Kelvin WB + G/M White Balance Usage

Started by Gobeatty, July 29, 2014, 06:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobeatty

I installed ML on my 6D a few days ago, mainly to try out the Kelvin WB + G/M feature. It works well but noticed something odd when switching back to Canon AWB or other settings.

It seems to me the G/M offset determined by ML is persistent to the other WB modes. So, if ML dials in 8 Magenta and I switch to AWB, I will get a very Magenta WB.  This also means any tweaking of these values done by me to set a personal preference are overridden.

This behavior is different than Canon's custom WB. Canon's process retains and applies my personal setting after determining WB based on a neutral target.  I do not know for sure if Canon's process also adjusts G/M internally but doesn't reflect this adjustment in the settings.

I was burned on this when I set WB through ML, changed shooting situations, and switched to AWB.

Thoughts?

ItsMeLenny

Yeah, i've made the mistake before of not switching the G/M back before, but my eyes are good enough to detect it on the review of the first picture.

The G/M B/A shift is different to the white balance, as it's its own shifter and bracket-er (as you can actually bracket photos over a WB shift).
Not sure if the canon auto wb incorporates a shift, somehow I'm under the impression that it's not (based on that fluorescent lights give off a green hue, and canon wb doesn't filter it out like ML wb does.

Stuff you probably already knew, and I know your main point is that is there a way for the G/M to reset with the switching of WB pre-sets.
I am not sure :P But it'd be nice if there was.
Your camera is operating in the same way as mine is though, so it's normal at the moment.

Gobeatty

Thank you. If ML adjusts G/M and Canon custom does not, then I will likely continue using ML. So far, I'm not seeing a difference, but I suspect you are right and I will try testing under more dire lighting conditions. Would be nice if ML didn't change the offset for other WB settings though.

ItsMeLenny

Yeah, someone could probably be implemented to stop the shifting of G/M.
I find ML WB to be better, but maybe just because I like seeing the actual white balance for future reference.