7D footage uprezzed to 2k?

Started by herodotus, July 23, 2014, 11:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herodotus

I don't know where else to go with this one.

I'm working in FCP 7 and the director of this short gave me ProRes 4444 2048 × 858 files to edit. He's now throwing in some RAW footage shot with a 7D, same aspect ratio of 2.39:1, but at resolution of 1728x724 which have been converted to ProRes 4444 via MlRawViewer. What do you suggest would be the best way to upscale the 1728x724 footage to match the 2k scope footage, since it's such an unusual resolution? We don't have anything but Final Cut Studio - so we have Compressor, FCP and Color, but that's it...

Kharak

Adobe Ae cc has some kind of biliniar upscaling technique. Not sure how that fits your workflow.

I would also suggest that all upscaling be done with the original DNG's.

I've had pleassurable results with upscaling from DNG's to Tiffs in ACR, if you can get your hands on them.

once you go raw you never go back

herodotus

Hm. Well, we do have Lightroom.

Lightroom 3. Huh. Can we upscale in Lightroom?

I was searching and found this clip: https://vimeo.com/66296375

Which is of 5d3 footage, his workflow is: 14bit .raw converted to .dng using raw2dng, transcoded to .tiff using Lightroom 3, rendered as a ProResHQ video using Quicktime Pro 7.

I'm thinking use this workflow if I can get my hands on the MLVs, substituting the MLRawviwer to conver the MLV to DMG, import into lightroom & grade & (hopefully) scale them up, then render as ProRes 4444 with QT 7.

What do you think?

Kharak

I dont use lightroom, fcp or prores.. So I cant be of much help there.

But if it works for whom is in that video, then it should also for you. I'm sorry, but I have only a 5kbs connection, so i cant watch it.

If lightroom has ACR, then you can upscale there. Go via Bridge and select all DNG's.
once you go raw you never go back

DFM

If you had the folder of DNG files you could upscale them in Lightroom's Export dialog and re-render the ProRes; but I don't expect you'd be able to see any difference between that and simply scaling the existing 1728-pixel ProRes footage (other than the hours passing by as you wait for the thing to render).

Doing inter-pixel resizes (>200%) you start to care about the algorithm, but you're only going up by 19%.

herodotus

Ah, thank you. DFM, do you mean the scaling that takes place in FCP?

limey

Wow I feel like a shmuck. So glad to have read this post, because I had no idea you can go straight to .mov file from MLV using MLRawViewer. What a time savings!

DFM

Quote from: herodotus on July 26, 2014, 04:33:49 PM
Ah, thank you. DFM, do you mean the scaling that takes place in FCP?

Indeed. You could upscale the original files, or just scale the existing clip inside FCP - my point is you'll find it very hard to notice any quality difference in this case, but doing it in FCP via the Transform tool is a 5-second job.