Blood Moon Over Texas - 5D2 Raw video at 1FPS

Started by ted ramasola, April 17, 2014, 07:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

For those who missed the blood moon eclipse, here's a "summarized" version of the entire event. It was so cold but it was worth it. Forgive the dead pixels in my sensor.
Had to do a "mcgyver" to my cam, sticking a 80-200mm nikon lens on a nikon mount 2x converter onto a canon mount 2x converter onto my old canon camera. This was from around 2AM to 4AM.

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

rainless

To the best of my knowledge that's not a "dead" pixel... it's a "hot" pixel...

The difference being hot pixels can be fixed... and dead pixels can't. (If the pixel is a color... then it isn't dead.)

Have you tried this?

http://shmuliphoto.wordpress.com/2009/12/03/fix-hot-pixel-canon/
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

ted ramasola

Quote from: rainless on April 17, 2014, 09:41:51 PM
To the best of my knowledge that's not a "dead" pixel... it's a "hot" pixel...

The difference being hot pixels can be fixed... and dead pixels can't. (If the pixel is a color... then it isn't dead.)

Have you tried this?

http://shmuliphoto.wordpress.com/2009/12/03/fix-hot-pixel-canon/

Thanks rainless, might try that.

Those "pixels" behaved differently depending on the app. In resolve they were all white dots, a lot of them, I tried to process them in ACR which I knew has a different method of handling raw files and it made them all black or very dark. Since the background was mostly black anyway, I ended up using ACR via AE for this piece.

I'll see if by doing the process in the link you provided I can fix the misbehaving pixels.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

rainless

The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

ted ramasola

Quote from: rainless on April 19, 2014, 12:04:27 AM
It fixed mine... Let me know how it goes.  ;)

I tried it and the dots are still there. They are not noticable in 24fps or 23.976 at 160 iso. Only at very low fps when I do "timelapse" like recording say 1fPS at 800iso for instance.
Lots of multicolored bright dots. If you only tried it at 24, try it at that fps, it might also be present in yours.
After the procedure of 60 seconds according to the link you sent I recorded again and placed the files over the old one in after effects and they are still on the same places.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

rainless

Well I would imagine a long exposure would be much MUCH longer than 1fps... I think it took a couple of tries to get rid of my hot pixels, so you might want to read through that thread and see what people had to do for your camera specifically.

I couldn't even see the hot pixels at all until I tried doing a really long exposure.

Then I did the fix... maybe 2 or three times... and they were gone.

So if it didn't work the first time around I'd just check the thread and find a 5d mkii solution.