Some sort of FPS lag with my 6D - video in description.

Started by niklassundin, April 21, 2014, 10:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niklassundin

Hi guys!

I've been shooting with magic lantern for a while now, but not with the raw-video function. I've tried to do some tests with it but it all ends up looking like shit.

There is some sort of lag in the video that makes it look awful. I shoot at 23,976 at a resolution of 1664x708, I import it to after effects as 23,976 and i render it out in 23,976 but still it looks like i'm shooting at 15fps.

Here's a video showing my problem :

You have any idea what i'm doing wrong?

KelvinK

This is 24p, it looks so bad because of your shaky hands. but very high detailed raw frames. Try to pan with fluid head and you'll see the diffrence.

ps: just in case enable fps override option to 24 exact fps.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

niklassundin

Quote from: KelvinK on April 22, 2014, 12:48:28 PM
This is 24p, it looks so bad because of your shaky hands. but very high detailed raw frames. Try to pan with fluid head and you'll see the diffrence.

ps: just in case enable fps override option to 24 exact fps.

I will try the override option. But as you say, i know it get kind of shaky without the steadicam, but it looks alot worse than when im walking with h264 and also from the times i've just been walking with a epic, and that camera has alot of detailed raw frames. Do you think it just comes from shaky hands?

SpenserGT

I have the same exact issue with my 5Dmk3!

Can't figure out what the problem is, because I've had this issue with both the v1.1.3 firmware and v1.2.3 firmware versions of magic lantern.

Did the frame-rate override solve this issue?

I have the KomputerBay 64gb 1000x CF card as well, and I'm starting to think that it may be the culprit. I've done the 5min benchmark test and the numbers start around 90mbs and end around the 20mbs.

Post Workflow:
> RawMagic
> Open in AfterEffects with CameraRaw into 23.976 fps
> export Pro-Res 4444 at 23.976
= footage comes out sped up.

dmilligan

Quote from: SpenserGT on April 24, 2014, 08:29:37 PM
Post Workflow:
> RawMagic
> Open in AfterEffects with CameraRaw into 23.976 fps
> export Pro-Res 4444 at 23.976
= footage comes out sped up.
That's something totally different. You need to "conform" your footage to 23.976 in AE. If AE doesn't know what the FPS is (how would it know when you're just giving it a folder full of dngs?) it assumes 30 FPS

dmilligan

Quote from: niklassundin on April 23, 2014, 03:09:52 PM
I will try the override option. But as you say, i know it get kind of shaky without the steadicam, but it looks alot worse than when im walking with h264 and also from the times i've just been walking with a epic, and that camera has alot of detailed raw frames. Do you think it just comes from shaky hands?

If you really think it's the camera, then you should test your theory, and it should be very easy and straightforward. Just film something with a constant motion with something for reference in the background. For example: a ball rolling in front of a ruler. Then inspect each DNG, does the ball move the same amount in each frame?

If you find duplicated frames and/or jerkiness/jitter of the ball, then you have a real bug to report, and you should post the resulting image sequence along with all other applicable data (ML version, card, settings used, etc.). Otherwise, you just need to get a tripod.

H.264 has a tendency to smear things (even temporally), so that's why the motion may appear smoother with H.264: the encoder was actually smearing out some of the motion that was really there due to your shaky hands (I suspect that this is the real culprit).

rainless

Quote from: dmilligan on April 24, 2014, 09:48:05 PM
That's something totally different. You need to "conform" your footage to 23.976 in AE. If AE doesn't know what the FPS is (how would it know when you're just giving it a folder full of dngs?) it assumes 30 FPS

He just said he did that. That whole thing where he said he opened it as 23.976.

The only way he could've done that is by interpreting the footage and typing in "23.976"
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

dmilligan

Quote from: rainless on April 25, 2014, 12:51:20 AM
He just said he did that. That whole thing where he said he opened it as 23.976.

The only way he could've done that is by interpreting the footage and typing in "23.976"
Different guy, read it again carefully.

SpenserGT

Yeah, my bad.
My footage was imported into After Effects at 30fps for some reason.