FFMPEG now officially supports Magic Lantern Video

Started by g3gg0, April 22, 2014, 01:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

two days ago a patch was committed to ffmpeg official source code database that
adds support for our Magic Lantern Video (MLV) format produced by mlv_rec.

how it came to this?
the FFMPEG team applied for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) for raw bayer support in their libraries.
i talked to peter and suggested him to look at our video format as some open source raw video format that is free of any royalities.
so they could continue to improve their raw support with already existing footage in this simple video file format.

peter then started to implement the format reader within only a few days :)
the nightly build of ffmpeg already can play .mlv videos using ffplay, just the coloring isnt finished yet.

the commit is here

a big thank you to Peter Ross and Michael Niedermayer for making this happen :)

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

chmee

what great news!!! OMG! so, in the next time all fmpeg-based-players (fi vlc..) will play MLV - this is so freaky. converting will be easy as well. omg omg omg.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

painya

Quote from: chmee on April 22, 2014, 01:41:16 AM
what great news!!! OMG! so, in the next time all fmpeg-based-players (fi vlc..) will play MLV - this is so freaky. converting will be easy as well. omg omg omg.
Sorry I'm not as technically advanced as all y'all. What does this mean for converting? A better and faster debayer program? Thanks.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

dmilligan

very awesome!  :D

Quote from: painya on April 22, 2014, 02:05:04 AM
Sorry I'm not as technically advanced as all y'all. What does this mean for converting? A better and faster debayer program? Thanks.

It means that a library that is widely used by a number of programs that do video will have native support for MLV. Which means any of the programs that use that library will defacto have support for MLV. Which means that you will be able to playback MLV files with any of these already existing programs. Almost all open source video applications use this library (called ffmpeg).

It doesn't really say anything about speed or performance (it could be better or could be worse, that's not the point), it just means that there will be widespread, generic support for the MLV file format amongst open source software applications.

ItsMeLenny

What algorithm does it use to debayer? Or would that be then left up to the program using ffmpeg to debayer it?

Also, does this work with the .raw format?

painya

Quote from: dmilligan on April 22, 2014, 03:19:10 AM
very awesome!  :D

It means that a library that is widely used by a number of programs that do video will have native support for MLV. Which means any of the programs that use that library will defacto have support for MLV. Which means that you will be able to playback MLV files with any of these already existing programs. Almost all open source video applications use this library (called ffmpeg).

It doesn't really say anything about speed or performance (it could be better or could be worse, that's not the point), it just means that there will be widespread, generic support for the MLV file format amongst open source software applications.
That's great news! Will this possibly lead to MLV being supported by adobe down the road? Or would this development not pressure Adobe enough to do that due to the ties between canon and adobe?
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

baldand

That's really great news. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.

I tried a static nightly build of ffmpeg on Linux (http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/builds/ffmpeg-git-20140421-64bit-static.tar.bz2) but it didn't quite work for me in conversion mode.

./ffmpeg -i M12-1630.MLV test.mp4
(all metadata shown correctly)
    Stream #0:0: Video: rawvideo (BIT[16] / 0x10544942), bayer_rggb16le, 1728x972, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
[swscaler @ 0x40470c0] unsupported bayer conversion
Assertion 0 failed at libswscale/swscale_unscaled.c:1655
Aborted (core dumped)

tin2tin

@g3gg0 - I'm so happy for you, that your efforts with the MLV format now are paying off. This will be the major push of MLV into all opensource editors and converters out there. Congrats!!!

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: baldand on April 22, 2014, 06:56:26 AM
That's really great news. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.

I tried a static nightly build of ffmpeg on Linux (http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/builds/ffmpeg-git-20140421-64bit-static.tar.bz2) but it didn't quite work for me in conversion mode.

Stream #0:0: Video: rawvideo (BIT[16] / 0x10544942), bayer_rggb16le, 1728x972, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
Aborted (core dumped)

I got the same with some .MLV files, but not with other .MLV files

tonybeccar

WOW!!!!! I want to scream!! No, I already did!!!  ;D

nachordez

EOS 600D  /  OpenSuse 13.1

g3gg0

if you have some misbehavior, please upload the .mlv somewhere and help the ffmpeg guys fixing that. :)
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

Jakobmen

Canon 5D3

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

premini

Can i now convert MLV to Prores 4444 in a less painfull way and IN Windows? This is CRAYZEEEE

g3gg0

Quote from: premini on April 22, 2014, 06:43:22 PM
Can i now convert MLV to Prores 4444 in a less painfull way and IN Windows? This is CRAYZEEEE
no, not yet. but ffmpeg is developing towards a raw-video compatible library.
if it will end in some ready-to-publish raw converter, of if it will get a simple and effective converter for proxy files,
or just a good footage viewer - time will show.

yet this is a good sign and we all hope it will result in helpful tools :)

budafilms

tin2tin

Quote from: baldand on April 22, 2014, 06:56:26 AM

Aborted (core dumped)

I'm getting the same error/behaviour with this file on Windows with ffmpeg 32-bit(static 21/4 & 23/4): http://we.tl/k21F8TAVEc

Great to see ffplay actually playing the mlv tough the colors are off and dead-pixels are visible.  :)

meditant

Fantastic the MLV RAW video format begin to be implemented on many tools, it's just the beginning...

Very good work !

jose_ugs

Damn! Been away for a few days and now this one! Hell of a "Welcome back"! You guys rock, recognition right there!!!

rainless

The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

pilgrim

Big and happy news  :) :) :)
Lightworks (one of the very good editing program and free, and use by many Hollywood movies like Mission Impossible 4, King's Speech, etc) use ffmpeg also, which make them possible to edit many format directly without necessary MPEG Intra. I try to edit directly H264 from the camera or ProRes nicely.
So maybe soon we will edit MLV file on timeline. Of course, the hardware will be very demanding but with the mode OFFLINE first editing and switch to ONLINE on final editing that will be sweet.
A big leap  :) :) :)