ProRes 4444 XQ

Started by Midphase, June 28, 2014, 05:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyD30

Noticing some strange behavior with new codec via QuickTime.

If I try and view a QuickTime lossless file (animation) then QT converts it to ProRes 4444 (330 Mbps) for viewing, makes sense. When I view a ProRes 4444 XQ file in QT it converts it to h.264 (22 Mbps) for viewing (wouldn't think it should have to convert it to anything), makes no sense. Of course as expected, if I view a ProRes 4444 file, then QT just displays it as is.

How are we to experience/assess this new codec if QuickTime automatically converts the output to h.264 for viewing?

UPDATE: MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2 can be used to view ProRes 4444 XQ in full quality (500+ Mbps)...

Looks great!
8)

mannfilm

Could someone please explain in detail how to "hack" the final cut trial and find the prores 444 xq? I'm not seeing it.

reddeercity

Check out my post, I made a short video tutorial and explain how to get prores 4444xq working with adobe etc....
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12455.msg121203#msg121203
In fact I working on a green screen music video with that codec right now , shot it  at 1872x936 which gave me about 400 Mb/s 16bit

mannfilm

Reddeercity. I've watched your video a couple times. Nice work, but it does not seem to answer the question. In your video proes444 XQ was an option for video format. I, and others, are not offered prores 444 XQ as a adobe format option even though apple app's see it. How did you get prores 444 xq to appear in adobe?

reddeercity

It like all QT codec there need to be in the Quick Time Main Library.
To get access to the main Library, go to finder and open up the hard drive where the OSX10.9.x is .
so it drills down like this: OSX 10.9.1.3 (root)-->Library-->QuickTime--> Video Codec
If the QuickTime folder is not there Make one and copy the codec there, That it.
Note: Apple ProRes 4444 XQ requires OS X v10.8 (Mountain Lion) or later.

If you still have a problem let me know , I try and help further .

jimmyD30

@mannfilm

Quote from: jimmyD30 on July 19, 2014, 01:11:58 AM
I can confirm you can get Apple ProRes 4444 XQ codec in Compressor 4.1.2 ;D

mannfilm

Very weird

I can access prores 444 xq in the apple app's and devinic resolve. The appleprorescodec, dated june 4 2014, is in the the quicktime library. None of my adobe programs, including updated cs6 and CC version show 444XQ as an option, they only show the older propres.

Did you guys find a prores component somewhere, and copy it soemwhere?

reddeercity

Yes , as per video tutorial  extracted the codecs from FCPX or Compressor by right clicking on the application and going to show contents, then from show contents go to the plugins folder, from the plugins folder go to Compressor folder, then right clicked Compressor.bundle to show package contents, then go to plugins folder and then to ProMediaIO folder, then in the components folder copied all the .components and pasted them into my main HD--> System-->Library-->QuickTime folder
Hope that helps.

JoshuOne

Hi, I just got a hold of the new codec and I am wondering if anyone can tell me why I can only choose millions of colors and not trillions as I could with ProRes 4444 in AE? Thanks so much, and thanks reddeercity for the heads-up on how to grab the codec.

mannfilm

Reddeercity, again many thanks for your advice and video. However, in your video I see nothing about getting the plugin from FCX or compressor. Your video starts with immediately launching After Effects and the plugin is already available.  Perhaps you placed  this info somewhere later in the program? With all due respect, the FCX or compressor hack should be the first thing in the video. Regardless, thank you for this critical info.

alvanh

Hello
I folow the Compressor Hack tutorial. I've know Quicktime 4444XQ present in Media encoder, Premiere, After.
The problem I have is In Davinci Resolve 11 I can read or encode in Q 4444 XQ. The optin is not proposed in the menu. It seems that resolve use is own QT path.
Do you know how I can Hack Resolve' Quicktime?
I'ved look in the Resolve content package, but it didn't look obvious.
Any Idea?
Thank you

blainesuque

Hi i am getting the : After Effects Error: Rendering error while writing to file.  Compression format error (-1610153454)  when rendering out from AE with the Prores 4444 XQ codec. Every other codes works fine.

I did everything correct, but i am not on osx mountain lion, i am not on Yosemite 10.10.2. Is this the problem? i dont want to downgrade my system.

reddeercity

Quote from: blainesuque on March 23, 2015, 01:48:55 AM
Hi i am getting the : After Effects Error: Rendering error while writing to file.  Compression format error (-1610153454) 
when rendering out from AE with the Prores 4444 XQ codec. Every other codes works fine.
I did everything correct, but i am not on osx mountain lion, i am not on Yosemite 10.10.2. Is this the problem? i dont want to downgrade my system.
No shouldn't be a problem! , My MacPro is on Maverick 10.9.3 & my MacBookPro Mid 2010 i7 on Yosemite 10.10.2 .
Work fine for me.
Are you using Creative Cloud Version of After Effect ?
Do you have a Full Version of Apple Pro Product?
Like FCPX , Compressor 4.1.3 , Motion5 or are you trying the 30 day trial, not sure if that make a difference .
Did you get a update for Pro Codec for Apple?
Did it ever Work for you ?
So just to be Sure we are on the same page, here is a brief explanation on how I have it working on my system.
what I did was extracted the codecs from FCPX & or Compressor 4.13 , right clicking on the application and going to show contents, then from show contents went to the plugins folder, from the plug ins folder went to Compressor folder, then right clicked Compressor.bundle to show package contents, then went to plugins folder and then went ProMediaIO folder, then in the components folder copied all the .components and pasted them into my main HD > System>Library >Quicktime
If there no Quicktime folder , make one  That's It nothing else.

One last thing , How are you setting up your project in After Effect , 8bit ,16bit or 32bit float ?
I would recommend 32bit float or at least 16bit , I know the new prores 4444xq will Not work in 8bit project, you will get errors.
Can you render out in Premiere Pro  (if you have it) in ProRes 4444XQ ? As The CC version dose support Cdng native.
Also are rendering out to the same drive as the Source File? , plus check the disk cache size in A.E. it maybe too small I have a 70GB disk cache
and if you have Multiprocessing enabled check the setting there as if you have incorrect setting there that can cause problems.

blainesuque

OK.

Yes i have a Creative Cloud and my After Effects CC 2014 is constantly updated.

I dont have a full version of apple product, i went the 30 day trial route and grabbing the AppleProResCodecEmbedded.component and putting into my quicktime folder.

Did not get an update for ProCodec for Apple.....and you link me to that?

Never worked for me, just tried it for the first time 2 days ago, as i was suggested to do so by Cinelog to Log archive my ML RAW files.

I didnt copy all the components to the folder just the one specific prorescodecembedded. i will try to copy all and see if that makes a difference.

I am working 32bit float project settings.

I cant find it in Premier so havent tried exporting from there.

My disck Cache is 50gb and only have about 500mb used.

Multiprocessing is checked off.

Thanks for the suggestions, still not having any luck....I am going to review your response and try anything i havent already. Please let me know if there is anything else you can think of to help. Thanks again!

reddeercity

Ok here is a Screen Shot of my Desktop, the Left upper Window is the System Info
Shows the ProRes4444 XQ Codec Compessor (imco) & Decompressor(imdc)
Next Right Upper Show where I copied the ProRes Codec to in my  QT Library So Adobe can use or Any Program that needs QT Codec
And on the bottom Window shows where I got the file from to copy in my QT Library
Did you check for updates for the ProCodec ?
Here is download link --> https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396?locale=en_US

Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 3.35.10 PM
by RedDeerCityTV, on Flickr

And Please Stop double posting !
You will get better respond by following the Rules .
Sooner or Later some one will Answerer or help. ;)

blainesuque

sorry for double posting  ::)

Yea i have everything set-up the same as you @reddeercity

I have downloaded the link of pro video codec you linked, and still nothing.

I downloaded a copy of the Compressor 4 and still nothing.

I had Adobe on the phone as well and still nothing haha...they said they would call me back if they figure it out.

I have no clue whats going on , i feel i have tried everyones suggestion, and i am still getting the same error. Everything is updated as well. The last guess for me is because i am on Yosemite, everyone else seems to be on a different system still.

Note, in compressor i can export prores4444xq. Its just in my Adobe Apps when i choose to render out Proress4444xq i get the same error
[/url]Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 5.20.35 PM by blainesuque, on Flickr[/img]

reddeercity

No Yosemite should not be a problem , I'm Working in FCPX on my MacPro right now .
I will switch over to my MacBookPro on Yosemite  shortly in the Next few hours and post some screen shots of it working.
But I have Seen the Error before on my Old MacPro 1.1 when I was playing around with BitJass Video Codec  from sheervideo
http://www.bitjazz.com/en/products/sheervideo/
I think the problem was with the drive I/O (source & destination on the same drive) and it was CS6 not CC.

blainesuque

Interesting, ok well ill look forward to your next screen shot. Thanks again for your help!

What would you suggest from here ? should i keep trying with adobe support?

reddeercity

Ok I found the Problem you are having, Now it maybe because i haven't  updated to 10.10.2 as i'm still on 10.10.1
On my MBP  i got a Error , and its a result of the "After Effects Multiprocessing" being enabled .
I have Screen Shots to show this, and when i disable it no problem, strange this is not i problem on my MacPro
but it's still on Maverick 10.9.3 .
Right now i'm in the middle of a project or i would try Yosemite update and see if it's a problem on the my MacPro.
I think it may be problem with Apple OS X

This one is to show that I'm on Yosemite 

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 12.08.15 AM

Now Here is the Error you are having  , I turn on Multiprocessing 

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 12.25.59 AM by RedDeerCityTV, on Flickr

Multiprocessing  Turn Off

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 12.27.56 AM

Now The New ProRes4444 XQ is encoding,  A.E. is working but a little slower without Multiprocessing

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 12.30.38 AM by RedDeerCityTV, on Flickr

One thought came to mind about this is Maybe 8GB is not even to use with Multiprocessing
As i have 16GB in my MacPro  not sure.
Anyway there you go , hope this helps !

blainesuque

So by default my multiprocessing is turned off on both my MBP and my MAC pro. I tried them both with Multiprocessing turned on and also turned off. Still got the same error (note it did take a second to render then the error came. Unlike before the error came up right when i clicked render).

My Mac book pro has 16gb RAM

MY MAc PRo has 16gb RAM

Here are a couple of screen shots, but idk if it will help. I think it is a problem with either OSX or Creative Cloud.

MAC book PRO

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 7.46.06 PM by blainesuque, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 7.33.54 PM by blainesuque, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 7.33.38 PM by blainesuque, on Flickr

And from my MAC PRO

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 7.46.15 PM by blainesuque, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 7.23.16 PM by blainesuque, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 5.20.35 PM by blainesuque, on Flickr

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!

I HOPE WE CAN TACKLE THIS SOON AND GET IT WORKING~ :D

reddeercity

@blainesuque I notice you trying to encode prores4444XQ without Alpha
Try it with Alpha (Channels-RGBA not RGB) and choice Millions+(plus) color
And on your iMac Choose to use All your Ram  don't reserve anything for other App.
With 16GB ram you should be able to use up to 13GB if to choose to use Multiprocessing
And for the "Ram allocation per CPU" choose the lowest number which should be 1GB .
Not sure if you Know about the little Trick to Encode Faster, in A.E.
Press the Cap Lock key on your keyboard and that disables the preview Window so it's not playing as you encode.

Forgot to ask , Are you using "After Effects CC" or is it "After Effect CC 2014" there is a differents
I have nothing but problems with "After Effect CC 2014" I only use CC version.
Give that a try, also try reinstalling A.E. if nothing else works.

Edit: There one other thing you can try , Before you encode open up a "Terminal Window"
At the prompt type (sudo purge) with out the brackets  , and the OSX will ask for your password
enter it . That should unload any temp file in ram and use of all the 16GB or at least 13GB in A.E.

blainesuque

Ok so nothing worked. And then reverted back to after effects CC and it worked! finally haha!

I guess it was just CC 2014 problem. Thanks!

reddeercity

Glad you Got things Working Now!
I had Adobe on the Phone about the Problems With A.E. CC 2014
But they Claim there Nothing Wrong !  ::)
If that's the Case You got to Wonder Why Adobe Has  two(2) Version of the Same Software ??

blainesuque

Yea definitely, for now i reverted back to CC for premier and AE, and left the others updated as i havent experienced any problems with them....yet.

Thanks again for your help, im gonna aslo get ADOBE on the phone to see if these will problems will be resolved in CC2014 anytime soon.

martin_a

I have the same problems with AE CC 2014...

I'm reinstalling the previous version of After Effects... Is it possible to work on PP CC 2014 with some 4444 XQ files ?

Thanks !
5D Mark III
16-35 f/2.8L II USM
24-70 f/2.8L II USM