 fps and the image is not suitable even after pumping the Noise Reduction all the way up to 100...BUT I have been using JPG's and now know I should probably use TIFFs, which might take care of the problem.  Also, I will try exporting directly to ProRes from ML Raw Finder as mentioned (haven't had time yet). 

Thanks!

Frank7D

As far as the flickering in ACR, it mostly seems to happen when you use the fill/recovery sliders, as described here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5710.100
I now leave those at 0 and I haven't noticed any flickering since I started doing so.

coryaycock

Frank7D

Personally, I am using ACR for:
1. exposure (~= ISO gain)
2. color temp
3. noise reduction
4. sharpening
5. chromatic aberration correction

If I don't get the dynamic range or tone curve I want after the above, then curves in After Effects.

coryaycock

While I'm here, I'd like to get an opinion on something I tried tonight... 

I simply exported a ProRes .mov file from MLRAWViewer (after doing a little correction), took it into FCPX, and then applied FilmConvert (added coloring, exposure, grain, etc). 
I didn't have any banding or flickering and the image looks pretty good...but this is just one test.  I liked this because it was so simple (will try some more tests tomorrow), but based on your experience and knowledge, do you think the image vastly improves by using something like LR or Resolve with TIFFs compared to doing what I described?

Thanks again....This thread has saved me much time.

coryaycock

Beginners: 
Been using Lightroom with pretty good results (easier for me than Resolve) and exporting as TIFF's to FCPX....

and if anyone is interested, I found this thread helpful if wanting to use FilmConvert.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6771.0