MLV - Wrong black level - Pink/Magenta/Green casts in raw videos

Started by Audionut, April 29, 2014, 11:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

Yes, nothing wrong except the white balance metadata, all you need to do is adjust the white balance. Not sure how it got this way. Perhaps you should use mlv_dump or one of the other converters.

stagsy

Can't be the converter at fault as it's green when viewed in the back of the camera.

dmilligan

stagsy

The strange thing now is it alternates between green and normal when viewing on camera.
Initially it was green, then when viewed again, it looked ok - which was good but perplexing.
Then on reboot it went back to green etc.

What's happening?

dmilligan

stagsy

dmilligan

There are R,G,B white balance multipliers in the ML white balance menu, please check the value of these. Also, please try a different converter like mlv_dump, mlrawviewer, or mlvfs.

stagsy

myneo

i have done  the same thing that i switched on the Fix black level by mistake  and my footage is pink.................. plz help me........
5dmark ii and MLV Format

dmilligan

So have you followed the instructions in the first post of this thread to fix it?

iheartbmx

Hoping someone can help me out as I'm already in a pinch for time! I have figured out every issue over the years but this one is going nowhere fast..

I believe this is a black level issue (vertical banding is present too, I really messed up!)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s7kscab0hlpw9hy/AAA69qiRAQiy5ci7ETVbVzWWa?dl=0

No matter what I do Exiftool always states:
0 image files updated
1 image files unchanged

Any help would be great, thankyou kindly!

Audionut

There was/is a problem with some of the convertors.

Run the DNG/s through Adobe DNG Converter and you should be fine with exiftool.

iheartbmx

Quote from: Audionut on January 15, 2015, 02:52:12 AM
There was/is a problem with some of the convertors.

Run the DNG/s through Adobe DNG Converter and you should be fine with exiftool.

Thanks

I ran some files through exiftool and it changed the black level to 2048, but im still getting identical results.

Danne

By looking at the picture you have a very contrasty area with blown highlights. DOn,t think it has anything to do with black level. What did you use to convert? Could you provide an original file?

iheartbmx

Quote from: Audionut on January 15, 2015, 05:55:36 AM
What exactly is the problem?

I apologize for total lack of information I gave last night. I will upload more examples tonight. The original .DNG looks fine but once opened in Resolve 11 the issue appears (photoshop as well if highlights are completely brought down to accentuate the effect). The highlights are not rolling off whatsoever and instead an edge is appearing. I encourage someone to try opening this in Resolve to see what I am trying to explain. Thanks again!

magiclantern-Nightly.2014Oct07.5D3113 (black level fix off)
OSX Mavericks
MLVFS (no fixes applied, because I'm an idiot?)

Ran though exiftool to fix black level to 2048 and results are the same.

Audionut

That's not an black level issue.  You've overexposed the headlights. 

On the left headlight (as you look at image), it's not so bad because the headlight is well defined.  On the right headlight, the surrounding mist is also overexposed.
My suggestion would be to not try and recover any highlights, because some of the mist can be recovered well, but there is an hard boundary in the mist that is completely overexposed and cannot be recovered.

DylanWhiteCinema

Ive been looking for a solution for a few days now, but can't seem to find it. I usually find all the answers I need through other peoples issues but this time I finally decided to make an account to ask for some help. I'm not new to magic lantern, but I have been away from using it for about 6 months now, and I,m finally getting around to trying some raw footage.

I believe I have all the settings correct but when I go to convert the mlv to dngs using RAWmagic all of my DNGs look like I was using an ND Filter made of pink cotton candy! haha I've tried shooting with fix black level OFF and ON and
I get the same results. I've also tried all the blck level settings in RAWmagic when I convert too, same thing, same exact outcome. The build I'm using is the magiclantern-Nightly.2015Mar16.

I've noticed there hasn't been a post since January, and theres been several builds since, anyone have update on this issue? Thought I'd post in here instead of making a new thread. This would be greatly appreciated!  :D

Walter Schulz

RAWmagic is banned here. You may contact RareVision. Or use other converters -> Postprocessing forum
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13335.0

dmilligan

Have you read the first post of this thread and tried following those instructions?

Are you actually viewing the DNGs with a proper program (like Photoshop, Premiere, DaVinci Resolve)? or do they just appear pink the Finder preview (Mac Finder is bad at previewing DNGs and there are known issues)?

DylanWhiteCinema

oh wow, I was unaware of that with that application. I originally tried to use Raw2Dng but when I dropped in my MLV files, I kept getting the following error:

usage: dirname path
Error: could not open /Users/dylanwhite/Desktop/raw
ls: *.dng: No such file or directory
Nothing converted

I followed the first post and as this was a way to fix my current footage, I doesn't really help. I'm looking for the way to prevent it from happening in the first place.

dmilligan

Quote from: DylanWhiteCinema on March 18, 2015, 04:04:21 PM
I'm looking for the way to prevent it from happening in the first place.
Perhaps you should read the first sentence of the first post of this thread again. The only way to prevent it from happening in the first place is to fix the bug in Magic Lantern that is causing the issue. There is a proposed fix to this bug here and forum thread here. It has not been merged yet due to lack of testing/feedback.

DylanWhiteCinema

Yeah I was going through those pages, I have no idea how to compile ML at the moment, so I'm not sure I would be benefit to the testing process. I wasn't sure if there has been a better way since the thread opened, because the playback in my camera was fine, it only occurred once converted. I'll have to do more research why raw2dmg isn't accepting my files too. Thanks for quick responses!

daw1d

Hello, I have some RAW shots from EOS 5D III (fw 123) with ML Nightly.2014.Aug.07. One shot is long (it is split to RAW and R00 files). I tried to export the RAWs to DNGs using "raw2cdng 1.7.0", "MlRawViewer 1.3.3", "MLVMystic.exe" and "raw2dng.exe" and all four short shots are ok but the long one has black level error or dont even export. I tried to fix it with this procedures but nothing helps:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11664.0
https://vimeo.com/97477678

Raw2cdng 1.7.0 and MlRawViewer 1.3.3 gives me black and green screen after export. Raw2dng.exe and MLVMystic.exe cant open the files and crashes. Please can someone help me with this? What can I do to save the footage?

Here is one DNG from MlRawViewer
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33503671/M28-1902_000000.dng

Thanks

chmee

@daw1d
please download mlvdiag and analyze the structure from the short and the long one - i suspect, some metadata (a datachunk) havent been written.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]