600D/T3i Raw Video Pink Frames Issue

Started by cam0110, May 10, 2014, 11:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cam0110

So for all you t3i magic lantern/tragic lantern users I have a problem with raw video and I am getting pink footage each time.
I am using a sandisk extreme pro 95Mb/s card. Yes i know that the max write speed is only 21mb/s for the t3i. My Raw footage is pink, each frame has +55 magenta/pink tone to it when i load it on and process it. Im guessing that is because the buffer is filled up or the camera cant write the information fast enough. I have tried relsolutions of 960x544 and lower resolutions. I have tried global draw on and off. I have also tried an fps override down to 16fps. which the write speed is only 16mb/s at this point. I have also set the Pic quality from Raw to SRAW to see if that would help but it hasnt. I am not sure what else to try and cant figure out why I am getting pink frames for my raw footage everytime.
I have read many of the posts about this and still haven't come up with a solution.

Anyone know what I could do to fix this? and get normal 960x544 raw video on my t3i?

cam0110

I actually figured out the problem. After trying pretty much every combination of settings and builds. The problem was the ML raw2dng program. I downloaded the RAWMagic 1.0 beta 4 by rarevision program to convert my raw files to dng and the pink frame problem went away.

kihlbahkt

Good to know cam0110. Thanks for posting your issue and solution.
600D x2

a1ex

?!?!

I'm not aware of any problem in raw2dng that could cause pink frames...

dmilligan

It's probably not raw2dng itself per say that is causing the pink frames, but rather whatever software the OP is using to open the converted DNGs. Perhaps something like WL, BL, bit depth, or some other metadata is causing the issue with whatever post software, and the 3rd party converter creates DNGs that fixes whatever particular issue.

Some video editors may not read 14bit data correctly, and can only use 12 or 16bit data, and the 3rd party converter is making this conversion. Or perhaps some editors assume a specific WL instead of auto-detecting it or getting it from metadata, and the 3rd party converter is adjusting the WL or metadata so that the editor reads it correctly.

@OP, what software are you using to import the DNGs? Could you post a DNG generated by raw2dng, and one generated by the 3rd party tool (for the same frame) for comparison?

Toni Dove

Hi -
I've been following the forum closely but haven't been posting. Here goes!
I have a problem I could use help with. I'm shooting with Magic lantern Raw (not MLV) on the 5d111. Using the Nov 25 build. I just completed one day of a music video shoot and all the files are coming through Raw Magic as DNGs with only the magenta info. During the shoot we checked files in File Manager and they were playing back in full color so the info must be there. I've been using Magic Lantern for awhile and this has never happened. The first part of the shoot was fine except for one corrupted file that ran off the end of the card. The only thing I can think that changed was going from the canon batteries to a battery pack - which doesn't seem like it would be an issue? I know people have posted some code fixes for magenta files - I'm not a programmer but would be game to try something if there are some instructions. I would also be happy to pay someone for their time to troubleshoot this. We got some amazing footage with this great tool and I'm in suspense to see if I can recover it.
Thanks so much for looking at this!
Toni

NickZee

I have had the pink frame issue too.

@dmilligan
Quotewhat software are you using to import the DNGs? Could you post a DNG generated by raw2dng, and one generated by the 3rd party tool (for the same frame) for comparison?

Two consecutive files, 403 and 404, are here:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/96c8akdn762gxsb/AAAe5VS80H6R9qBB_-KE6Stba?dl=0 

One is normal and one is pink, and shifted.  The moon goes from the far left side to the right side.  Each pink frames appears to be in the same position, around the right 2/3.  The overall RAW file size was 7.5 GB.  A Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95MB/s was used at 960x408 resolution.  Length of video is around 8m:17s.

Converted with raw2dng and opened in Bridge as well as Davinci  Resolve Lite.  I also added a screen shot of bridge so you can see how scattered the pink ones are.

I have not tired the RAWMagic method yet.

Thank you
Architectural Photography
NickZimmerman.com
5D MK3 & 600D | 24-70mm USMII L 2.8 | Nikon 14-24mm 2.8 | Nikon Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AIS & 50mm 1.4 AIS ** Windows 8.1 Pro | 32GB Ram | i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz

dmilligan

Quote from: NickZee on October 10, 2014, 07:59:13 PM
I have had the pink frame issue too.
Looks like a completely different problem from the OP. I have no idea what is wrong with yours, looks like a problem with ML/camera, as it is different from frame to frame, and it's the raw data itself that is wrong, not just metadata. It's shifted somehow and color is wrong because of the shift (green pixels being interpreted as red or blue and vice versa), but because your background is just black, it's impossible to see what's going on with the shift. The OP's issue was that all frames looked wrong and they looked different depending on the converter used, it was probably a just metadata problem.

hansroll

Greetings , my module magic lantern , do not get the pic quality Might help me? or send an installation setting to work on raw .. thanks and greetings from Venezuela.

walter_schulz

If you have troubles to explain your problem in English: Use your native language. I'm not able to understand what you're looking for.