Mysterious MLV file breakups and dropped frames?

Started by dearthman, September 04, 2014, 05:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dearthman

[EDIT]

I found the thread I was looking for on this I think, must be external monitor related? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12425.0;all

I guess my question still remains about the multiple numbered .MLV files though, don't see anything about others having that happen, but I suppose it's irrelevant versus the actual issue of dropped frames.

[/EDIT]

Hi guys, I just completed my first shoot using Magic Lantern on my 5D3. 98% of the stuff came out fantastic, but have a weird problem with a few files. Luckily I was also recording to an Atomos at the same time!

All my cards are formatted exFAT with ML to record >4GB files (no file spanning), yet some of my MLV files still came out of my card with .M00 to .M08 files even though the MLV will be >4GB like it should, while the the numbered ones are always only 52 bytes. Additionally most of these spanned shots seem to give MlRawViewer trouble indexing and have missing frames.

So, what's going on? Is this something I'm doing wrong? Because the times I've messed with pushing the cards by trying high frame rates, ML will just stop recording. So I'm not sure why it's not doing the same with these takes. And I have more than a few 20GB plus shots recorded that are perfect so it seems like this wouldn't be a performance problem, in fact one of the shots this happened to is only 300mb.

Anyway I apologize if this is already addressed elsewhere, I looked as best I could before posting! If so just let me know.

Thanks for any help.

Frank7D

Did you fill the card up, i.e. recording stopped in the middle of a take because you ran out of room?

dearthman

Hey Frank, now that I realize that this can occur with a full card it may be the case for some of them, but I don't think all. Thanks dmilligan! That seems to be the culprit. I worry if the garbage files come from just running out of card, that maybe I have dropped frames in more shots than just the ones with extra files? I'll have to go through all my footage now. Is ML supposed to work that way in that it drops frames without stopping? Or should it be stopping every time there's a dropped frame? I guess that's my question now.

dmilligan

There's a setting in the raw video menu, you can either continue if frames are skipped or stop as soon as one is skipped.

Frank7D

Also, I have noticed that when I run out of space on a card, my last shot usually has some dropped frames, so that might be the reason for yours.