Full-resolution silent pictures (silent.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Full res RAW video but quite low fps numbers.

dariSSight

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 17, 2014, 10:52:08 PM
Full res RAW video but quite low fps numbers.
So does this mean the 5D Mark II can do Full Res 23fps
(Let's take the 5D2 first. The main clock, from FPS override, is 24 MHz. Timer A is configured at 0x5db+1 = 1500 units. In the second part of the exposure, timer B is configured at 0xdf+1 and then at 0xedc+1. Exposure time is 1 / (MainClock / timerA / timerB), so the timers are programmed to do 1/71.42 + 1/4.20 seconds = 0.014 + 0.2378 seconds).
Canon 5D Mark II

dmilligan

Quote from: dariSSight on July 17, 2014, 10:59:56 PM
So does this mean the 5D Mark II can do Full Res 23fps
NO! Read the OP
QuoteHowever, I don't really expect more than 10 fps (in LV crop mode on 5D3, 1/3.6 of the total sensor area is sampled at 30fps). If you implement a burst mode from the current code base, you'll get up to 5 fps.

Levas

Quote from: dariSSight on July 17, 2014, 10:47:22 PM
I'm confused about this new develop in the Silent Pictures, so what does it allow for you to do higher DNG VIDEO Then the RAW or MLV?
In laymen terms what is the new development.

It means that you can  take full resolution pictures without using the shutter mechanism.
For normal photography this isn't really that interesting.
The most interesting part right now would be time lapses.
DSLR's can take about 100,000 pictures (the expensive ones more) before the shutter mechanism wears out.

Timelapse videos with a frame rate of 25 FPS take (60seconds x 25 pictures) 1500 pictures per minute.
So if you want 1 minute of time-lapse video you need 1500 pictures.

Now with this new development, you can make a time-lapse, for example, 1500 pictures, and the shutter mechanism is only used one time (by opening it for live view).
So this way we could make a lot more time-lapse before the shutter mechanism breaks down...

Walter Schulz

I would like give FRSP a try for focus stacking as well. ML's focus stacking method works with AF lenses only and I think I'm not the only one with some strange looking opto-mechanical setup for 3:1 macro and below. Kind of steam punk but as in Bauhaus "form follows function". DOF below 0.25 mm and AF totally absent.

philmoz

Tried this on my 5D3 (fw 1.2.3).

Grabbed the fullres-silent-pics branch and merged the 5D3-123 branch into it.

'Simple' mode silent pics works ok; but full res crashes with Err 70.

Crash log:

ASSERT: 0
at ./Param/HivshdParam.c:64, task ShootCapture
lv:0 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2014Jul18.5D3123
Mercurial changeset   : b1838cf8d136+e0a1e77aeb30+ (fullres-silent-pics)
Built on 2014-07-18 09:30:21 UTC by xxx.
Free Memory  : 167K + 3895K

Phil.

wyrlyn

everything works fine on 700D after several tests, though I was unable to view the full-res DNG files via ML menu (both modules activated as silent pic requires: pic_view, file_man). That's not a big problem, but hope it gets fixed.

a1ex

@philmoz: what exposure settings did you use? If one of them was auto, that would be interpreted as 0 (which is not valid). These routines were meant for factory testing, and they do behave a little different than regular pictures (they use a separate code path in scsReleaseData, codenamed FA DARK_MEM1)

@wyrlyn: do you see any error in Debug menu, on the Free Memory entry? Can you post a screenshot of EDMAC channel 0 right after taking a regular picture, without going to LiveView? (Debug -> Show EDMAC -> scroll to the right)

Can you also upload a sample DNG?

(I guess the raw image size, as declared in raw.c, might be a bit too large)

philmoz

Quote from: a1ex on July 18, 2014, 12:18:29 PM
@philmoz: what exposure settings did you use? If one of them was auto, that would be interpreted as 0 (which is not valid). These routines were meant for factory testing, and they do behave a little different than regular pictures (they use a separate code path in scsReleaseData, codenamed FA DARK_MEM1)

Thanks, was using Auto ISO - setting manual ISO fixed that problem.

Also got this crash a few times - not sure how to reproduce it; but may be from switching to full-res after taking a few silent pics in simple mode. Last time this happened the camera locked up when turning off (had to pull the battery).

Edit: reproducible on my 5D3. Take a Simple mode silent pic. Switch to Full-Res mode, get 'Raw Error' when half press shutter and Err 70 when full press shutter.

ASSERT: GetMemoryAddressOfMemoryChunk( GetFirstMemChunk( pMem1AllocateListItem->hMemSuite ) ) == pMessage->pAddress
at SrmActionMemory.c:1619, task RscMgr
lv:0 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2014Jul18.5D3123
Mercurial changeset   : b1838cf8d136+e0a1e77aeb30+ (fullres-silent-pics)
Built on 2014-07-18 09:30:21 UTC by xxx
Free Memory  : 167K + 3893K

Phil.

wyrlyn

No error in Free Memory Entry, it works fine.

EDMAC Channel 0 pic: http://s15.postimg.org/dj8y7m2az/20140718675.jpg

Viewing the picture works now with the mentioned modules enabled it just takes about 5-6 sec to get it loaded after a black screen (might be because of the large file size).

a1ex

Yeah; loading is fast (less than 1 second in my test), but processing is slow. It can be optimized (one needs to write some 14-bit unpacking code for big endian - Canon encodes as little endian, but the DNG spec requires big endian for 14-bit encoding), but not a priority for me. This endianess conversion is what's slowing things down.

If you scroll to EDMAC channel 0, you will see the complete resolution; the overview page only displays the width.

The easiest way to speedup things would be to use the MLV or RAW format (even if it's just one frame, or a burst sequence).

a1ex

Some interesting info about sensor scanning modes, with pictures: http://www.ximea.com/support/wiki/allprod/Sensor_Shutter_Modes

So, our sensors use the "Global Reset Release Mode" for stills (including these silent pics), and the rolling shutter mode for LiveView. When doing the timing analysis earlier, I've assumed the "Global Reset Release Mode" (confirmed by motion blur), so what I called "rolling shutter" is probably better called "sensor readout speed". But it's just a nitpick - the start of the exposure is global and the end of the exposure is rolling.

mk11174

Quote from: a1ex on July 18, 2014, 01:19:49 PM
If you scroll to EDMAC channel 0, you will see the complete resolution; the overview page only displays the width.
EDMAC on channel one after entering live view and taking a picture or not taking one shows only something on Size B : 4175c (5980 x 4) but it flashes back and forth with 100f8 (248 x1)
Address at top flashes with it from 1fa36ac for 248  and  1fa72b0 for 5980

Update, I guess it was because I was checking from the full_res build Cause it reads differ when I use the unified Cause when I take a picture I get a steady
9240x0
9240x0
3528x0
On EDMAC #0
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

budafilms

This is for A1ex brain, not me. Very interesting with paper below to the right.
Reading most pro companies reduce the rolling with a mechanical solution - before the software read the information.

http://www.teledynedalsa.com/imaging/products/cameras/area-scan/falcon2/

Levas

Oh boy, waiting for this to use on my 6d  :D

The exposure is fluctuating, are you not in "m" manual mode when you shoot time lapses  ???
Hope this is not a side effect of full res silent pictures.

Greg

The sun is behind the clouds. Exposure is constant (manual mode, expo override).
Maybe I should use the dual iso and script BridgeRamp.

garry23

Thanks to mk11174 I have experimented with the full frame silent on my 5DIII 123.

I tried ETTR and it appears to overexpose a little, ie saturate. I estimate about half a stop, whereas in normal mode, with the same settings, it would not.

dual ISO appears to capture an image, but of course without EXIF I can't process it.

As I say, just some feedback, with no expectations at this stage, ie early days.

Cheers

Garry

vstrglv

Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

jpaana

Tried finding the CCDWriteEDmacCompleteCBR from EOSM.202 rom, but couldn't. No problems finding it from 5D3.123 rom so I think it's just not there. Any ideas where to look next? I blindly tried the values used for other cameras, but just got error "Exposure too long".

Edit: If I just comment out the check for 15s exposures, I get somewhat correct images with RAW_PHOTO_EDMAC value used by 5D3 and 700D. A bit overexposed but quite good.

OrionnebelGalaxie17

Test night sky time-lapse on the Canon EOS 60D (18/07/2014)

OrionnebelGalaxie17

Why is it actually impossible to get less then 260 ms as exposure?

Greg

Quote from: vstrglv on July 19, 2014, 07:12:53 AM
Thanks. What are Canon settings, FPS, camera?
500D (CPL and ND8 filter), 17mm, aperture about F14, Intervalometer -> Take pics... -> like crazy (currently writing take some time, so the delay is not needed)
Silent Picture -> Full-res  ;D

barepixels

so Greg, am assuming the shutter speed is around 1/10 of a second?
5D2 + nightly ML

Greg

In Canon menu 1/10 - 1/50 (I do not remember)