Full-resolution silent pictures (silent.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

You just need a tweaked cable where shutter release (full press) is connected to focus input. Everyone with an soldering iron could do that.
And drop the word "2-pole 3-way switch/4 way" to your soldering artist ...

guisquil

Quote from: a1ex on March 27, 2015, 12:28:39 PM
@guisquil: if you take a regular picture, outside LiveView, but with silent pics turned off, do you get any crash?

If not, I think it must be a race condition between silent pics and Canon picture taking code, and it might also happen if you try to take a silent pic by fully pressing the shutter (instead of just half-press).

I don't get a crash when silent pics is turned off and taking regular pictures.

nielsgeode

Thanx Walter,

I think I will manage to get / make a cable.

Where can I get the proper builds for the 550D 1.0.9 and the 5D3 1.1.3?

Niels

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Browse Nightly Builds

nielsgeode

I downloaded the old v2.3, installed it on my 550D and replaced the files with the ones from •magiclantern-Nightly.2015Mar26.550D109.zip
In the menu under silent picture the "full resolution" option is missing  >:(
What am I doing wrong?

Walter Schulz

Nothing. FRSP is not included in nightlies yet.
See reply #547

nielsgeode

I see. I couldn't resist and installed the nighties from the links in reply #547. A quick test seems to show that it works pretty well on both my 550D 1.0.9 as well as my 5D3 1.2.3  :D

This is amazing. A wonderful job!

Is this page: https://mega.co.nz/#F!YVBl0ZhS!Z5-ZnbWm8EU7xBE29nNPJw
updated as bug's are fixed and new versions come out? Can I just bookmark it and regularly check for new versions? Where can I provide my feedback?

One other thing that amazes me: a normal CR2 file at 100 iso from my 550D is 19.0 MB. A DNG from the FRSP at 100 iso is 31.3 MB. Where is the difference coming from?

Thanx
Niels

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: nielsgeode on March 27, 2015, 05:06:17 PMIs this page: <removed>
Nope, no sense since so few added feedback here too, and there are plenty of issues before this will get merged.

Do feel free to give feedback regarding these issues: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/609/fullres-silent-pics/diff

dmilligan

Quote from: nielsgeode on March 27, 2015, 05:06:17 PM
One other thing that amazes me: a normal CR2 file at 100 iso from my 550D is 19.0 MB. A DNG from the FRSP at 100 iso is 31.3 MB. Where is the difference coming from?
CR2s are compressed. Silent pics are the raw data dumped straight into uncompressed DNG format (or MLV). Canon probably uses some kind of lossless compression implemented in hardware. AFAIK, we don't know how to get the Canon firmware to save some raw image buffer as a CR2 or use the hardware compression module, though it should be theoretically possible if it is reverse engineered. We could also do our own compression, but running on the general purpose ARM processor, it would be really slow (potentially several minutes to save a single, full res image).

nielsgeode

For my memory cards it is not a problem, but for harddrive space it is nice if there is some compression. Of course, this is easily solved with winrar  :D

Would also be (very) nice if the people from canon would support Magic Lantern to allow writing CR2's and many other features.

a1ex

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on March 26, 2015, 10:47:27 PM
2. When recording you get the same black screen with "Manual (M) mode required"
BUT then the led blinks orange fast and camera shuts down!

On 60D, this behaves in an interesting way: when the black screen appears, recording is paused, and it's resumed cleanly (!) after this screen goes away.

Furthermore, during that pause, a fake shutter sound gets recorded in the video :P

Cool find.

dmilligan

Quote from: a1ex on March 27, 2015, 11:52:18 PM
Furthermore, during that pause, a fake shutter sound gets recorded in the video :P
Just tried it. That is crazy!

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: a1ex on March 27, 2015, 11:52:18 PM
recording is paused, and it's resumed cleanly (!) after this screen goes away.
Normal (non raw) picture taking (non silent) during filming yields that for me.

/LE: Updated to 6e3bdba and it's working nicely, I see you raise the cycles to 10 (I keep forgetting to select a focus point before shooting, but after selecting one it AFs fine with *-hold) and you fixed the movie mode bug. Thanks

/LE2: But now I've hit another one unrelated.

a1ex

Alright folks, full-res silent pictures are now in the nightly builds!

Limitations:
- You can't do short exposures (please don't complain about overexposure).
- Minimum exposure time (when you set Canon shutter to 1/4000 or 1/8000) is actually a gradient (timing analysis here). For example, 5D3 can get 1/33.19 at the top of the frame and 1/6.30 at the bottom.
- 500D, 550D and 600D can't take exposures longer than 0.8 seconds :(
- No support for 1100D yet.
- All other cameras can take exposures up to 15 seconds.

Usage tips:
- To set aperture, you must enable Expo Override (or use a manual lens).
- ETTR works best together with intervalometer: use the "Always On" option, and close the aperture enough (or use ND filters), as much as you need to get exposure times above 0.5 seconds (otherwise the result may be impossible to deflicker with current tools).

General notes:
- Image is captured in the same way as a regular picture, but without shutter movement, and it's saved as DNG/MLV, not CR2/JPG.
- You should go to LiveView in order to open the shutter. However, during a silent capture (or during a silent timelapse), LiveView is paused.

Some things on the waiting list (research doesn't stop here) :
- luminance trigger (e.g. for lightning)
- 30-second exposures (there is a semaphore that times out at 20 seconds, can be patched)
- dark and bias frames, for astrophotography (exposures with shutter closed)
- composite long exposures (e.g. average 1-second frames), which could improve dynamic range, temporal aliasing, erase moving subjects and other crazy things like that (backend: EekoAddRawPath)
- and (unicorn at the moment): driving the sensor in rolling shutter mode, to achieve fast exposure times (as in LiveView)

Thanks to the contributors (especially dmilligan and g3gg0) and testers from this thread (especially mk11174, Greg, nikfreak and Licaon_Kter)!

escho

First short test looks fine on 600D. Exifs like aparture, focallenght, shutter-resease are not stored in dng, that´s correct?
Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

a1ex

They are saved if you use the MLV format.

Didn't notice they are not present when you save as DNG, since I don't really use this info.

goldenchild9to5

@a1ex Where do I donate?  Can you pinpoint me to the right link.  By the way great job Team Magic Lantern. 

dmilligan

SpcCb

QuoteAlright folks, full-res silent pictures are now in the nightly builds!
Pô po pôo po ! Huge ! ^.^

itsskin

Congratulations!!!! Great work!!!!

DeafEyeJedi

Any chance that we can use a * button as a back focus button on 5D3 to focus rather than taking the silent pic (halfway shutter works well) but if I had the * back button set as a focus (it still takes the silent photo as if I had pressed the shutter but didn't) I remember seeing @Licaon_Kter provide a fix copy of FRSP to being able to use * button for the M or did I read that one from another thread earlier?

Congrats on merging the FRSP into the nightlies @a1ex!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

budafilms

@a1ex

Question about ETTR with Silent Pic in this nightly build:

- I set ETTR Always ON
- The camera automatically set a value,
- I take the Silent Pic

In the top of the image said: ETTR Next ISO 800 1/15 (Was 3200 1/15)

When Live View return to the image, for a fraction of second show the Next iso, but the Always ON Mode start too fast to calculate the value. And the result is the over exposition. So, I go to the menu and turn OFF ETTR

Am I doing something wrong? Or this are the steps?

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 30, 2015, 07:54:48 AMAny chance that we can use a * button as a back focus button on 5D3 to focus rather than taking the silent pic (halfway shutter works well) but if I had the * back button set as a focus (it still takes the silent photo as if I had pressed the shutter but didn't) I remember seeing @Licaon_Kter provide a fix copy of FRSP to being able to use * button for the M or did I read that one from another thread earlier?
It's already fixed, well on my M1 is, does it work on your M1 but not on 5D3?

You mean if you press * it takes a picture
BUT if you press * AND HOLD IT it does not focus and just takes a picture?

And you have custom function set up like this with 1 or 3 selected (or equivalent for your camera), right?

And most important, you need to select a point FIRST ( touch the screen on your M1) before holding * !!! I keep forgetting this too.

/LE: looks like it's working without a point mostly anyway so your results may vary, per focus mode I guess.

DeafEyeJedi

@Licaon_Kter:

That's the exact setting I do for my photo work. Back focus button is a must. Tested on M1 and still takes the pic thinking it's "half shutter pressed" after pressing *.

Tested this on 5D3 and wow... it actually works as expected. It stays "Focusing" while holding down * which is beautifully well done --  It's mesmerizing to me! Thanks for the fix @Licaon_Kter and kudos to @a1ex & ML team for implementing this.

However, not sure what I could be doing wrong regarding the M1 on my end since it works for you, right?

5D3:
https://vimeo.com/123646026

M1:
https://vimeo.com/123646027

Another thing I noticed strange that FRSP won't work during movie mode anymore... with previous compiles in the past I used to be able to snap silent photos during recording (in case I like this particular look while filming) and it worked well for the most part. (h.264 I'm speaking of.. won't work w MLV/RAW recordings as expected which is probably the main reason why @a1ex put the restrictions on it in the nightlies? or no?) Perhaps we can ONLY still have it on during h.264 shooting?

*EDIT*

As per @Licaon_Kter's suggestion from earlier regarding M1 (hold * seamlessly after taking FRSP pic which seems to do the trick but not consistently)...

M1 (Test #2):
https://vimeo.com/123655190

Thanks for your inputs!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

a1ex

@budafilms:

Enable the intervalometer as well (this way, it won't return to LiveView).