ETTR & dual iso + deflicker xmp

Started by ansius, June 24, 2014, 12:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ansius

Sorry, if I have missed this somewhere, but I could not find it.

So I have been shooting time lapses with ettr and dual iso, even tough deflicker module generates xmp files, it is rather cumbersome to make adobe utilize them with the generated DNG files, so I was wondering, because adobe saves the ACR settings inside of the DNG file, would it be possible that cr2hdr would have an option for reading the corresponding XMP file and baking that info in the generated DNG file? It could be an option, preferably accessible by BaracudaGUI, so we PC / Windows people would have much simplified workflow when combining those three neat features.

Of course you can also deflicker in post, but that is very time consuming, especially with the file sizes of 7D's 18mp images and when you have couple of hundreds of shoots. The Bridge deflickering script works, but it is really slow and needs many iterations till it's perfect, having the DNG's pre-backed would save much time.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

a1ex

The easiest way would be to integrate Post Deflicker code into cr2hdr. The deflickering algorithm is nothing more than reading the median exposure (or some other percentile) from the histogram, and forcing it to some constant value, so having to parse sidecars will complicate both the workflow and the implementation.

It's a good proposal for easy coding tasks, though it may take a little more than 10 lines of code (but this code doesn't have to be written from scratch, just ported from ML into cr2hdr). There is even a placeholder for this in cr2hdr's command line options list.

If anyone wants to give it a try, and has specific questions about how this code is organized, feel free to ask.