Camera Wont Start after installing ML

Started by chri5ers, July 29, 2014, 05:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chri5ers

Hi There, I'm new to Magic Lantern, I tried installing Magic Lantern onto my 7D today... now my camera is dead, it simply will not boot.

This what I did:
I installed Canon Firmware 2.0.3
Then I installed the magiclantern-Nightly.2014Jul28.7D203 via the firmware update section of the Canon 7D (just like i did to install the Canon Firmware 2.0.3).
I got a message that told me to shut down the camera, which I did.
On reboot I couldn't access the Magic Lantern menu system, I had some cropped text at the top and bottom but I was unable to read it properly.
After powering down the Camera again, I can't get it to re boot, it's completely dead!!!
I've tried using different fully charged batteries, a canon mains adaptor, removing and remounting the lens, removing the CF card, replacing CF card with fresh one (blank).
I'm at a loss, what to do,  I need this camera for a shoot in 2 days time, I'm now faced with the prospect of having to buy a completely new body....
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP??!!
If I send it back to Canon will they be able to fix it?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Chris

Walter Schulz

Remove card, remove battery, insert battery. Will cam start up?

chri5ers

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 29, 2014, 05:45:15 PM
Remove card, remove battery, insert battery. Will cam start up?

Hi Walter,

I've done as you suggested, still no joy, camera is completely dead.

Did I do anything wrong in the install proceedure? I've since found a thread saying you need to use EOS utility to enable bootflag, http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/7D_support
I didn't do this. I remember seeing a message saying something about bootflag when I first installed magic lantern... but the message dissapeared off the edge of the screen...

Any help greatly appreciated,

Chris

Walter Schulz

No LED blinking, no status screen showing up?
That's something a1ex would be interested in, I suppose.

Don't be bothered by outdated information ...

chri5ers

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 29, 2014, 06:45:58 PM
No LED blinking, no status screen showing up?
That's something a1ex would be interested in, I suppose.

Hi Walter,

I've got my 7D powering up again, it looks like I had a glitch with the battery grip not supplying power... I forgot that when you detach the battery grip and go back to normal mode, you have to re-attach the battery compartment hinge cap/lid that comes with the 7D for the battery to work/ camera to power up.

I now have my 7D up and running again, seemingly on the original Canon firmware, how do you activate / access ML? the user guide doesn't seem to cater for 7D.....

Many thanks,

Chris