PLEASE HELP!!! 5D Mark III Raw

Started by rayromanfilms, April 15, 2014, 07:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayromanfilms

I feel kinda stupid right now, but I've been trying for a week (not everyday) to try and figure out how to get Magic Lantern loaded on my Canon 5D Mark III. I'm on a Mac as I don't own a PC. I've watched so many tutorials and I understand what's being said and follow every step. The problem is every time I try and download the latest build, there is no firmware visible. There's an executable file, the ML folder and a .pdf guide. I've racked my brain with this and I just can't believe something that seems so easy can be this difficult. I would appreciate any help. My 5D is running Canon firmware 1.1.3

Thank you!

-Ray

Walter Schulz

PDF? Please post a link to the file you're talking about (download location) or at least give the filename in detail.

rayromanfilms

Thank you for responding Walter. I am following this link and downloading the latest build for 5D 113

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

Audionut

The ML installer firmware, only comes with the 5D3.123-bleeding-edge version.

Quote from: a1ex on March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Installation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.2.3.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

Walter Schulz

There is no PDF found in the zip ...

rayromanfilms

Will this new version have the RAW capabilities for 5D Mark III?

rayromanfilms

Also, do I need to make the SD card bootable? Will the Magic Lantern firmware stay active in the camera after I shut the camera off and eject the SD card or do I have to update firmware each time? Thanks a lot!

LEVISDAVIS

With the 1.2.3 bleeding edge firmware you have the option to install Magic Lantern on the CF card or the SD card. With the proper 1.2.3 firmware and the proper 1.2.3. bleeding edge ML files (including the .FIR files, autoexec.bin, and ML folder) the camera will automatically create the bootflag. A bootflag is what allows you to turn the camera on and off without having to re-install Magic Lantern. In other words, you don't have to use EOSCard any longer to instal Magic Lantern or to use another means of creating a bootable SD card with your Mac. Simply have the right firmware installed on the camera 1.2.3 (place Canon 1.2.3 firmware onto SD or Compact Flash card and run your firmware update). Then, follow the same update firmware technique to install Magic Lantern 1.2.3 bleeding edge. Your card will be ready to capture footage and even be formatted in camera without having to create a new bootflag on your card.
Levi S. Davis

rayromanfilms

Thanks a lot Levis!

I was able to install ML successfully onto the camera. Quick question. I used an SD card to load the ML firmware, but after turning off the camera and ejecting the SD card, ML no longer functioned on the camera. As soon as I re-insterted the SD card, ML worked again and I could bring up the ML menu. Do I have to keep the SD card in camera to enjoy the ML features or am I doing something wrong? Also, I noticed like 3 raw video options in the ML menu. Which one do I activate?

Thanks again!

-Ray

Walter Schulz

You need 3 things to run ML:
- Camera with bootflag set. Has to be done once and you already did this
- Bootable card. With the new installer you have just to copy ML files and directory to card, startup and run firmware update. Each card you want to run ML from has to be enabled that way. If you format the card outside your cam you have to redo this step because card's boot option will be deleted.
- ML directory and files on card. Actually ML is loaded from card at startup.

rayromanfilms

Thanks a million Walter! I got it all figured out with the help here.

-Ray