Dual ISO RAW video impossible to process

Started by mooon, August 26, 2014, 09:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooon

Hello everyone,
I just tried for two entire days without any success... may someone help me right here !

I try to deal with my Dual ISO RAW videos out from my 5D3. I shoot, export MLV with MLV Mystic (Beta 5) or with mlv_dump and terminal command to get my dng's. I put dng's or CR2 renamed dng's in CR2HDR (2.0) and it creates a txt file I report just below :

QuoteActive options:
--amaze-edge    : use a temporary demosaic step (AMaZE) followed by edge-directed interpolation (default)
--cs2x2         : apply 2x2 chroma smoothing in noisy and aliased areas (default)

Input file      : M25-1947_frame_000000-dualiso.CR2
Camera          : Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Full size       : 1856 x 650
Active area     : 1856 x 650
Doesn't look like interlaced ISO

Obviously, my images are really shot with Dual ISO, as one is really dark and the next one brighter... I'm not that bad ;)

I'm on Mac but got a Windows 7 aside if needed...

Thank you so much if you can tell me what I do wrong... And sorry for my english as I'm french !

Walter Schulz

Sorry, what you mean with "one is really dark and the next one brighter"?
Do you have two files or a single one?
Dual ISO will generate a single file (when shooting stills) where low ISO and high ISO is interlaced in this very file. If you view dual ISO files at 100 percent you will see horizontal stripes (in landscape orientation) all over.

mooon

Hi Walter !
No, I took movies, not stills. I succedeed dealing with Dual ISO stills (with stripes) but here I got .MOV or .MLV with one frame dark, one frame bright and then again and again.
I'm trying to work with the automatic workflow on windows right now and it seems to work... maybe it's just the Mac workflow I can't make work !

Edit 1 : And it's ok ! Eventually ! I'll continue to look for a Mac workflow but in the meantime I can work on PC with the incredibly automatic workflow offered on ML site ! Thanks again for your reply

zenclimber

hi there,

can you elaborate on your workflow? on Mac I have DNGs without horizontal lines... but just as you said one frame dark exposed, one frame bright exposed, etc, etc.

cr2hdr works on single images... not on a series of images. I'm lost!

Danne

Upload some samples. Are you sure you, re not filming Hdr video?

dmilligan

Quote from: zenclimber on November 12, 2014, 09:27:24 PM
but just as you said one frame dark exposed, one frame bright exposed, etc, etc.
That is not Dual ISO! That is "HDR Video". They are two very different things. "Dual ISO" alternates lines in a single frame (interlaced), "HDR video" alternates entire frames (the ISO changes every other frame).

There aren't really any good workflows for "HDR Video", because it was more or less abandoned after raw video and dual ISO, which tend to give far superior results. I would advise against using HDR Video. However, I do have a photoshop script for combining bracketed sets images (which is basically what HDR video is), that might work for this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7682.0. You could also use photomatix or enfuse etc. to batch combine the frames. I believe there's an enfuse script around somewhere that will do this (use search function).

I tried to make the dual ISO workflow pretty easy with MLVFS: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.0

DeafEyeJedi

MLVFS is the way to go... otherwise you can also use @Danne's app which does the job well and basically it's one of the easiest workflows around as long as you are actually using Dual-ISO module and not the HDR video module.

Here's the link to it (if approved by Danne):
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13512.msg130562#msg130562
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109