Low Skill shooters slowing down production

Started by kihlbahkt, July 08, 2014, 03:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kihlbahkt

I am producing six half hour episodes of live action comedy and I have found that it is asking too much to have no and low skill shooters understand framing, composition, safe zones and exposure, let alone deal with on the fly focus, and any ML bells and whistles. Too many shots get discarded and require reshooting It is a struggle to impart artistic and technical aesthetics to the uninitiated, untrained people that I am very grateful to have help me. I think I am going to have to create a crash course for my peeps so that I can get them to understand these concepts and have the technical confidence to manipulate the cameras effectively. The best laid plans often pave a path to hell. I hope it goes well. None of these folks are being paid money, so there's that upside and downside combined. Anyone here had to deal with this issue? Makes me appreciate the skills I have and motivates me to seek skilled cam people locally thru art organizations or something. Hit the pavement and talk to some people is in order, I guess. No one else around to rant about this to, so i thought I would vent it right here for you fine people. I already feel better so I wont start on the difficulty of direction/setup/makeup/lighting/logistics and everything else and then be able to get into a proper place for doing a performance. Doing that switch from 'making sure everything is ready to go guy' to 'calm, motivated performer' is a bitch and i'm still working to be able to make that transition short and effective.
600D x2

jimmyD30

Do you have a decent AD? That could take a load off your shoulders :D

Yeah, def should seek people at least who want to do whats being asked of them, even if they're just beginning in the field, it's usually better than just asking anybody to do skillful stuff which they're really not into like you.

But otherwise, that's low/no budget indie filmmaking for ya, just try to have fun and roll with the punches ;D

ItsMeLenny

If you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

I'm unsure by your description of how many cameras you are shooting with. But if it's only one, you should be able to find somebody with some good skill to work it.

kihlbahkt

I am the producer, director, AD, DP, sound,lighting, makeup/efx, writer, actor, editor, colorist, set designer, 2d/3d animation and motion graphics guy, den mother and check writer. Highly motivated at all of those jobs but  only one of me makes it slow. It gets worse when doing location shooting, so those are gonna be reduced and most will be on set ( my garage) shooting green screen. Keep It Simple Stupid is becoming more relevant. As hard and frustrating as it is, I can only say that it is very gratifying to pursue this endeavor. Success is the only option and I will drag who ever is willing along with me, skilled or not. Thanks for your interest and support. On the bright side...doing the shoots are so much fun even when things go wrong.

600D x2

romainmenke

Hi,

First off all if you want something cheap or free don't expect it to be done good or fast, don't expect anything at all.

To overcome this problem I would suggest finding people who want to learn. Offer to teach them and train them in return for their time helping you.
Take the time to teach them and get them involved in the making of films.
One very good way to do that is to rehearse your scenes with them. Instead of focussing on the results pay attention to them.

If they don't understand the technical side they will do a bad job. If they don't understand the artistic/creative side they will get bored and do a bad job.

My experience is more with photo assistants but basically it is the same. If they have to run around for a day moving lights and stands they will not do so properly or quickly if they don't see what they are creating. If they do see it, they will go above and beyond to make some magic happen.

kihlbahkt

Thanks for the encouragement and advice romainmenke. Part of the problem is that 'my go to guy' for cam and audio got married and I never see him anymore, his wife is always taking him hiking somewhere. So instead of bitching about it I will just work on the solution, which is finding some new folks and providing training for the current group. It is a huge project and it will get done only with the cooperation of many humans and I am the one who has to assemble, teach and direct them. It is awesome and hard, and takes focus and dedication...and production is very fun even when it has its stressful periods.
600D x2

frank007

www.linkdelight.com - Affordable Photographic equipment and accessory!

kihlbahkt

600D x2

ItsMeLenny

Story from some years ago, but all still applies:

A friend of mine, who still does a lot of film stuff (now more professional, as he works his way up the ladder), he entered a film festival which lots of big production companies enter. He did all the work, director writer cinematographer editor, and this was back in the days when it was actually harder (the mid time between analogue and where we are today), so he edited on this old computer the stuff he shot on a 3CCD DV cam.
He ended up making it to the finals, unfortunately he lost out to somebody that had the money to produce something that looked like it was produced by hollywood.

Anyway, here's his result if you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AfL_g68bgM