Luminance triggered full-res silent pictures

Started by dmilligan, August 02, 2014, 10:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milank

The buttons - yes - it worked as you wrote, I also try to find the way how to reproduce it - so far it was random.
The sticky HS: is there a way to run the trigger for more than 30' ?
My primarily reason why I am interested in this is to understand the code and to be able to make my own modifications.
Thefore standalone binaries are not much exciting :)

mk11174

Got a early morning bolt with Full res trigger, I could of shot regular CR2 images but I was only able to do 3 second exposures and sun was coming up  anyway so I figured just test out the trigger.

It did well detecting, I used it with preview and plot off, just showing Raw Data and threshold was good at 1000 to keep from getting just the cloud flashes detected.

It worked perfect, but the limitation of doing full res is the cut offs like in this image, it only happens every so often, it is just a timing issue, nothing to do with the trigger itself, just how the slowness of using fullres, sometimes the bolt just happens at that bad time while its scanning.

I tried exposures from 3 seconds to 1/10 seconds, and it was happening for every setting, but only randomly.

500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

mk11174

Here is a day bolt I just got an hour ago with same same cut off issue. I went with a threshold of 500 seemed good, all worked fine, I was at a shutter of 0.5" on this one and aperture was F22 all the way closed with no ND8 filter, I was just about to put it on since my aperture was maxed out at this point.

Same deal, only Raw Data showing on screen, I only preview to set my scanline position then I turn preview off and just watch the raw data to keep an eye on my threshold.

Oh, the stop of that middle bolt was cut off because it was a triple bolter, 0.5" was not slow enough to capture all 3.

milank

nice bolts :) just ordered B&W ND64 filter for daytime fullres-silent shooting, can't wait :)

mk11174

Interesting since the whole bolt is there and its just an exposure difference, the bolts can be fixed with a little work.

mk11174

Quote from: milank on August 15, 2014, 11:47:32 AM
The sticky HS: is there a way to run the trigger for more than 30' ?
Not that I know of, as far as I know from alex it can only do 15 longest, that is just how it works I guess.

milank

Just tested with bolt_raw module, there is a timer set at 30', after that time, the trigger exits and LV is restored.
A key press resets the timer (I used right and left buttons).
This could mean if we can periodically emulate the key press within the trigger task loop, we can go over 30' limit in the silent-trigger module too.

mk11174

Quote from: milank on August 15, 2014, 11:54:11 PM
Just tested with bolt_raw module, there is a timer set at 30', after that time, the trigger exits and LV is restored.
This could mean if we can periodically emulate the key press within the trigger task loop, we can go over 30' limit in the silent-trigger module too.
So on your camera the bolt trigger shuts off to live view after 30 seconds??? If so, what camera are you using again? MAll of my rebel cams there is no limit, it just runs till I cancel it on both bolt_raw and full res.

dmilligan

' = minutes
" = seconds

Quote from: milank on August 15, 2014, 11:54:11 PM
A physical keypress resets the timer, but a software emulated key press likely doesn't. This has been an ongoing issue for other areas (mainly raw recoding). The main problem is that it's just so hard to test. Trying something in code requires 30 mintues to find out if it actually worked. That's very impractical from a development standpoint.

mk11174

Quote from: dmilligan on August 16, 2014, 03:02:46 AM
' = minutes
" = seconds
Ah, ok, I think I have heard of that issue awhile back, and yes, be a pain to test that one, lol.

milank

A physical keypress resets the timer, but a software emulated key press likely doesn't.
Correct, confirmed.
Fot those who want to try, function
module_send_keypress(MODULE_KEY_PRESS_RIGHT);
has no effect on the timer. Would be interesting anyway to have the trigger rather in fully unassisted mode, especially for bolt shooting.

a1ex

Pressing and unpressing the shutter by software (call SW1) will reset the timer, but it might have side effects, like triggering autofocus or getting out of the current GUI mode.

I'm not sure if the following sequnence has any effect:

call("DisablePowerSave")
call("EnablePowerSave")

but Canon code calls it whenever it receives an event from the MPU (including button codes).

Current approach in silent pictures is to simply get back in LiveView (but for that, it should detect when LiveView is no longer open). If you stay in the QR mode, it's hard to tell when the mirror went up (I had an attempt to fix it for a timelapse, it appeared to work, but the mirror went up after a few hours, and remained undetected - definitely not funny to test).

milank

Just tried with both silent-fullres-triger and bolt_raw with negative result.
So there must be something in addition inside native Canon button press code, which does the keepalive.
The only case of breaking the 30' limit I am aware of, has been the FPS override (non raw) video recording. However, with the raw (MLV) video recording, the limit came back again, for some reason.