Canon 5D3 with Anker Astro Pro2 20000mAh

Started by marekk, July 28, 2014, 09:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marekk

Hi

I'm trying to connect Anker Astro external battery to Canon 5D3 using DR-E6 option (battery with cable). I've found this guide http://www.diyphotography.net/external-canon-battery-lasts-9-times-longer/ . It looks like it doesn't work on 5D3.. Maybe 9V is to much for this camera. It should be ~8V.
Maybe some of you know how to connect it properly ?

Audionut

QuoteTo complete the setup, Chris uses a 10,000mAh battery that has an external DC output of 9V which is close enough to the operational voltage of 7.4 that the camera needs.

Looks like he's an engineer too.  :P

If you can't smell smoke, I would suspect some connectivity issue.  If you can smell smoke, it's probably to many volts.

marekk

Quote from: Audionut on July 29, 2014, 03:07:52 PM
Looks like he's an engineer too.  :P

If you can't smell smoke, I would suspect some connectivity issue.  If you can smell smoke, it's probably to many volts.

It looks like problem with voltage. I checked connectivity with electronic multimeter :)

Jackeatley

I've had cameras behave in a funny fashion when connected to 7.4v supplies from batteries onto a coupler.

The 550d can get stuck in a sensor cleaning loop with a coupler with slightly low voltage in the camera. (Trys, fails, shuts down, repeat)
Place the same coupler with the same supply into a battery grip and it'll simply report "replace battery pack"

I also suspect there is handshaking involved, the camera saw and AC supply unit with too low voltage, but the knock off battery grip saw too lower voltage in general as it always sees AA batteries according to the camera menu no matter what is inserted.

Don't expect what a meter shows to be what the supply voltage is either, I would expect a 9V supply to be over 9V if you measured it without a  load.

marekk

Finally:
http://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-LM2596-Converter-Module-1-23v-30v/dp/B00CYX78HY

I've just ordered a DC-DC converter with LED display. I will try to convert 12V or 9V from Anker to 8.2V.

Danne

marekk

Canon 5D Mark III connected to external battery - Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 20000mAh over LM2596 DC-DC Adjustable Power Step-down Module.

Anker battery set to 9V output.
LM2596 set to 8,3V.

You need also Canon DC Coupler DR-E6 (or cheap replacement).

DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK.

Jackeatley

I've been running both 550ds and 50ds off the catclaw device using a pair of Sony NPF-550s, haven't seen either one overheat yet, temps aren't rising quite as high or as fast as batteries when in use. And due to to a proper 7.4v output, no need for a regulator.

Manufacturer claims 12 hours life, and I see reason to argue at this point, I haven't tested it, but a few 2 hour sessions and its still running on battery set number 1.

marekk

I tested my new battery solution on Iceland during 2 weeks holidays and I shot 40 timelapse scenes without single issue. 4% of battery per scene (220 shots).

SiSS

SiSS

Another question, did you use Lanparte dummy?