Raw on t3i

Started by Rodrigo Riedel, March 30, 2014, 09:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodrigo Riedel

Ok, I have a question. I have just finished reading about all TL 2.0 issues and I have decided to go for the nightly ML for the 600d. My question is, is there a modules folder I have to copy onto my sd card as well as the new auto exec file? I as this as I have read ther was a modules folder to enable raw video for the TL 2.0

rainless

No. Just get rid of the ML folder and autoexec.bin and copy the ones from the nightlies.

The modules are already included. You just have to load them.
The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

Rodrigo Riedel

Thank you rainless for your quick response

rainless

The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

Rodrigo Riedel

One more question rainless ( if I'm not over stepping my boundaries ), what is your opinion of ML nightly for RAW video for the 600d? All I can find on vimeo and YouTube are people who have used the T_2.0 and after reading the issues with it T_ i'm afraid to use it,especially when I also tend to take RAW photos and I can foresee leaving it on sRaw in movie mode and totally bricking my camera. Also are there cbr and GOP controllers in the ML nightly? I find these valuable when shooting h.264.
I hate asking these noobie questions, especially having scouted the forum and not been able to get a "plain English" answer as I am in no way a developer. I wish there was a page on this forum that would list the best setting for the or tutorial walking us through the best steps in getting the biggest resolution for RaW on the 600d.
Thank you so much on your support and answers to my question as I feel that the 600d is not talked enough.
Sincerely
Rodrigo

Audionut

Quote from: Rodrigo Riedel on April 01, 2014, 04:18:03 AM
All I can find on vimeo and YouTube are people who have used the TL 2.0 and after reading the issues with it TL I'm afraid to use it

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11080.0

rainless

Quote from: Rodrigo Riedel on April 01, 2014, 04:18:03 AM
One more question rainless ( if I'm not over stepping my boundaries ), what is your opinion of ML nightly for RAW video for the 600d? All I can find on vimeo and YouTube are people who have used the T_2.0 and after reading the issues with it T_ i'm afraid to use it,especially when I also tend to take RAW photos and I can foresee leaving it on sRaw in movie mode and totally bricking my camera. Also are there cbr and GOP controllers in the ML nightly? I find these valuable when shooting h.264.
I hate asking these noobie questions, especially having scouted the forum and not been able to get a "plain English" answer as I am in no way a developer. I wish there was a page on this forum that would list the best setting for the or tutorial walking us through the best steps in getting the biggest resolution for RaW on the 600d.
Thank you so much on your support and answers to my question as I feel that the 600d is not talked enough.
Sincerely
Rodrigo

No problem. I'm not new at all to Magic Lantern (I was an early supporter), but I did skip the entire year of 2013 when most of this "RAW video" stuff was happening. So I'm kinda new to that myself.

You can absolutely control the custom bit rate, but I have no idea what GOP is... (Some kinda republican thing? Like the Koch brothers? :p )

You don't have to be afraid of Tragic Lantern... you just have to understand it. I used it (quite accidentally) for a video shoot last weekend: http://www.dhienterprises.com/blogs/6

sRAW isn't enabled by default... It did, however, almost semi-brick my camera. But that was largely my fault (I thought the camera was off so I switched cards, turns out it was only in standby mode. I had to pull the battery many, MANY times before I could get it to read any card other than the TL card. And it wouldn't start up without the TL card inserted. But once I managed to finally get it to the point where it would start with no card inserted it was as good as new. Live and learn...)

The only reason you would have to use TL 2.0 (which is over a year old now) is to try some features (like sRAW) that have already been deprecated in the nightlies. I can't really think of any other reason why you'd use it.

Settings are pretty straightforward in the nightlies. All I've really had to do is enable either raw_rec or mlv_rec and set the resolution to 960x540 (and I can sometimes get away with one step higher). I leave most of the other settings to "off" and things usually go pretty smoothly.

I might do another shoot in the park later today. 960x540 certainly limits you as a videographer... but there are definitely still applications where you could be effective. (such as a shot of one person, or focus on one, small, moveable object... a duck would be a good example.)

But I see that there's going to be a 5d mkii or a 5d mkiii in my future soon...