Best way to resize ML RAW video from 1880x1058 to Full HD?

Started by Lokki-pete, April 23, 2014, 01:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lokki-pete

Serious noob alert!

I am just learning ML raw video, and also just installed DaVinci Resolve lite. I edit with Final Cut Pro X. I´m still figuring out my raw workflow, but I think I will end up with something as simple as possible. Let´s assume I will do the color correction in Resolve, then go to FCP.

I am not sure at what stage and with what program I should upscale the footage to Full HD for best results?

Thanks!

dubzeebass

reddeercity

Let Final Cut Pro X do the scaling, make a ProRes4444 in A.E. with ACR plugin in a 32bit float project.
You don't need use resolve at all ,you will get a better result with ACR anyways & a simpler workflow
This is my workflow for my paid work, I edit & grade in FCPX & VFX in Autodesk Smoke for Mac .
All on the same ProRes4444 12bit Mov file. ;)

Lokki-pete

Thanks!

Dubzeebass, do you think resolve is as good as any other program for upscaling? I am worried about losing some of the gained quality boost when upscaling (compared to h264 that doesn´t need any scaling).

Reddeercity, unfortunately I don´t have A.E. (I assume that is After effects?). How exactly are the results better with ACR plugin compared to RAWMagic and Resolve route?

Midphase

Quote from: Lokki-pete on April 23, 2014, 11:08:41 PM
Thanks!

Dubzeebass, do you think resolve is as good as any other program for upscaling? I am worried about losing some of the gained quality boost when upscaling (compared to h264 that doesn´t need any scaling).

Resolve is fine. For such a small amount of upscaling there is really no need to worry about losing detail or the image getting soft. Resolve is also A LOT faster than AE. Resolve is so good and getting better with the new upcoming version, that I am seriously considering switching to it as my main professional NLE.

poromaa

I just tried latest 12.2 version av AE and they have something called detail-preserving upscale. I can pixel peep and see a small advantage (more sharpness) DPU compared to AE bilinear scaling. Anyway - as Midphase say scaling just 103.7% does not make footage soft.
I will try more - maybe one can get away with more scaling if using this new scaler. It is also fast - I could play footage in 10fps on my mac bookair after scaling. Overall new AE is alot faster than 12.0.
/J