[WONTFIX]Record audio for 3 seconds, disable audio, boost CBR for post sync ease

Started by madwiz92, July 23, 2014, 06:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madwiz92

Hello,

Huge fan of Magic Lantern!  My first post here.  Since it is impossible to record more than 1.4x CBR with audio on my T2i, I use an external recorder.  The issue is syncing audio in post with the external audio and footage.  It's not easy and takes more time.  Would it be possible to have an option in ML that when the video recording begins, ML would record audio for a couple of seconds only at the default bitrate, then disable audio and boost the CBR to a defined rate (such at 3.0x) automatically.  This would be much easier to sync in post, especially with software such as PluralEyes.

ItsMeLenny

Have you tried disabling audio and recording at 3.0x on a t2i? I'm curious if it actually works.
Also, I know the card writing speed on t2i is limited, but what is your card speed?
Doesn't sound like a bad idea, whether it's easier (and probably more accurate) to get a couple of pieces of timber and screw them together on a hinge for a home made clapper?

madwiz92

With audio disabled 3.0x CBR can be used with lower ISO values and when not shooting a complex scene.  If the scene is complex the bitrate will spike to just over 100 mbps and stop the recording.  Anything under 100 mbps records fine.  I'm using a SanDisk Extreme 45 MB/s card, and the ML benchmark says I'm utilizing the full 21 MB/s write speed of the camera.

I understand the old tried and true method of a clapper works great, however a feature like this could be helpful and useful as well.  With the PluralEyes plugin it's even easier and faster to sync audio, as well as manual waveform syncing.

Audionut

This should be possible, but since it's likely to add very little for the general userbase, and you have the option of doing it old school with a clapperboard...............