Author Topic: Full-resolution silent pictures  (Read 388083 times)

k2121

• New to the forum
Re: Full-resolution silent pictures
« Reply #975 on: April 16, 2017, 08:26:38 PM »
When I shooting in DNG, it take some time to convert picture in camera.
MLV save frames faster.
650d.104 ML • SX1.200h CHDK

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #976 on: April 16, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »
when I shoot silent MLV with intervalometer, every picture is in individual MLV file.

Steps to reproduce?

(just tried on latest nightly, on both simple and full-res modes - each timelapse sequence is saved in a single MLV file)

k2121

• New to the forum
« Reply #977 on: April 16, 2017, 10:38:37 PM »
I copy silent.mo and adv_int.mo from nightly 30 march to sd card and problem is still.
My build is raw_video_10bit_12bit_02apr.
Maybe i'ts bug of this build.
650d.104 ML • SX1.200h CHDK

togg

• Senior
« Reply #978 on: May 12, 2017, 08:09:41 PM »
I'm surelly missing something so bear with me. When I select the experimental full res mode the half shutter press does nothing. How do I take the photo? I've tried the other buttons but no luck.

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #979 on: May 12, 2017, 09:07:36 PM »
Took a look at the code and the only code path that could result in "does nothing" would be if you start from some Canon dialog that does not go away on half-shutter (for example, the card full message) - very unlikely. Or, the trivial solution - if the silent pic option is turned off.

All other cases (incorrect shooting mode, incorrect settings, out of memory, autofocus and so on) should result in some error message (either in menu or on the screen), or at least some sort of screen activity.

That means... http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

togg

• Senior
« Reply #980 on: May 15, 2017, 06:57:26 PM »
Sorry A1ex, I was trying to solve different raw workflow things when I decided to try the silent module. I never thought it was a bug, just a stupid mistake of mine that someone else could catch fast, and it fact it is. I’m still not very familiar with the 5d3, the live view options confuse me, I was not in “photo mode”. It works perfectly.

Was this discovered recently with the 4k advancements? Or do we had this for a long time? Incredible feature for stills on set and a lot of other situations. It’s not easy to find a silent camera out there even mirrorless.

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #981 on: May 15, 2017, 08:24:53 PM »
In this case, you should get a warning message in the menu (so the behavior should be different from "does nothing").

The post dates appear to be valid. The 4K branch enables short exposures, but the regular version (at long exposures) was there since... the first post on this thread.

lureb74

• New to the forum
« Reply #982 on: May 20, 2017, 03:31:45 AM »
FRSP continuous :
You need nd filter simulation?
How does it work?

The camera take silent pictures in continuous mode, for example, Tv 0.5s, 4 frames :

0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 = 2s

We can average frames in mlv_dump.

The movement of water/cloud will be like two seconds of exposure.
The image will 1EV more DR.

4 frames -> 1EV
16 frames -> 2EV
64 frames -> 3EV

Writing speed must be shorter than the exposure time.

one vs 20 frames :

Dual ISO alternately (100/1600, 1600/100, 100/1600...) :

I've never been convinced by the dual iso (loss of detail).
I think it should be a good solution, but I'm not 100% sure about because I do not tested in the landscape.

So in theory we get a huge DR.
100/1600 on the 500D give 2.2EV more.
If you averaged 16 frames, 2EV more DR.

Dual iso + 16 frames, give 4.2EV more for 500D  :o

Tree :

Interior :

Hi Greg,
Do this work on 5D3? I can't find anything in the forum...

spe42

• New to the forum
  • 5dmiii
« Reply #983 on: May 30, 2017, 07:35:35 AM »
Sorry for the repost (was trying to find this thread earlier, but only found the 14bit silent picture thread, so I started my own thread, here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19679.msg185345#msg185345)
But this is what I was driving at:
is it possible to to separate the functionality of the liveview feature into "that which enables silent picture" and "that which must move the mirror away from the eyepiece?" eyepiece?"
Thanks.
the wrong man for thhe wrong job

dnlit

• New to the forum
« Reply #984 on: June 02, 2017, 07:52:17 PM »
Guys, I'm sorry for being obviously dumb or something like that, but I don't understand why I can't take silent pics with exposure time longer than 16s with the nightly build from builds.magiclantern.fm (700D.114) when it seems to be possible according to this thread.

The link from @josevpn doesn't work anymore, https://bitbucket.org/Gr3g01/magic-lantern-frsp-long-expo/ is gone, and the PR is declined - because of "monkey patching"??

However, I found it here, updated it with the addresses from @hillibilli
I have a 700D.114 and there the address of capture_err_time_addr is different to the value from @josepvm:

capture_err_time_addr = 0xff1e1dd8

The address of
bulb_end_addr is the same as @josepvm posted = 0x24960
Aaaand now my first 5 minute test-exposure worked very well :)
This is my compiled build: https://arxius.io/f/110e49fb

My question is: if this is possible, and working, why is it not merged? To me it is more important to have a feature that works rather than it being a "clean" solution.

Also, I think that I read somewhere (this forum and it's thread's are faar to huge IMO, to figure something out the first thing I have to do is sit down for two hours and read the forum), that somebody has found a workaround for the faster-than-~300ms-problem. If so, can somebody point me in the right direction?

And maybe we can do a list of features being implemented, but not currently in the nightly builds, and features declined? Like, things for testing, funny things nobody wants, etc.
Well, maybe there already is. Sorry for being dumb and not reading it all (the overview of all threads, and also all those 40 pages of this thread), I don't have the capacity for it IMO.

PS: Just noticed the code also still is here, it's @milank's version with support for the cams with bulb dial mode - I think?

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #985 on: June 03, 2017, 06:25:54 PM »
The approach was, indeed, a bit of a maintenance burden, as different camera models use different offsets (so it's easy to make mistakes). However, it is something that can be validated in recent QEMU (which, back then, wasn't advanced enough).

I'd also prefer to have it on top of the patch manager backend - which works pretty well, with one exception: when I take it outside, it gives ERR70. When I get back inside to track the error, it works fine.

For the above reasons, I did not decline the PR, but preferred to wait. Unfortunately, the PR was declined by the author.

Having a test suite would greatly help with reviewing such changes (for example, QEMU has a pretty good one, so I often do changes without fear of breaking things). It's a bit harder on the camera, where tests usually require user interaction (therefore time-consuming). Most of the recent QEMU progress is directed towards this; however, at the time of writing, the emulation is not yet able to pass the tests from selftest.mo or from api_test.lua.

Regarding the ~300ms problem - see http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg183286#msg183286 (and first post from that thread). Integrating the change into crop_rec is an easy coding task; making the other modules play nice with it (such as ETTR or advanced intervalometer) may be more difficult. I might take a look at it later this summer, if I'll get a second chance to play with a 700D for a week or so, but can't really promise anything.