DaVinci Resolve / Premiere CS6 workflow with Neat Video

Started by jose_ugs, March 29, 2014, 03:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jose_ugs

Hi all,
Whoever is using Resolve and Premiere CS6, please holler back :)
Here's what i use/do: DNGs come from Tonybeccar's MLV Converter, imported in DaVinci Resolve for basic image adjustments (no sharpening applied at this stage), then i export some proxies and proceed in Premiere CS6. After the cut i go back to Resolve for final CC. Here's the deal: i don't have Resolve's Noise Reduction (free version) but i do have Neat Video for Premiere. How should i proceed in order to keep the current workflow, but apply Noise Reduction in Premiere?
I was thinking... export a high-res color corrected material on the first place from Resolve into Premiere, NR there and proceed with the cut, but sometimes you go for the final look after you have your final cut... so, a bit lost here... Any suggestions?
Thank you for your time/expertise, in advance... and have a fineee weekend

dubzeebass

If the plugin is for Premiere then use it in Premiere. Not sure what you're looking for.

jose_ugs

We use proxies in Premiere with this workflow :) No point in NR'ing a proxy... Have i really not explained myself clearly enough? If so... i'll try again

edge11

Quote from: jose_ugs on March 29, 2014, 03:44:04 PM
Hi all,
Whoever is using Resolve and Premiere CS6, please holler back :)
Here's what i use/do: DNGs come from Tonybeccar's MLV Converter, imported in DaVinci Resolve for basic image adjustments (no sharpening applied at this stage), then i export some proxies and proceed in Premiere CS6. After the cut i go back to Resolve for final CC. Here's the deal: i don't have Resolve's Noise Reduction (free version) but i do have Neat Video for Premiere. How should i proceed in order to keep the current workflow, but apply Noise Reduction in Premiere?
I was thinking... export a high-res color corrected material on the first place from Resolve into Premiere, NR there and proceed with the cut, but sometimes you go for the final look after you have your final cut... so, a bit lost here... Any suggestions?
Thank you for your time/expertise, in advance... and have a fineee weekend
tag for later, will add my thoughts when i try it.

scarluuk

Well if you can spend a buck you can buy the OFX version of NEAT video and use it in Davinci resolve.
This way you can reconnect the proxies in davinci and do all your finishing work here.
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision.
Canon 5D mark III / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Samyang 14mm T3.1 / Samyang 24mm T1.5 / Canon 50mm F1.4 / Samyang 85mm T1.5

jose_ugs

Quote from: scarluuk on March 31, 2014, 02:53:26 AM
Well if you can spend a buck you can buy the OFX version of NEAT video and use it in Davinci resolve.
This way you can reconnect the proxies in davinci and do all your finishing work here.

I did that already, but at the time the Premiere plug made more sense. Now i have to spend €169.90 again for the OFX version :( Dammnnnnn, too much somehow.
Don't get me wrong, the plugin does best at what it does, but that price... not really ready to pay that much right now.
Who knows... if the "workaround" costs more time/effort/hdd space/etc...at the end, i might as well go for it

Pierluca72

I am considering to buy neat video and I think I am going to buy the premiere version. Here is my workflow: MLV to dng/ import into davinci resolve /export proxies / open proxies into premiere, cut and edit/ export edited premiere timeline to xml/ import xml to davinci (unchecking automatic import file) / color correction in davinci / export high quality individual clips/ open premiere proxies project and replace proxies with high quality/ final editing.. titles, apply some effects , fades ... At this last stage I would do the noise reduction in premiere. The reason why I do this last step, instead of exporting the final video in resolve, is that I prefer the options that you have in premiere for exporting to h264 for the web, plus effects that I like more in premiere, warp stabilizer for instance.  Hope it helped and sorry for my bad English.

jose_ugs

Are you sure you wanna NR at the very last stage?
You have already applied sharpening, CC, etc. etc... noise changed a whole lot till that point.

Pierluca72

I have not apply any sharpening up to this point, I would do that after noise reduction. At least this is what I have read so far in tutorials. But I am not a pro so please if you have some link to other tutorials that say otherwise, feel free to share them.

zacshome

Import to davinci, export proxies, edit your clips in premiere, export xml, replace clips in davinci, export dnxhd 444 single files back to premiere, then noise reduce, stabilize shots and sharpen what ever you wana do, then export as dnxhd444 again, import and detect clips. separate into separate clips then grade...then export again as 444 if you want to do titles etc . 444 exports so quickly it doesnt bother me..

Jbowdach

Noise reduction should go before color correction if possible, as CC can exacerbate noise. Nip it early

Channo786

Great workflow Tips.

Q: When Exporting to High Quality Back to Premiere OR FCPX, What Render settings do you choose? Let's say I use 5D Mark II camera that Recordings were 1856 x 790 24fps? Should you choose QuickTime ProRes 422(HQ) Or Tiffs Or QuickTime RGB 8b OR DNxHD 720p xxxxxNumbers I'm not even sure which one to choose from?
Please Note: My Target location of video is only Web to Vimeo or YouTube. So I only shoot at 24fps or 25fps PAL.

Further, At what point do you integrate After Effects into your pipeline workflow? Do you use Dynamic linking for that? Also, If you ARE going to use AE for final touch up, Do you mainly Export for web from this application instead of Premiere?

Thanks Awaiting for your thoughts and suggestions.