Exposure

Started by guillaumelynn, July 27, 2014, 07:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guillaumelynn

Is there a way or will there ever be a way to set the exposure to higher than 30" on the 5d3. I saw that it could go up to 32" but i was hoping for more like 60" or 120". I wanted to shoot star time lapses without bumping the iso way up. do you know if this is possible any other way?

Walter Schulz

Shoot tab -> Bulb timer

dmilligan

BTW, what Canon calls 30" is actually 32", that's why ML says 32" (time it yourself if you don't believe me)

guillaumelynn

I know about the bulb but you can only set it once and then you have to manually set it again for another picture. unless I'm mistaken and theres a way to have it repeat over and over with out having to reset it. i want it to run all night so i don't really want to stay awake with it all night.

barepixels

how are you doing it?  are you using a telescope mount that can compensate for earth rotation?  or are you doing star trails
5D2 + nightly ML

Walter Schulz

Quote from: guillaumelynn on July 28, 2014, 06:36:45 AM
I know about the bulb but you can only set it once

Just tried it with a 650D:
Bulb timer + Intervalometer and everything is working

guillaumelynn

i am doing star trails. at 30" its not a huge trail. Walter, how exactly are you doing it? setting it on bulb mode and then setting your remote to a certain amount of seconds? which intervalometer do you have?

Walter Schulz

Shoot tab -> Intervalometer
Same tab where Bulb Timer is located.

barepixels

Quote from: guillaumelynn on July 28, 2014, 07:42:52 AM
i am doing star trails. at 30" its not a huge trail.
'

have you try stacking them?  http://www.markus-enzweiler.de/software/software.html

this was done with few hundreds30 seconds exposures and after effects

5D2 + nightly ML

dmilligan

Stacking is the way to go for star trails since it takes at least an hour to get a decent amount of trail, and you don't really want to put all your eggs in one basket so to speak. Should something go wrong during that hour exposure, you've lost an hour, also you can do a timelapse as well, so one sequence of shots gets you a timelapse and a startrails photo => 2 for the price of one. I like to use 30" - 60" if I'm doing timelapse and star trails, or if I plan on only doing star trails and want to make post processing a little easier I'll do 5 min exposures (fewer photos to stack means stacking doesn't take as long and FPN is less). Here's an example 28x5min exposures for just shy of 2.5 hours total: