Canon 550D / T2i

Started by ItsMeLenny, August 27, 2014, 10:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyrobb

CBR 1.0X will still have a varying bitrate, depending on detail and noise. It just won't vary as much as a higher setting.

oldbeer

Hi,
I installed latest Oct FW for 550D
But cannot find RAW VIDEO.

Is this option deleted from latest FW ?
Pls help.... thanks

pilgrim

First : Go to menu "Module"
2nd : activate the "raw_rec.mo" this module which will make the the camera can record in raw, but I prefer the "mlv_rec" (please find the explanation on the other thread.
3rd : switch off the camera
4th : switch on the camera, and on the menu "Movie" will appear the sub menu "RAW video", press the Q to adjust as you want.

Due to the capability of 550D writing on SD card, it can not do HD.
Other possibility : make lower the "FPS" and record in HD, very useful for time lapse, or record in lower than HD and then up-res.

Good luck !

ItsMeLenny

This makes me sad as I spent the time of answering "How does I RAW recording" in my FAQ http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13111.0#post_FAQ

Datadogie

Totally agree Lenny. Who reads FAQ when you can ask the same question here once or twice a week.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

oldbeer

So sorry for missing a step in between and thanks pilgrim and others for reminding me.
Now ML is working properly on my 550D so I am heading to RAW video again and I activate in Module the thing said in this FAQ.

However, when I go to Movie and shoot, it stops after 4 or 5 seconds and nothing recorded on my 550D/SD card.

I already tried several low resolution and still no luck. What could be the cause ?
My SD card is Class 10 already.
Thanks

oldbeer

The error message I saw is:-

"Frame Skipped. Stopping"

dmilligan

That's not an error. Your card (and the camera itself for that matter) simply can't keep up with the absolutely huge data rates required for RAW video.

Make one recording then notice what the bottom of the screen says when you're in the RAW video menu on the 'resolution' option.

rtf

Just installed the latest Nightly Build for the 550D. I keep getting this message: "1 skipped" , even when there isn't a frame skipped. Is this a (known) bug ?

Furthermore I do actually have more skipped/corrupt frames than with the older version of nightly build (installed about a year ago). :(

walter_schulz

Delete ML directory and Autoexec.bin from card. Copy extracted nightly contents to card and try again. Report results.

rtf

Quote from: walter_schulz on December 30, 2014, 09:54:48 AM
Delete ML directory and Autoexec.bin from card. Copy extracted nightly contents to card and try again. Report results.

Did what you said but it's skipped and corrupt frames GALORE. I haven't been able to record anything without having skipped/corrupt frames.

walter_schulz

Load RAW_REC.mo only and try recording with Global draw turned off.

rtf

Quote from: walter_schulz on December 30, 2014, 12:02:21 PM
Load RAW_REC.mo only and try recording with Global draw turned off.

Yes, this works much better. No corrupt or skipped frames. The only thing I miss now is the cropmarks, which are very useful to compose your shots. Oh well.

Thanks!

walter_schulz

Now you may test RAW_REC.mo together with Global Draw. Just Cropmarks enabled. Nothing else.

rtf

No, it works better without Global Draw turned off. I'll use the grid from the Canon menu instead. ;)

mihovilm

Hey guys, I use ML for 2 years now and I simply adore the stable version.
It saved me a lot of money on additional equipment, and it just works amazing.

But I also noticed for a while now that there are nightly builds. I most commonly take pics, but from time to time I also record some nightclub footage. I know what nightly stands for as I'm a developer, but I'm not so good with DSLR SW/FW...

Will I notice anything new on these new builds? Are they worth flashing? I don't really understand the changelog, but I see that it does affect the 600D (same stuff as T2i but the screen)...

Thanks

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Browse Nightly Builds -> Features

dmilligan

ItsMeLenny

mihovilm

mihovilm

Latest (January 14th) build is working great (did a couple of burn-in tests), stable with nice new options for timelapses..(ETTR)

Recommendation for everyone on 2.3..

nazcaman

Hi! I've successfully installed and updated ML on 5D2/5D3 and I think I'm quite familiar with the procedure, but now trying to install ML on T2i for my son to have a play with :) and run into a problem.
When going to update the firmware, T2i finds the .fir file fine, displays "Loading" and then the display goes blank, that's it, the only thing is happening I get intermittent red light showing activity, but nothing happens? Tried few times, waited several minutes, no joy? The only thing to get out of that state is to take the battery out.

Anyone experienced something similar?

Thanks

walter_schulz

Blinking normally means wrong Canon firmware version. Visit http://pel.hu/eoscard and download proper version and install it first.
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install#troubleshooting

daniel_kursk

We need a new stable version build (like v2.3). I would really love to be able to play with new features, but I shoot for clients and do not have time to mess around with nightlies.
Does anyone know if there is a new stable version coming soon?

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: daniel_kursk on February 10, 2015, 03:48:51 PM
We need a new stable version build (like v2.3). I would really love to be able to play with new features, but I shoot for clients and do not have time to mess around with nightlies.
Does anyone know if there is a new stable version coming soon?

Nowadays the Nightlies are more stable than the Stable 2.3 version.
And Stable 2.3 version isn't really recommended.