Random frame skips on the 5d2 mark 2 in raw

Started by Boygetslost, July 07, 2014, 01:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boygetslost

Hi
Does anyone know why I get random frame skips. Sometimes I get a random dropped frame, that seems to mess with the motion and make it feel a little sped up.
Does anyone know why?

Its a 5d2 with the feb 14th version
Shot at 1880 x 1016

Thanks
Chris

jimmyD30

Probably CF card not fast enough for record settings. Which CF card are you using and at what frame rate?

reddeercity

Not possible on that Build for continuous the only Build that can keep up is the Oct 24 2013 Raw v1.0 not MLV v2.0
With a 1000x CF card That is  and  No GD enable. Your card need to maintain no less then 75 MB/s for that frame size.
not too many brands of CF cards can , I know for a fact Lexar can, as I have (2) 1000x card for my  5D2 continuous @ 23.976 1880x1058 .   

Boygetslost

its a 1000x times komputer bay card, that seems to be working well.

I know that 1880 x 1016 gives me about 3mins of record time. but now i seem to get dropped frames every now and then during the recording.

So if I switch to an earlier build will the dropped frames stop?

reddeercity

I think so, I find that this raw build is the fastest I have tested to-date even get 2048x930 23.976 continuous in crop mode.
One think that made a big difference for me was in the canon menu in photo mode select Small Raw2 and no jpeg ,
that should free up some memory for a speed increase. 
This is the build I use for just Raw v1.0 Oct 24/2013 Link --> https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/laboratory/downloads/af9a60fe144d.zip

Boygetslost

Hey
thanks for that, yes your right the build its much better!
Im still getting these dropped frames, just at random times,  jumps a frame, messing with the motion.
I am missing something?
It makes the motion jump slightly.
Have you had this before?

reddeercity

No jumping , make sure FPS Over Ride is enabled to "exact" @ 23.976 with canon menu set to 24p

Boygetslost

Thanks, thats improved it alot, though there is still a frame drop every now and then. Im filming a timer and Im still seeing it.
Are there just small frame drops on the 5d2? Just a characteristic of the ml raw on the 5d2?

jimmyD30

I wouldn't say it's characteristic, more likely something going on at your end. Have you tried not allowing dropped frames (frame skipping=off)? If you try setting it this way and recording stops, then you know for sure it's a frame skipping issue in the camera and not something going on in post production, just another ad-hoc diagnostic measure to help narrow down what's going on and where.

reddeercity

These are my setting for Raw v1.0
Set the Dial on top off camera to "M" for manual 
In Canon Menu :
Photo --> SRaw2 (Small Raw 2)
Auto Power  = Off
LCD Brightness = Manual Set "4"
Video System = NTSC
Live View/Movie Func. Set. = Stills+Movie sub menu -->Movie display Only
Movie Rec. Size = 1920x1080 24p

ML Menu:
Expose tab-->LV Display = Movie
Global Draw Tab --> GD = On
Histogram = Raw RGB, Log, dots
Waveform = small
Movie Tab = FPS Override = Enabled = Exact -->23.976
Raw Video Tab = Resolution ****x****
AR = 1.85:1 , 16:9 ,  2:1 Etc....
Preview = Auto or Hacked
Frame Skipping = OFF
Recording Frame = White rect.
Small Hacks = ON
interface = Feature

That it no other setting needed , so if you are still having problems
2 things, either the Cf card is faulty or film at a lower resolution.  ;)

Audionut

You may want to format the card before use, and use a large cluster size.

Boygetslost

thats great mate! Thankyou.

Im doing tests with your settings and the latest build and I am starting to get some better results.

I do feel the motion on the 5d2 raw video is a little different. more choppy and less fluid.
Have you found this at all?

jimmyD30

What frame rate and shutter speed are you using? Have you been adhering to the 180 degree rule?

reddeercity

@ Boygetslost  no problem with choppy as jimmyD30 said "the 180 degree rule"
Make sure your shutter is as close to 1/48th of a second as you can  or there about .
One thing thou 5D2 dose not like very fast motions like fast pans quick jerky movements etc....
Keep the motion fluid . One other thing come to mind also , are you shooting at 24p or 25p ?
Because I do remember back in the Raw v1.0 days some people had a problem with 25p and crop mode.
Can you explain or give us a sample of the problem then I can see for my self.
And how are you processing the Raw file (your Workflow) this can also product problems .
Hope this helps  :)

Boygetslost

Awesome. That has been really helpful.
I will run some proper tests on the weekend.
See how it looks.

Thanks
Chris:)

reddeercity

Glad you find my comments helpful ! can't say the same about others on the forum thou.  :D

Boygetslost

Hey
Thanks for all your help, I finally shot another short film with Magic Lantern Raw and the motion is fine and really nice.

Here is the link.
Not what, but who
http://youtu.be/jzvy142G-Kc

Also there is a behind the scenes video as well.
http://youtu.be/S_E3JseQlW0