Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Started by Audionut, July 10, 2014, 04:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

Note:  Any members who can compile, are more then welcome to fill requests in this thread.  I would like to keep all posted builds to this thread, so that the forums do not get cluttered by numerous builds, resulting in lots of old builds being left scattered throughout the forums long after the original development, and confusing new members.

Within reason, members are free to do as they see fit, however, before fulfilling requests, please consider this message from a1ex, and the intent with which I created this thread.
My bolding for emphasis.
Quote from: a1ex on May 15, 2014, 09:44:11 PM
If you look at the number of ML downloads (it exceeded 1 million downloads, without counting the 5D3, 7D and most recent ports), you will realize right away that relaxing the license for my postprocessing code would be like saying "here you have the perfect recipe to make a small fortune from my work, just take it, it's all free".

Unfortunately for some of you, this is not exactly my intention, and GPL is just a tool to prevent such situations from happening. I could have given this code away as public domain, but I chose to protect my work from being used without giving back.

Instead, I'm trying to build a community that does not just consume whatever we give to them, but I want this community to actually participate in the development process, help each other, and share the knowledge. We gave you some free software, we gave you a proof of concept that you found useful, and now we expect you all to take this software at the next level, and let us build upon your work, in the same way as you have built upon ours. I'm quite far from this utopian goal though, but this is the direction I want ML to go.

Thanks for taking your time to provide builds for the community.

A large amount of the recent development work has moved to the branch system.  This is excellent, as it allows "power users" to help with that development, while keeping that development outside of the regular nightly builds, and reducing the chances for a large number of "bricks".

As an attempt to reduce the divide between knowledgeable developers, and useful contributors, I will provide a compile service.

The process will work like so.  You state the camera you are using, and the features you would like to test.  I will compile the build, and you will provide feedback.

I only have a 5D3, and don't have time to test the builds I create for this camera (unless you specifically test the branches I also test), so naturally, these builds will be provided "as is", without any warranty, and if your camera melts when using these builds, you get to keep all of the melted bits.  If you would like to help with this feedback, but are not comfortable with the risks involved, I would suggest waiting until feedback is received for a build you would like to test.  At least then the build has been confirmed as working or not.

Please do not request builds if you are not comfortable with the risks involved, or if you are not sure you will have the time to provide feedback.  This is not a service for you to simply use these latest developments, for that you have to compile yourself.  If I find that this service is being abused, or the feedback from users is lacking, I will naturally stop providing it.

Please do not share these builds.  There are reasons why this development work is not readily available, and defeating this by sharing these builds will be considered abuse.

Also please do not request builds if you have a low post count, call me cynical, but a low post count is not an exemplary example of feedback.  Of course, you can download an already requested build and provide feedback on that.  I have an idea on who useful feedback users are, and post counts will not apply to them.

I've linked this a couple of times, but let me provide specific mention of it.  This thread contains some excellent advice (thanks dmilligan) on how to provide feedback:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9516.0

Well, that was a long disclaimer, lets move onto the fun stuff.

To see what branches are available, check here:  https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/branches
Most of the branches also have a pull request:  https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests

These pull requests will have links to the relevant forum threads.  Please read these specific threads first.  They contain relevant information about the development work.  Feel free to leave general feedback here, but please leave specific feedback regarding the development work in their specific threads.

As a last note, I haven't tested all branches personally yet, so there may be times where I cannot provide a requested build within a reasonable time frame.

The builds:

vertigopix

romainmenke

Awesome!
Is there something that needs testing or can be done with a 5D2? I've been following the iso-research and srm memory threads, but would be happy to help with anything that needs some love. Read the "how to report bugs" thread and "tips for helping dev's", so I'm good to go.

Audionut

Looks like the stubs need to be found on the 5D2 for SRM related stuff.

I haven't been following the cropmark related stuff, might want to ask the guys over here if 5D2 related dumps are needed.  This requires no dev/hacking knowledge, just time.

a1ex needs 5D2 stuff here and here.  Both requests do not need dev/hacker knowledge, only time.  Second request need a suitable target for imaging.

That's three things off the top of my head.  :)

//todo.  Make another post with info like this for all cameras.

Levas

@audionut

Hello, I would like to test on the Canon 6d if the SRM code can be used in combination with the extra memory hack already available in the older builds.

According to Alex:
"Try compiling 3d6a945, or ask Audionut here to do it for you."

This quote from Alex comes from the following topic:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12528.new#new

Don't know if this is enough information, do you know what I would like to test or do you need additional information ?

Thanks for the hard work  8)

nikfreak

I can compile 3d6a945 in about 12 hours for you as I have no access to my build environment atm. Ofc if no one else agrees to do so in the meantime. It's just some minutes to do and upload it. I also am interested in the results
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Levas

@nikfreak
In about 12 hours from now is quick enough, no need to rush.
Can't test it anyway within 24 hours from now.
Have to go to work over 1,5 hour, it's a nightshift, so afterwards I'll be sleeping.

Thanks for helping with the compiling part  :)

nikfreak

Here is mine as promised to test @Levas. See also first post as Audionut already compiled it for you. Use his build first

Build removed //Audionut.

Levas

@Audionut

The build "6D with SRM-memory." works.
The option "use SRM job memory" in the raw video menu works.
The option "memory hack" in the raw video menu works.

But both options together didn't result in any more  memory... ::) or actually I mean  :'(

Did some testing and looked at the MLV file size
Both options = the same file size as Memory hack only 
SRM option only = slightly higher file size vs memory hack option and both options.
So it  looks like both options results in gaining the memory from the memory hack, but doesn't give us any SRM memory. ???

Levas

@Nikfreak

Downloaded your build, does work, but doesn't have any modules in it.
The MLV recording module isn't in your build.

Audionut

So,

Quote from: a1ex on July 15, 2014, 04:42:19 PM
This means, the benefit for 6D is just cleaner code and a smaller delay before starting to record.

;) :P

@nitfreak, for future reference, run make in the source directory, then browse to the required platform directory (6D.113 in this case), and run make zip.
This will compile the modules and produce a nightly type zip in the platform directory.

Builds cleaned from the thread.  Required feedback has been given.

Levas

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

The cleaner code part... ::), doesn't excite me  :P

But, I'm happy with the smaller delay   8)

nikfreak

Thanx for feedback @Levas and also thank you Audionut for the feedback regarding compilation.  8)

N/A

Whatever needs to be tested for 7d, I'll be happy to do. Right now I'm most interested in SRM memory and full res silent pics. If you could compile these, I'll be your best friend  :D

:edit: a1ex just posted that SRM is now included in the nightlies, but whatever else needs testing on 7d I'd be happy to work with.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Levas

Audionut,

I read this post in the full res picture topic:
Quote from: c2s07 on July 17, 2014, 06:53:10 PM
The intervalometer is already able to capture silent pictures, just enable both and it works. :-)

It seems that full res silent pictures is already usable for time-lapses with the intervalometer  :o
Would like to test it for some night-time time-lapse of the sky full of stars.
Don't know if it takes much of your time , but if you have the time to compile a build for the 6d which contains the full res silent picture option, I would really appreciate it  :)
I did read that it takes quite a lot of time to process the DNG, so I probably test it first so I set the interval large enough between shots.

multiversquantique

I want to test full-res silent pic on my 5d mark III 1.2.3 but don't know how to compile ..

Audionut

@ Levas.

That one needs RAW_PHOTO_EDMAC found for the 6D.  And probably the skip offsets re-calibrated, details in the full-res OP.

Also, this one needs more then just usage testing.

Quote from: a1ex on July 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM
- figure out how to speed up the capture process (maybe without the dummy capture step, or find out how to trigger the continuous readout mode)
- figure out how to get fast shutter speeds, as in LiveView (electronic shutter)
- implement a fast bracketing, exposure stacking or other funky capture modes

@ N/A

In terms of build testing, I think the only thing is Black Level Fix.

Also this,
../../src/raw.c: In function 'raw_update_params_work':
../../src/raw.c:596:10: warning: #warning FIXME: are these values correct for 720p and crop modes? [-Wcpp]

I had a quick look at the code, but I'm not entirely sure what's needed here.

There is some other stuff that doesn't need specific builds or knowledge, only time:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12657.0

Levas

Quote from: Audionut on July 18, 2014, 03:31:17 AM
That one needs RAW_PHOTO_EDMAC found for the 6D.  And probably the skip offsets re-calibrated, details in the full-res OP.

Audionut, I saw some comments in the spreadsheet Nikfreak started for the 6d, it seems that Alex and 1% have the data you mention above.
Don't know if this data is available for compiling  :-\

Rythmtech

Unable to compile myself unfortunately (hmmm ...that sounds all wrong but anyway), ...is anyone able to build a "full res silent pictures" version for the 650D?  Cheers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
650D | Canon 17-55 2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Nifty 50 1.8
---------------------------------------------------------------------

SKiD

Quote from: Rythmtech on July 24, 2014, 06:41:15 AM
Unable to compile myself unfortunately (hmmm ...that sounds all wrong but anyway), ...is anyone able to build a "full res silent pictures" version for the 650D?  Cheers.

me too!
---------
Canon 650D with ML

surami

May I have a nightly build for 550D with the latest full-res silent pic module to save the frames to MLV? I would like to test it.
550D + nightly ML

Levas

Audionut and/or NikFreak

See the full-res-silent pic topic
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.new#new
See the posts from me and A1ex.
I did the raw_diag OB-zone test, but it needs to be done with the fullres-silent-pics branch (the offsets changed).
Can you guys help and compile a full-res-silent pics build for the 6d ?