Is it safe to regularly enable/disable bootflag Especially for 5D Mark III/1.2.3

Started by digit4l-muso, April 18, 2014, 02:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digit4l-muso

Hi all,

Long time ML user, first time poster. Thanks for all the hardwork everyone is putting in, in preparing the 5DIII 1.2.3 build as well as answering all the questions here. I have scoured the forum and unable to find a definitive answer.

Especially that now the ML for 5D mark III support uninstallation (removing the boot flag), I'd like to know how many times one can turn the bootflag on/off without damaging the camera. Does the camera memory which store the boot flag can handle "frequent" writes?

The typical use case for me would be to default to the stock firmware (so I can use my Eye-fi), and would turn Magic Lantern on once every couple of weeks for doing video or intervalometer work.

Thanks

dmilligan

I wouldn't worry about it. It's likely the same type of nvram that's used to keep all your Canon settings so it's getting hit up a bunch no problem anyway.

dcac

I've been doing it for the same reason as you would like, I use my eye-fi card to show pictures on tablets or phones. I've done numerous enabling and disabling of the bootflag since the 1.2.3 ML release and so far so good. No problems whatsoever.  :)

digit4l-muso

Thanks guys.
If there's anyone who have seen the code that writes the bootflag, please also chime in

dmilligan

call("EnableBootDisk");

Now you've seen it too. See the thing is, ML is a hack that runs on top of Canon code we've never seen, the only things we know about it are from reverse engineering it. In a sense no one except for Canon has seen the actual code that enables the bootflag. We just found a function stub called EnableBootDisk and figured out what it did.