ETTR Highlights clipping, magenta halo, very strange artifacts in jpeg export

Started by asbissonnette, September 03, 2014, 10:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asbissonnette

Hey everyone. I am usually pretty good about figuring out problems and reading the boards (why my account doesn't show much activity). But I am stumped on this one.

I shot a timelapse looking into the sun with Auto ETTR enabled. Unfortunately, this was shot back on 6/25/14 and I do not remember exactly which build I was using at the time nor the exact ETTR settings - probably close to default, if not default. And my guess would be the most current build at the time is what I was using.

Anyways, I'm not sure if this is a Magic Lantern issue or not. I've never experienced it before ML or no ML, and haven't seen anyone on the boards experience it either. So I shot into the sun. Using ACR to process a first pass (will probably use Resolve for the online edit later on). The image looks good with default settings. However when I try to bring the highlights down I get a pretty drastic magenta halo around the sun.

Is this due to only one of the color channels clipping (probably the green channel)? If it's not just a matter of clipping, what could be causing it? And is there any way to easily fix this without using qualifiers and windows in Resolve?

Finally, the biggest, weirdest problem when the image opens up in Photoshop or is exported to tiff/jpeg the file shows these really weird swirly artifacts over the entire image, almost looks like a thumb print over the image. What could this possibly be?

Here is a link to the raw image:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nlnu89x8qv907e/_A0A2345.CR2?dl=0

And I have attached one of the jpeg exports that shows all the symptoms described above. Any help is much appreciated.
Link: http://tinypic.com/r/a5gwsm/8

redaber

i had the exact same effect 3 days ago when i took a picture, i actually pissed in my pants and i thought i had fried my sensor or something :O, took the battery out, took lens off and on and it never happend since than.

kichetof

dmilligan

That effect is actually moire caused by the unprocessed dual ISO. Interestingly the "swirly" pattern you see is not actually there, it's a bit of an optical illusion from the simple fact that there is a very fine pattern of lines superimposed over your image (that is the dual ISO interlacing lines). Read the linked wiki article for more info.