[experiment] [5D3, others?] massive mlv_play speedup

Started by g3gg0, September 01, 2014, 02:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Quote from: 1% on September 21, 2014, 07:53:14 PM
What else can it do?

I hope for raw addition (FA_SubtractTestImage, EekoAddRaw), and I bet a lot of people hope for 12-bit.

mk11174

On 700D
1280x720@24fps color all
266 frames with = 34sec
266 frames without = 54sec
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

1%

I guess next thing to try is to feed it hard coded YUV422_LV_BUFFER_DISPLAY_ADDR and see if does the preview.

Nope, no method lets it work in real time :(

Best I get is a single frozen frame. At least on 6D. I can try on 7D too but I suspect results will be the same.

N/A

Quote from: 1% on September 21, 2014, 07:53:14 PM
7D module loaded, 5x ok, 10x ok, recording ok. Playback a bit faster.
So there's potential, cool.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

nikfreak

Quote from: a1ex on September 21, 2014, 09:18:19 PM
I hope for raw addition (FA_SubtractTestImage, EekoAddRaw), and I bet a lot of people hope for 12-bit.

Sounds like you are doing some experiments  :P 12-bit raw would be so awesome.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

1%

Looks like its relatively easy to do in camera dark frame subtraction... at least on silent pics.

FA_SubtractTestImage pSrc=%#lx, pDark=%#lx, pDest=%#lx",0

Doubt it for mlv/raw, esp since the live preview doesn't want to work with Furikake.

Remove hot pixels with the defect correction engine?

FA_DefectsTestImage pSrc=%#lx, pDest=%#lx",0

wonder how fast this one is.

a1ex

Right, but I'm interested in adding (and averaging) two or more pictures.

1%

FA_DefectsMergeTestImage  but no info on parameters or debug message.

nikfreak

could this be useful for dualiso preview / processing ?  8)
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

1%

We already had the preview but parts of them would get burnt into the cr2.

Audionut

kyrobb

Wow. More fantastic news! You guys are incredible!

Kharak

raw_twk is awesome! Such a great enhancement on the play side.

But it is very unstable! In the beginning when I tested it, I wrote that I didn't have problems with going in to crop mode while raw_twk was activated, but now it just seems more and more random on how it works.

In the beginning when I tested this. It was only when ML grayscale was ON together with raw_twk and I go in to 5x mode that I would get black and white stripes all over the screen.

But now it seems going in to 5x with canon preview does so too at random times.. And seems if I press zoom in too quickly so that the overlay is not properly loaded, it will crash the camera and I need to do battery pull.

Also MLV play is not working too well. Sometimes it starts playing but the screen is black and I have to restart the camera and then it plays the file normally.  And same with clicking too quickly, like entering play mode and exiting immediately will crash the camera and I need to do battery pull.

Raw twk has such a good performance that it's hard for me not having it activated, even though it makes the camera crash now and then.

Hope you make a more stable release of this G3ggo!

Sep 1st. Nightly.

once you go raw you never go back

1%

It doesn't play nice with live view on digic V. Digic IV was better. I don't think its the module, just the canon engine if its used for defect correction, probably why it didn't work for live preview.

ChadMuffin

Was a noticeable speed difference for me. Great work! I can also report the black and white lines when trying to use crop mode. Also, if I am in photo mode with Live View off on my 5D3 and try to play a MLV video, it is just a black screen with all of the on screen displays working just as if it was playing but there is no picture.

g3gg0

yeah thanks for the feedback.
maybe some day we know how to program all the different hardware modules to get realtime playback ;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Kharak

Anything new here?

This module is really awesome, just a bit unstable! But I find myself having a hard time not using it, even though it can cause crashes now and then.
once you go raw you never go back

DeafEyeJedi

Just tried the Module under 1.2.3 on 5D3 -- apparently it only works on 1.1.3 since it says 'Module ini't failed'...

am I right about downgrading back to 1.1.3 for this particular module?

Thanks!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

g3gg0

revival of this mlv_play speedup module

thanks to Greg's clean code of what DARK is doing, i implemented the 14->16 conversion directly into raw_twk.
this results in a much cleaner, non-firmware dependent code and might be more portable.

i am just using DARK in passthru mode, not subtracting anything. no need for this :)

works fine on 5D3.113, may work on others, but test on your own risk!
please report in if it works for you

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

Danne

I,d like to try this on a 550D and 7D but I get linking error
tcc: error: undefined symbol 'engio_write'
[E] failed to link to modules.

Will try it out on a 5D mark III when I get my hands on one soon.

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

g3gg0

a1ex

ilia3101

I can confirm it works on the 5D mark II using raw-bit-depth branch. Black and white playback is not too far from realtime, and colour is much faster too, but both have split jello image thingy going on. Really good improvement!

Danne