Shortcut key is toggled off when pressing shutter button halfway

Started by frankfenghua, July 11, 2012, 05:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankfenghua

Hi.
I'm not sure if i use this feature correctly.

when i enable shortcut key( only for ISO and K value, and I use manual focus, and disable follows focus ) on my T3i,  I can change the ISO and K value without any problem, but once i press the shutter button half way, the shortcut key is toggled off( because you won't see  +/- ISO  and +/- K on the screen), you have to press Disp button on T3i to bring it back.

my question are :
1) Is this suppose to act like this ?
2) is there way to keep the shortcut key on screen even i press the shutter button halfway? because during the
     video recording, sometime i press the shutter button to see my exposure meter , but i forget to press Disp
    button to bring shortcut key back to screen , and if I try to change ISO by pressing  Arrow button , it will
    move the frame box , I have to press Disp button then Arrow button to change the ISO.
    It's OK for me, because you can use one hand to press Disp Button the Arrow Key on T3i, but on 5DII the
    toggle button is Picture Style button, so I have to use my left hand to toggle it. it's not so convenient

I'm using magiclantern-2011Dec22.550D.60D.600D.50D.500D on Canon T3i 1.0.1 firmware

it's same behavior when using Magic Lantern for 5D Mark II 2.3 RC1 on 5D2

a1ex

1. Yes, it's some sort of a shortcut menu (all Canon dialogs close on half-shutter afaik).
2. You should never rely on Canon metering, you have histograms, waveform and so on.

frankfenghua

Thanks Alex for the quick reply.

So i guess i have to get used to this canon default behavior.

About the toggle button on 5DII , (Picture style button), because it's on the left side
of camera body, so you have to use left hand to toggle it while your right hand is
holding the camera.

1) Is there a reason for this ? I mean I thought you professional guys like to use one hand to access all major
buttons.  Sure I can press ISO button on top of camera body then use wheel to change the value by one hand
but i need to press ISO button first to popup canon's ISO setting menu.

2) Is this possible to Re Map the toggle button to "led light button" (on top of 5DII body, most right )?

thanks.

ML is a great tool. I'm telling every one of my friend about this great product !

a1ex

The picture style is one of the few buttons that can be intercepted easily and doesn't do important things. The LED light button can't be seen from main CPU.

frankfenghua

Thanks for the explanation!
Good  to know these tech stuff.