Overlapping File names .raw 5d3

Started by anandkamal, April 15, 2014, 06:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anandkamal

hi, i have been shooting for over a month using 5d3 .RAW (latest 113 build). The file names look M(date)-HourMinute... from my understanding. Yesterday, the last file's name was M14-0504. My doubt is there will be another file with same name while I shot last month 14th, exact time. I do resolve-premiere roundtrip and file naming is extremely important. Will this not be a problem or someone find me a solution?? heard somewhere that renaming file to our convenience could make roundtrip worse. Thanks

Midphase

If you're on the Mac, a solution is coming your way. But yes, I actually shot a film using two 5D3's and the names were identical in several instances which caused quite a bit of headache in post.

anandkamal

unfortunately, I am using windows. Any solution? thanks

kihlbahkt

Using the cmd console in Windows you can rename files using dos commands.

For files that already exist...Put files from last month into their own directory.
if you are sitting in the same dir as the files  you want to rename, look into something like this.
ren *.mlv *_April.mlv

Which means:
rename all files with extension mlv to the same name but with _April added to the end of the filename

That would allow you to avoid the same filename issue you mentioned without too much hassle. You could choose other ways as well. Search for DOS command rename or ren.

Another solution for future shooting might be to change "File Numbering" option from the Canon Menu (at least in a 600D) to be different in each camera.

in win7 or below typing cmd into the search/run box will bring up the console where you would run the rename command.
Hope that helps.
600D x2