metering on global draw screen.

Started by johnny5d, July 14, 2014, 01:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny5d

Hi all I just had a shoot. I shot in RAW.
Back on the computer the clips from raw are to dark...
How does the metering work ? I see to little screens on my screen that move when I move the camera. One has a purple line in the middle.

Can someone give me more info about how to use this?

jimmyD30

By default histogram and waveform are presented with LiveView (you can opt to turn these off or turn off global draw altogether), they are exposure aids.

Histogram and waveform usage has been discussed on this forum in the past (so you could search), but I STRONGLY suggest you research what both of these things are in places more dedicated to such topics (these two exposure tools are applicable to photography as well as videography, so learning about them in either context is cross-applicable). NOT that this forum doesn't do a very good job explaining what they are, but I suggest you get at least a good fundamental understanding of what they are where they are more completely discussed, then ask here about how to use/apply them in certain context.

The general concept of these two exposure tools are not all that complex, but a thorough and complete understanding of them is best to make the most use of them :)

EDIT: When I rely upon using these two ML features, my footage has been underexposed also, so until I find out what's going on, I use the Canon exposure meter for metering and that has always been spot on.

johnny5d

Thank you!  I will leave globle draw off next time... Hope I can fix the footage in post.

jimmyD30

In post try using ACR, should be able to recover there.

Also, you don't have to turn Global Draw off, just the histogram and waveform, because global draw is also needed for framing/crop marks/etc. With Global Draw on/allow you can cycle through different LiveView overlays using the Info button, where you can bring up the Canon exposure meter, then go back to ML overlay if you want.