Updating Canon Firmware with ML prepared cards

Started by kurthis, July 08, 2012, 05:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurthis

Hi!

I wanted to know, how would I update the original Canon firmware in my 600D. Of course I know how to do it with an untouched camera, but I wanted to be sure that I don't make any mistakes with a touched one ;)

The situation is as follows:

600D on 1.0.1
2 SD Cards, both prepared with ML

Should I revert one card to normal and update with that or can I just use one of the cards and update? The version of ML is 1694c068b6dd compiled from source at the moment. It would be no problem to compile a newer commit though.

Thanks for your help :)

a1ex

You can format one card and use it for updating.

scrax

Also only for 600D ML supports 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 firmware (since they are pretty the same, just some translation fix in 1.0.2) so you can upgrade your camera firmware if you want before updating ML.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

kurthis

Yeah, I'm aware of that. But I can't get my head around that if I use a SD card with bootflag set, ML installed, Canon firmware on it too, to update the camera. So I think, that I'll have to revert the bootflag, delete ML and use that card for updating. Am I right?

TIA

a1ex

Ah, no need to revert the bootflag, the firmware update won't touch it.

scrax

You have the old card, drop in it the canon 1.0.2 fir and do the update (if more than one fir on card camera will ask you which file to use)
Then format the card copy all the .zip content on it and restart firmware update.
The installer will check your boot flag (and since it's already set it will leave it as is) and then it will make the card bootable (it was reverted to not bootable when formatted).

Easy as 1-2-3 for each card you what to use:
1. Format on camera
2. copy ML zip content
3. update firmware

Quote from: kurthis on July 08, 2012, 05:54:48 PM
But I can't get my head around that if I use a SD card with bootflag set,
the boot flag is set on camera, the card instead need to be bootable so when formatting the card it will be no more bootable (if you not use the keep ML function)
A bootable card will not load if there is any autoexec.bin on it if the camera has the boot flag enabled, but a non bootable card can be loaded without auto exec.bin on it even if the camera has the bootflag set.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

kurthis

But if the bootflag (I mean the EOSDeveloper entry in the bootsector of the card) is set on the card, there has to be an autoexec.bin on it or else the cam will crash on boot, doesn't it? That's where my problem headwise arises from ;P

So it's possible to use the SD card with EOSDeveloper set, a current ML version which runs on 1.0.2 and 1.0.1, to do the firmware update without formating it in the first place? Or is it mandatory to have a card which is not bootable?

Sry for the hazzle...

scrax

If don't want to format you can delete all the old ML files from the card since now ML has a new folder structure they will be not used anymore.
Then your card will still be bootable and your camera will still have the boot flag on. (but no .bin so loading it now will hang the camera)
So you can put all the zip on it and you are set without formatting.
Quote from: kurthis on July 08, 2012, 06:07:50 PM
But if the bootflag (I mean the EOSDeveloper entry in the bootsector of the card) is set on the card, there has to be an autoexec.bin on it or else the cam will crash on boot, doesn't it? That's where my problem headwise arises from ;P
Yes, but formatting the card will reset it and so even without autoexec.bin it will load.
After copying ML zip on it you run the firmware update to make the card bootable
So it's possible to use the SD card with EOSDeveloper set, a current ML version which runs on 1.0.2 and 1.0.1, to do the firmware update without formating it in the first place? Or is it mandatory to have a card which is not bootable?
Yes but you need to have the correct new folder structure for ML to work.