Jaggies/pixelation in Resolve Lite 10

Started by drfrink24, July 23, 2014, 10:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drfrink24

Trying to replicate some of the truly amazing footage I'm seeing with others results.  I've made some good strides learning color correction, reading scopes, etc.. but where I'm struggling is with the moire/jaggies/pixelation vs. others test footage.

550D/T2i
960x408 upscaled to 1920x1080 (this might be a problem already w/2x upscale?) filmed at 23.976 FPS
1/45th aperture
18mm - 55mm kit lense
F/4, ISO 100

Frames viewed using Adobes CinemaDNG viewer are awesome, in fact, so awesome that in some cases I'd need very minor correction to be satisfied with the results (would be nice to use those settings).

However, once there is movement, or even worse, movement of lots of objects (leaves), it just becomes a pixelated/jagged/rainbow mess.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Workflow is quite simple :  MLV > MLVMystic to CinemaDNG > Resolve 10 lite.  I do not have FCP, ACR or any other editing software (yet).

I am going to try and film at higher resolution (even though I'll lose the ability to record for more than a 30+ seconds), to see if its just a simple matter of 2x upscaling. 

drfrink24

I figured out that the issue is likely related to a junk wide angle lens + applying sharpness at the wrong step during post.  The non-full frame sensor and the smaller cropped area makes it so difficult to get non-landscape shots. 

Andy600

Try altering monitor scaling in the set-up panel if you haven't already done so. It defaults to a lower res version. Also, play with debayer settings (i.e. smooth or sharp) and raw sharpness in the Camera Raw panel.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com